help to buy home theater speaker package

balar_amit

hi friend
i am new here
pls help me to buy a home theater amp, floor standing, woofers and bookself
my budget is 60 to 80k
i am from gujrat.pls give me a good seller detail in mumbai.
pls give me a reply

Balar,

last week my friend bought a 7.1 denon hometheatre for 56k.
The AVR was 1909 and speakers and woofer were pro fx.
They another one for around 60k with polk monitor 60 series.

Maybe you should try a package like Onkyo 7.1 which is around 43k. YOu won't get towers here.

If it is a first buy always go for package as the wires and interconnects come along. And you can always upgrade one by one.
If you wan't to set up individually, then it is a tedious process, unless you have done this before.

if you would have asked me two months back, I would have gone with the PROFX+Denon AVR package.
I have owned a Denon for the last three years and have been quite happy with it. Unfortunately, the AVR went into standby protection mode and PROFX, who are the authorised distributors of Denon have still not repaired. Its been lying at their service centre for the last 47 days. Their after sales service is horrendous:eek:the part availabilty is very very poor:eek: and their service rates are very very high.:eek: If you speak to their manager, they act very very high and mighty.:mad:

I would suggest that you look at a Yamaha + Wharfedale package for your hometheatre. Wharfedales speakers are good and very well priced too. I am sure you will be able to mange a good package within your budget. Look at Wharfedale Diamond series;)

Gurudristi.
is profx so bad. Cause recently I bought 2309den and polk600prosub from them. And they had a stall in my place mysore and made friend buy also. I hope my friend won't curse me for life.

pls help me to buy a home theater amp, floor standing, woofers and bookself my budget is 60 to 80k

If you take out say 40,000 for an AVR, you are left with another 40,000. It is very difficult to configure a 5.1 speaker set with floor standing fronts. It is better to look at just bookshelves, a center, and a sub. You should listen to options such as the The Q-Acoustics 1010i.

Any particular reason you are looking for floor standers for the front speakers?

What about other items of an HT system - DVD Player, Cables, etc? I am assuming you have different budget for a TV.

Cheers

If you take out say 40,000 for an AVR, you are left with another 40,000. It is very difficult to configure a 5.1 speaker set with floor standing fronts. It is better to look at just bookshelves, a center, and a sub. You should listen to options such as the The Q-Acoustics 1010i.

Any particular reason you are looking for floor standers for the front speakers?

What about other items of an HT system - DVD Player, Cables, etc? I am assuming you have different budget for a TV.

Cheers

thanks for help
in this cost i need just speaker and amp.
dvd player and cables etc are already installed in my ht.
i have no particular reason for floor standing speakers ,but
i like floor standing speaker speacially for look .
pls suggest me amp and speakers in my budjet.

regard
Amit Patel

'Installed in my HT'. What exactly do you have in place already? Are you looking to replace some parts?

i have no particular reason for floor standing speakers ,but i like floor standing speaker speacially for look .

This is the first time I have heard this reasoning. Are you an interior decorator by any chance? The Front speakers are a critical part of a HT system and should be chosen carefully.

You should look for an AVR around 30 to 40K. Options available are Yamaha 663, Onkyo 606. Denon 1909, and Marantz SR4003 or SR5003. If you are particular about movies and are looking for the crash and bang look for Yamaha and Onkyo. If you are looking for good music first followed by good movies Denon and Marantz may be better options.

Suggesting speakers without any background information is slightly tough. There are so many options in the market. Popular options are Wharfedale, Energy, Polk, Mission, Mordaunt Short, PSB, Canton, Acoustic Energy, Q-Acoustics, etc.

if you give us some details of the kind of movies you see and the music you listen to, we can shortlist some candidates for you.

Cheers

Hi Amit

Given your budget, I think you should pick a decent AVR from the list that Venkat has put forth and start with a 2.1 bookshelf system and when you have additional funds, go for a 5.1 (you can move the bookshelves to rear at that time). This is a better route than go with lower value (quality) full 5.1 system now.

