Help setup basic 5.0 HT around 70k budget

ramukmar.raj

Hi all, need some help in setting up my first HT in Bangalore.

Room dimensions: 10x14
Movies:Songs 80:20
Budget 70k

I have read so many posts here mostly on basic setups on this budget, so the first thing I learnt was to audition in some shops. I first wanted to check some HiTBs and then some proper HT setup with AVRs, so that I can actually feel the difference. First day I visited Croma and Reliance Digital expecting to check some common HiTBs like the yamaha 1840, but the yamaha ones are out of stock everywhere, so ultimately I was not able to audition any decent HiTB, I totally did not like their soundbars at all. They also said the yamaha HiTB are discontinued.

Then I went to ‘HiFi home theatre store’, HSR, they had excellent setups with proper sound treated rooms, they demoed some Denon AVR (dont remember the model, but price was around 70k) and taga harmony 607 package (but the surrounds they used were different though). I was totally mind blown. It totally felt like the room was filled with sound. It’s hard to explain, but to me it was better than most movie theatres. Later I asked them to add a 12” sub (dont remember which one they added), the difference was notable, but I was quite satisfied with the taga package itself without the sub.

So I wanted to take this route: Buy a beginner 5.1 AVR and a 5.0 speaker package and call it a day. Will probably add a sub next year. But not interested enough to get into DACs and preAmps and other complex stuff for now. I also mostly don’t want to get in this route: get a 2.0 book shelf - then center - then sub - then surrounds, mostly because its costlier and don’t have enough time to spend in auditioning in different places.

I discussed with the guy in the store and found out these details:
  • They dont have Yamaha/pioneer AVRs for now, as they are not available easily acc to him
  • They might get some Onkyo AVRs, but I don’t want to buy them, considering after sales service etc
  • Denon 250bt - 40.5k, 550bt - 46.5k
  • taga 506v2 - 37k, taga 606v3 - 47.5k
  • The above two will only be available after a few weeks, so I was not able to audition them, But I dont think I have enough experience to be able to feel enough difference from the ones I auditioned. So if I choose 250Bt and 506v2 and add some wires, it will come to 80k which is think is very high for this config, compared to the prices I read in posts in hifivision. But I guess the prices are inflated now. I’m guessing I might get only some small discount above these prices, as the guy said these are already 15% off on the MRP. (first he quoted everything in MRP and finally said 15% on top of everything)
Also I don’t think I will get the itch to upgrade to Atmos, considering the current availability of content and living in a rented house.

Should I wait for a few more weeks and audition 250bt and 506v2 then buy it? or find them from some store by calling them and placing order without auditioning?

You can consider I have done some basic research on speaker placements, subwoofer crawl etc. (before that, I used to think that we had to place all the speakers high on the walls, like I have seen in most friends/relatives houses).

Thinking about getting pre-owned equipment route - searching daily on Olx is hard, and I dont have enough privileges to comment on the classifieds section here to be able to buy it (unless the person mentions the contact details on the post itself) (or is it possible to DM the one who posted?? I don’t see any option for DM). Also the problem with used AVRs - I dont have enough experience to figure out if all the parts inside and genuine. But for speakers I’m totally ok with getting used ones. Will happily take the taga package if I find someone selling it.

If anyone is available in Kadubeesanahalli/Marathahalli and willing to showcase your setup, please let me know.

Please add your valuable suggestions on the AVR/speakers or on anything from above

You don't need DACs or Pre-Amps if you are using a AV Receiver. The entry level AVR and the speaker package that you have picked will definitely provide a clear sound in your room. Don't expect it to play crazy loud though.

As always, hearing it before buying is the way to go just in case you are not satisfied with the output the Denon 250 bt produces.

Edit: A sub will make a big difference to your setup. It will take the load of the receiver by using the crossovers and play louder and with more impact.

Last edited:
These are the specs for TAGA 506v2:
  • Floor standers 20-120W (90 RMS) and 6 Ohms
  • Center and Surrounds 20-100W (50 RMS) and 6 Ohms
First question what does this range mean, can i power these speakers even at 20W ? then at this power how much percentage of volume can be expected ? also does it mean - to enjoy full volume we need to provide 120W ?
And when checking compatibility with AVR power output should we just use the range(20-120 W) or the RMS(90 W) ?

The specs of denon 250Bt:
  • 130 watts per channel
    (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1%, 1ch driven)
  • 90 watts per channel
    (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%, 2ch driven)
  • 70 watts per channel
    (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.08%, 2ch driven
so for 6 ohms and 2 channels we are getting 90 watts. So it will be slightly lower when the center and surrounds are used as well right? so is this enough to power the taga 506v2 package ?

The below are the specs for denon x1600h:
  • 145 watts per channel
    (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1%, 1ch driven)
  • 120 watts per channel
    (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%, 2ch driven)
  • 80 watts per channel
    (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.08%, 2ch driven

so if we compare 250bt with 1600h, 2ch driven outputs are 90 watts vs 120 watts.
So is 1600h more capable of driving the taga 506?

what difference in sound can be felt when the same taga 506 is used with 250bt vs 1600h ??
Because if the difference is going to be minimal I might just stick with 250bt.

Receiver specs are notorious for misleading buyers.

