HELP - Stereo Setup - Marantz, Quad, ????

superbhikari

Hi Friends
I am about to purchase the following equipments for my stereo setup -

1) Stereo Amp - Marantz PM 7001 (22k)
2) Quad 11L2 Bookshelf speakers (30k)

I listen to Ghazals - Jagjit Singh, Chitra Singh, Pankaj Udas, Old Hindi songs, Hindi Film Music especially AR Rehmaan and Shankar Ehsaan Loy, Trance, Jazz and Instrumental Music.
This setup will be placed in my living area (20x20x15ft) complementing the 50" Plasma. Listening distance will be 8-10ft. I will be using the stereo setup for -
1) TV viewing + Music - 80%
2) Movies + Games - 20%

I auditioned FS - AAD 830, Elac, Yamaha, Jamo, Wharfdale 9.x and 10.x, Quad 22L2, Sonodyne, Lyrita Amity and BS - Wharfdale 9 and 10 series, Denon, Jamo, Quad 11L2.
After auditioning all the above speakers at various place in Delhi, I find Quad 11L2 to my liking within my budget (Initially it was 50k, then & now 75k).
Now i am in a dilemma to get a good sub musical to match with the quads. I auditioned Wharfdale SW150(20k) and Polk DSW600pro (26k). I liked Polk one better out of the two. I could no more be able to audition more subs in delhi due to important work schedule.
Here i require your urgent help to advise a good sub strictly under 25k which you think will/may complete my setup.:yahoo:

Few subs i catched while searching the forum -
DefTech Pro1000 and Velodyne Impact-12

After that will gradually be adding - Marantz/CA CDp ----> Pioneer DVDp----> Centre & Surround & if necessary AVR.:p

Hi , Thats a good choice you have made. Both Marantz and Quad are excellent products and you should get a trouble free listening for years to come. Having said that you can add a subwoofer later, if at all the need arises. Since your room is large for a stand mount , adding a sub will do justice for TV viewing, but for Music a 2.0 setup will give you more pleasure then using a sub ( unless you are a bass freak and listens to rock and techno)

See if you can get the sub that comes with the Quad Lite package, separately. It is the same design as their award winning L sub, but in a smaller size. If you can get one used (or ask Designer Audio or other dealers if they are willing), it will complement the 11Ls perfectly.

Well I would recommend the Wharfedale SW250 or the Velodyne Impact 12. You have to stretch your budget if you decide on either of the above.The SW250 is worth every penny. Infact, not even a single unit is available with the Bangalore dealer. All his stocks are sold.

Since you are particular about low frequency & adding a subwoofer, go for a 12" sub and not a 10" one.

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

None of the subs you mentioned are musical. Somehow this forum is more inclined towards Wharfedale but its a very stupid sub at this price point...... come to think of a Sub which cannot go below 35HZ so what the point to that, whereas Polk goes uptil 25Hz.
Now since you are assembling a stereo setup, I would request you to go for a Full range speakers rather than bookshelf, as music is always recorded in 2.0 channels rather than 2.1 channel so a sub at this price point of yours i.e 30K would never give you a true musical feeling. I would request you to consider your decision again.

@ Superbhikari

"Deciding between Wharfedale & Polk", note that both Wharfedale & Quad come under parent company IAG hence the possibility the Wharfedale could better match the 11L2 from tonality point.

And since you've kept aside some Rs. 20-25k towards the Sub, why don't you look at the Quad 12L2 that would belt out better low freq?

Incase you hold concrete plans to slowly extend this 2-ch setup to a HT, of course the Sub then plays its vital role so you can't discount it.

I didn't liked the Wharfdale SW150 with 11L2 when i auditioned it. Somehow bass was not in sync with the setup. I will definitely go for 12L2 if i could get cheaper sub.

Hi , Thats a good choice you have made. Both Marantz and Quad are excellent products and you should get a trouble free listening for years to come. Having said that you can add a subwoofer later, if at all the need arises. Since your room is large for a stand mount , adding a sub will do justice for TV viewing, but for Music a 2.0 setup will give you more pleasure then using a sub ( unless you are a bass freak and listens to rock and techno)

I completely agree with you but problem here is people and relatives here likes dham-dham music kind of music. Moreover we hold party every 3 months. Therefore, i m keen on Sub.

See if you can get the sub that comes with the Quad Lite package, separately. It is the same design as their award winning L sub, but in a smaller size. If you can get one used (or ask Designer Audio or other dealers if they are willing), it will complement the 11Ls perfectly.

I already enquired about it but it's not available seperatley. The l-ite 5.1 speaker setup is priced at 1 Lac.

Well I would recommend the Wharfedale SW250 or the Velodyne Impact 12. You have to stretch your budget if you decide on either of the above.The SW250 is worth every penny. Infact, not even a single unit is available with the Bangalore dealer. All his stocks are sold.

Since you are particular about low frequency & adding a subwoofer, go for a 12" sub and not a 10" one.

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Thanks for the valuable input. Will explore for both the above mentioned subs.