Also take your fav tunes and go and listen to some of the speakers (dont worry about price for now if its is a bit higher) and see what type of sound you like and then once you put down the model nos. it may be easier to get a close match.

thanks for help
in this cost i need just speaker and amp.
i have no particular reason for floor standing speakers ,but
i like floor standing speaker speacially for look .

regard
Amit Patel

Gurudristi.
is profx so bad. Cause recently I bought 2309den and polk600prosub from them. And they had a stall in my place mysore and made friend buy also. I hope my friend won't curse me for life.

Denon is a good buy. There is no doubt about it.

I have no idea about PROFX setup in your city and therefore cannot comment.
But, for sure, they will not get any praises from me for Mumbai. Incidentally, my reciever got repaired on same day as my last post. ie. after 47 days in PROFX workshop. My bill was Rs 10,000/=!!!!:mad: I had earleir been told that a transistor had blown and it would be a minor repair. So much so for a blown transistor. They never told me ever that the parts are going to cost a packet. In the estimate given, they had only said Rs4000labour + parts extra.They refused to given me the break up of the parts used, neither they gave me back the failed parts even on my requests. The receipt just said service charges.....and thats it:(

They rang me and told me the repair had been done and I had to cough up the money, Alternatively, they threatened that they will take out the part and give me back my reciever. I even spoke with their Regional Manager and he was equally bad behaved. All this was done since I had not bought the receiver from them and had bought it in Singapore while I was posted there. With the behaviour they showed, I was scared that they might even spoil my expensive receiver and therefore bowed down to their black mail.:eek:
This was my experience with them.:mad:
I fail to understand their unethical behaviour to fleece me or even behave so irresponsibly. The love for Denon could have made me a regular customer for them for life:(

I have had nothing but exemplary behavior from the Onkyo authorized dealer myself. But in malls like E-Zone, Reliance Digital, X-Cite its another story. Most (if not all) of the staff don't know anything, are least helpful, and don't even want to give a demo.

Coming to ProFX here in Hyderabad, a sad lot to say the least. Again will size a person based on their clothes/appearance and generally very unhelpful. I had gone to purchase KEF speakers, but the guy was so rude and did not seem to think I could afford them so he treated me as such. I ended up buying the stuff from Singapore for 70% of what's quoted at ProFX.

Hi Guru

I feel for you and its shameful that the few people spoil the entire experience. I would write a detailed letter (not email) in a chronological fashion to Denon HQ (Japan) with Cc. to Singapore Denon with xerox copies of the receipt and any other documentation including the people you dealt with. At least it will bring the attention to their light. Sometimes the response from HQ might surpise you in a pleasant way...

Denon is a good buy. There is no doubt about it.

I have no idea about PROFX setup in your city and therefore cannot comment.
But, for sure, they will not get any praises from me for Mumbai. Incidentally, my reciever got repaired on same day as my last post. ie. after 47 days in PROFX workshop. My bill was Rs 10,000/=!!!!:mad: I had earleir been told that a transistor had blown and it would be a minor repair. So much so for a blown transistor. They never told me ever that the parts are going to cost a packet. In the estimate given, they had only said Rs4000labour + parts extra.They refused to given me the break up of the parts used, neither they gave me back the failed parts even on my requests. The receipt just said service charges.....and thats it:(

They rang me and told me the repair had been done and I had to cough up the money, Alternatively, they threatened that they will take out the part and give me back my reciever. I even spoke with their Regional Manager and he was equally bad behaved. All this was done since I had not bought the receiver from them and had bought it in Singapore while I was posted there. With the behaviour they showed, I was scared that they might even spoil my expensive receiver and therefore bowed down to their black mail.:eek:
This was my experience with them.:mad:
I fail to understand their unethical behaviour to fleece me or even behave so irresponsibly. The love for Denon could have made me a regular customer for them for life:(

Hi Guru

I feel for you and its shameful that the few people spoil the entire experience. I would write a detailed letter (not email) in a chronological fashion to Denon HQ (Japan) with Cc. to Singapore Denon with xerox copies of the receipt and any other documentation including the people you dealt with. At least it will bring the attention to their light. Sometimes the response from HQ might surpise you in a pleasant way...