Wattage at 8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.08%, 2ch driven is the spec that you should be looking at. This wattage drops when driving more than 2 speakers. Next important spec is the speaker sensitivity. In your case, the Floorstanders have a good sensitivity rating of near 90 db which means that it does not require a lot of power to go loud.

With either of the two receivers, a sub is going to make a difference.

I would say, wait for stocks to arrive and listen to the Denon 250 BT with the Taga that you want to buy. For all you know, you might be satisfied with it's output seeing that your room is not too big.

Budget 70k

I have read so many posts here mostly on basic setups on this budget, so the first thing I learnt was to audition in some shops. I first wanted to check some HiTBs and then some proper HT setup with AVRs, so that I can actually feel the difference. First day I visited Croma and Reliance Digital expecting to check some common HiTBs like the yamaha 1840, but the yamaha ones are out of stock everywhere, so ultimately I was not able to audition any decent HiTB, I totally did not like their soundbars at all. They also said the yamaha HiTB are discontinued.

Then I went to ‘HiFi home theatre store’, HSR, they had excellent setups with proper sound treated rooms, they demoed some Denon AVR (dont remember the model, but price was around 70k) and taga harmony 607 package (but the surrounds they used were different though). I was totally mind blown. It totally felt like the room was filled with sound. It’s hard to explain, but to me it was better than most movie theatres. Later I asked them to add a 12” sub (dont remember which one they added), the difference was notable, but I was quite satisfied with the taga package itself without the sub.

So I wanted to take this route: Buy a beginner 5.1 AVR and a 5.0 speaker package and call it a day. Will probably add a sub next year. But not interested enough to get into DACs and preAmps and other complex stuff for now. I also mostly don’t want to get in this route: get a 2.0 book shelf - then center - then sub - then surrounds, mostly because its costlier and don’t have enough time to spend in auditioning in different places.

• They dont have Yamaha/pioneer AVRs for now, as they are not available easily acc to him
  • They might get some Onkyo AVRs, but I don’t want to buy them, considering after sales service etc
  • The above two will only be available after a few weeks, so I was not able to audition them, But I dont think I have enough experience to be able to feel enough difference from the ones I auditioned. So if I choose 250Bt and 506v2 and add some wires, it will come to 80k which is think is very high for this config, compared to the prices I read in posts in hifivision. But I guess the prices are inflated now. I’m guessing I might get only some small discount above these prices, as the guy said these are already 15% off on the MRP. (first he quoted everything in MRP and finally said 15% on top of everything)
Also I don’t think I will get the itch to upgrade to Atmos, considering the current availability of content and living in a rented house.

Should I wait for a few more weeks and audition 250bt and 506v2 then buy it? or find them from some store by calling them and placing order without auditioning?

You can consider I have done some basic research on speaker placements, subwoofer crawl etc. (before that, I used to think that we had to place all the speakers high on the walls, like I have seen in most friends/relatives houses).

Thinking about getting pre-owned equipment route - searching daily on Olx is hard, and I dont have enough privileges to comment on the classifieds section here to be able to buy it (unless the person mentions the contact details on the post itself) (or is it possible to DM the one who posted?? I don’t see any option for DM). Also the problem with used AVRs - I dont have enough experience to figure out if all the parts inside and genuine. But for speakers I’m totally ok with getting used ones. Will happily take the taga package if I find someone selling it.

If anyone is available in Kadubeesanahalli/Marathahalli and willing to showcase your setup, please let me know.

Please add your valuable suggestions on the AVR/speakers or on anything from above

Rates are currently high for new items and hence it becomes a challenge to get what you want with a set budget. Keep a look out online for spot sales from Reliance Digital or Croma or other known dealers.

Pre Owned is the best route now to fulfill your need and use till you can get more budget to invest in something better later...whatever you pick now can be sold later to recover some funds for re investment.

Please visit the seller, do all necessary checks and demo...bargain as much as you can and make the purchase.....some suggestions below....

Entry Level

Next level systems, which are good

Speakers only

Budget 70k

New online:

Would suggest to speak to Anil from Hifi Mart who is very helpful and he can possibly provide a good deal for you!

I'm mostly not looking for a HTiB, also the olx links posted, many of some of them have no actual images, some with bad english, its hard to trust these. And in some of the good ones, the models are very old like more than 10yrs.
Another problem is the unavailability of avrs and speakers. I called like 10 stores in bangalore, only 1 had denon 250bt and nobody had taga harmony 506 in stock.
I will keep looking at classifieds and if I find any of these, will try to grab them.

only 1 had denon 250bt
Try to audition this with any other similar speakers available in the showroom. You will get an idea on how the receiver performs.

My friend has a Denon x1500h playing in a 22 feet by 22 feet in a 5.1.2 config with tiny Bose speakers and he is quite happy with it. The Tagas should perform better.

Budget 70k

Hello!!! Were you able to source your HT setup? If so, may I ask what’s the config?

I know this is a bit late, but IMO, if you have spent time with the dealer auditioning the gear, it is a good idea to support them by buying from them - i wouldnt shop at a dealer and then buy online to save a few thousand rupees. It is by supporting your local dealer that you then have the ability to try stuff before you buy.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back