HELP: Speaker recoiling expert : Paradigm Monitor

• Thread starter Deleted member 17547
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 17547

Hello friends,

I have 5 ear old Paradigm Monitor 9 speakers and one them have crackling sound from a woofer when low frequencies comes into play. Talked to one of the guy from Audio One Mumbai and he told me that recoiling needs to be done for the woofer. Somehow he already knew that it must be the lowest driver (It has two woofer driver) in the speaker.

Can anyone help me locating an expert who can repair my speaker at a reasonable price.

Would really appreciate any help.

Thanks
Vikram

Hi

It is best to recoil / re cone the speakers with the authorised dealers / service center as they will ensure the appropriate gauge of voice coil etc will be replaced.

Local repairers will use the closest match possible and in most cases inferior quality...which will definitely affect the performance you were used to....

Check with Audio One how much is the approx charge and what warranty is provided...in most cases, if repairing costs are high...it makes sense to put a little more money replace the speaker driver itself....check for the price of that too

Strangely, I had the same issue. Audio one sent a person to my house and we diagnosed that two of the woofers were damaged. So I have now ordered them, although they are quite expensive - 9k each plus taxes, so close to 20k.

If sound is coming out of the woofer that means coils are working. There may be some coil alignment or other issues.

Recoiling by a local person and using local supplies of materials ( spider, cone etc ) will give you a working speaker but it will not be like the original.

Some companies supply recone kits. Comes in a box like a speaker. Cone and coil and spider are already glued in place. You also get some glue and shims to align the cone. Any competent person can set it up. However email the company and see what they say. Some just offer the assembled driver only.

If you do play at very loud listening levels , when these drivers get overloaded and give trouble ( get damaged ) , you should consider getting one or two large sub woofers which can probably take a beating and not get damaged. Your main speakers will be safe.

are all the monitors prone to this ? i have a monitor 7 v6 and for certain music with certain bass there is a reverberating rattle and yes it seems from the lower of the two bass drivers. not sure if theres something loose inside or indeed its the driver only.

Check if the rubber surround gone bad.Then no need to recone,but change the surround rubber ring which cost low.

Recoiling by a local person and using local supplies of materials ( spider, cone etc ) will give you a working speaker but it will not be like the original.

Some companies supply recone kits. Comes in a box like a speaker. Cone and coil and spider are already glued in place. You also get some glue and shims to align the cone. Any competent person can set it up. However email the company and see what they say. Some just offer the assembled driver only.

If you do play at very loud listening levels , when these drivers get overloaded and give trouble ( get damaged ) , you should consider getting one or two large sub woofers which can probably take a beating and not get damaged. Your main speakers will be safe.
Pls suggest me which company supplies recone kit for my Sony 8'' subwoofers.

Pls suggest me which company supplies recone kit for my Sony 8'' subwoofers.

Whats wrong ?
1. Surround damaged
2. Voice coil scraping or coil burnt ( no sound). Could also be broken leadout.
3. Cone damaged

If you just say Sony 8 inch subwoofer it doesn't mean much. Sony could be using different models of 8 inch for different products. You need to mention the model of the sub woofer . That way you can search more easily. Most recone suppliers have only a replacement and it will not be the original spare. You have to be careful since you get a very VAST range of 8 inch drivers all with different cone diameters and surround diameters not to mention how the surrounds are glued in place.....apart from other issues. Drivers usually are specified by the outer frame size and not the cone diameter. That doesn't help you much !

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back