Thanks a lot. I could not find their e-mail ids, I was also in two minds to write to them.
Currently, I am in discussion with my lawyer and planning to take PROFX to the consumer court. Lets see what they recommend

Thanks a lot. I could not find their e-mail ids, I was also in two minds to write to them.
Currently, I am in discussion with my lawyer and planning to take PROFX to the consumer court. Lets see what they recommend

Guru - prefer physical mail over email. Get the names from the company directory on the website.

RE: lawyer...thats a major move but I don't think you will get much out of it after the trouble/effort/money. Legally Denon India need not have done anything with your AVR. The fact that they did not confirm any return service levels means they could have had it for another 6 months. Also what have you done during the wait to show it was hampering any of your activities? I am very far from being an expert in law just trying to be the devil's advocate here.

Guru - prefer physical mail over email. Get the names from the company directory on the website.

RE: lawyer...thats a major move but I don't think you will get much out of it after the trouble/effort/money. Legally Denon India need not have done anything with your AVR. The fact that they did not confirm any return service levels means they could have had it for another 6 months. Also what have you done during the wait to show it was hampering any of your activities? I am very far from being an expert in law just trying to be the devil's advocate here.

Dear Marsilians,
Thanks a lot for your help.:)
If you have the names of the Denon guys in Singapore, then probably I can write to them directly. I knew one Mr Jimmy Quek at D&M Singapore, but unfortunately while all this was going on, I tried to contact him, but his e-mail does not seem to work.

But, in any case, I do plan to take them to the consumer court... I have lawyer freinds and they are not busy these days.....:( I dont even mind spending the money, the trouble these people gave me:mad:)....But, atleast, I will make their life a bit tough for a while also. You never know, it might help a lot of our other freinds who might have been subject to similar black mailing.

The fact that PROFX accepted my AVR for repairs and gave me an estimate by paper for labour, the fact they called me the next day and informed me about the blown transistor and repairs were minor, the fact that they sent me sms, the fact that they never gave me an estimate of cost of spare parts for my approval if the cost was going to be 20% higher than estimated. They did not even let me know the details of the parts, even on my insisitance(sms exchanges with their service and Sales), the fact that on delivery, they never gave me a break-up of repairs but just a receipt saying "service charges Rs so and so "....
They never took approval for repairs from me, They never gave breakup of labour and parts, they never returned failed parts inspite of my insistance. The service chages charged are just adhoc. All these points have been mentioned on the delivery challan when I made payment and took the repaired AVR subject to these conditions. :confused:
I am sure all the above are good enough to take them to the consumer court...and of course I will also be claiming for the mental agony they gave me during these 47 days.
I dont know whether I should be writing all the above on this forum... but since you enquired...

Last edited:
Dear Marsilians,
Thanks a lot for your help.:)
If you have the names of the Denon guys in Singapore, then probably I can write to them directly. I knew one Mr Jimmy Quek at D&M Singapore, but unfortunately while all this was going on, I tried to contact him, but his e-mail does not seem to work.

But, in any case, I do plan to take them to the consumer court... I have lawyer freinds and they are not busy these days.....:( I dont even mind spending the money, the trouble these people gave me:mad:)....But, atleast, I will make their life a bit tough for a while also. You never know, it might help a lot of our other freinds who might have been subject to similar black mailing.

The fact that PROFX accepted my AVR for repairs and gave me an estimate by paper for labour, the fact they called me the next day and informed me about the blown transistor and repairs were minor, the fact that they sent me sms, the fact that they never gave me an estimate of cost of spare parts for my approval if the cost was going to be 20% higher than estimated. They did not even let me know the details of the parts, even on my insisitance(sms exchanges with their service and Sales), the fact that on delivery, they never gave me a break-up of repairs but just a receipt saying "service charges Rs so and so "....
They never took approval for repairs from me, They never gave breakup of labour and parts, they never returned failed parts inspite of my insistance. The service chages charged are just adhoc. All these points have been mentioned on the delivery challan when I made payment and took the repaired AVR subject to these conditions. :confused:
I am sure all the above are good enough to take them to the consumer court...and of course I will also be claiming for the mental agony they gave me during these 47 days.
I dont know whether I should be writing all the above on this forum... but since you enquired...

Hey man, I am no lawyer but looks to me you've got a strong case. Those guys just trampled upon all your rights as a consumer.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back