None of the subs you mentioned are musical. Somehow this forum is more inclined towards Wharfedale but its a very stupid sub at this price point...... come to think of a Sub which cannot go below 35HZ so what the point to that, whereas Polk goes uptil 25Hz.
Now since you are assembling a stereo setup, I would request you to go for a Full range speakers rather than bookshelf, as music is always recorded in 2.0 channels rather than 2.1 channel so a sub at this price point of yours i.e 30K would never give you a true musical feeling. I would request you to consider your decision again.

I would like to go that way but my budget is restricting me to do that. I can't go beyond 75k, subtract 22.5k for the amp and that leave me with 50-55k max for the speakers (either a FS or BS + Sub).
Out of the FS I auditioned, i was impresssed by AAD and Quad and both cost 75k+ alone. Suggest me FS in 55k which can be close/beat Quad 11L2, otherwise help me to get the best possible sub under 30k in your opinion keeping in mind that listening area is quite large too.

Quad 22L FS are on sale on Hifi Mart. 50k is negotiable price. See if the product is well maintained and you can bring the price down so that you can accommodate shipping. Since you liked 11L you will for sure like the sound of 22L

Quad 22L FS are on sale on Hifi Mart. 50k is negotiable price. See if the product is well maintained and you can bring the price down so that you can accommodate shipping. Since you liked 11L you will for sure like the sound of 22L

The product is located in Kolkata and these are old discontinued model. I am not willing to take risk for getting the FS shipped from Kolkata to Delhi and then from Delhi to my place.

The product is located in Kolkata and these are old discontinued model. I am not willing to take risk for getting the FS shipped from Kolkata to Delhi and then from Delhi to my place.

Being a discontinued model does not mean they are not good. And if properly and professionally packed (in wooden crate) i dont think there should be a problem. You can save quiet a lot.
Also you can find some Quad dealer in delhi who is offering a discounted price for those Quad FS. Have a listen to them if you find and then decide if they are good enough or not.

Being a discontinued model does not mean they are not good. And if properly and professionally packed (in wooden crate) i dont think there should be a problem. You can save quiet a lot.
Also you can find some Quad dealer in delhi who is offering a discounted price for those Quad FS. Have a listen to them if you find and then decide if they are good enough or not.

Ya, i agree dicontinued does'nt means they are not good but i caanot inspect the speakers in person due to the location and price guy is asking is quite much IMO for a discontinued model.
I am a bit skeptical to shell 40-50k without even having a look at the speakers.
Let me know any dealer who's having the used FS, since i cannot find it with the dealers i know.

Last edited:
Ya, i agree dicontinued does'nt means they are not good but i caanot inspect the speakers in person due to the location and price guy is asking is quite much IMO for a discontinued model.
I am a bit skeptical to shell 40-50k without even having a look at the speakers.
Let me know any dealer who's having the used FS, since i cannot find it with the dealers i know.

bass n treble, dwarka - delhi, contact denny..
he had 22L2 a month back, not sure about now..
but i dont think he will negotiate below 70k..

Dear Superbhikari where from are you getting the Marantz PM7001 Amp.at Rs 22000/- ? Is it available in Kolkata at this price?

I completely agree with you but problem here is people and relatives here likes dham-dham music kind of music. Moreover we hold party every 3 months. Therefore, i m keen on Sub.

The amp you're getting is a beautiful and sublime performer, which will not do well for dham-dham music anyway. I suggest you think again about what you want from your music setup. Don't waste money on a sub which is "sub"standard (pun intended), when you could have a great 2.0 setup. You've made an excellent choice with the quads and marantz combination. The 11L2 have good bass and excellent clarity. They will suffice for most genres of music and can play quite loud. Don't sacrifice the music for the sake of your relatives/friends/parties and a few minutes "wow" factor. They will not appreciate the sub in the long term anyway. Spend the rest of your 25K on excellent stands, maybe upgrade to the 12L2 or get a good equipment rack to house everything in.

If nothing else, save that 25K, wait a year more for a good budget and then spend on the sub. Maybe the Lite sub will be available then for much less. I have made the mistake you're about to make, when I started out in audio....which is ..impatience. Believe me, a cheap sub (20-25K) will not give you as much enjoyment as a good pair of bookshelves (11L/12L) on good stands, all connected well together. There are much better ways to improve your setup, without the sub, at this point. Hell, spend the 25K and get yourself all the CDs you wanted to buy. :cool: :clapping:

Just my advice since I've gone through this route before and ended up being dissatisfied.

-Jinx.

Took the plunge finally and got the following stuff last week -
1- Marantz PM7001 Amp - 22k
2- Pioneer Dv220 DVDp - 4.5k
3- Quad 11L2 speakers - 28k
4- Polk DSWpro600 sub - 26k
5- DAC spk n sub cable - 1.7k

Setup all the stuff except the sub since sub power left at delhi house....will set the sub next week and will then post complete review.

Hmm you've spent the least on one of the most important components - the CDP.

Hope it lasts in your setup .. :)

Cheers

Took the plunge finally and got the following stuff last week -
1- Marantz PM7001 Amp - 22k
2- Pioneer Dv220 DVDp - 4.5k
3- Quad 11L2 speakers - 28k
4- Polk DSWpro600 sub - 26k
5- DAC spk n sub cable - 1.7k

Congrats for your setup.
One query: Is there a separate o/p from DVDp for the sub?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back