i going to buy my first ht system.
i m going with magnat speakers
front speakers : Monitor Supreme 2000
center speaker : Monitor supreme 250
Bookshelf speaker : Monitor supreme 200
Subwoofer : Monitor supreme 301A
Avreceiver : Denon X2000
total cost 1.60Lk

but the problem is in sub woofer it has 100 watts rms power and with the same price other woofer has around 300 watts rms power for example JBL Es260p

when i called magnat dealer they told me that their product measure power on 8ohms and other company measured in 6 ohms so magnat woofer 100 watts power is equalant to JBl's 300 watts powers

are they right ???
and m i right on choosing magnat speakers ??

plz help to solve my issue

thanks

Hi alkeshrp

Well congratulations on your new Home Theatre setup. I don't intend to dampen your spirits on the choice you have made here but there are a few things you may want to make note of before going headlong into any system....this comes from me who is a professional DJ and have used a variety of Home Theatre systems over the past 11 years...

The heart of any Home Theatre system is the centre speaker and the subwoofer. The remaining speakers (Front & Rear) are just passengers to provide the effects and support for the concert or movie during playback. This means the centre speaker and the subwoofer need to be the top most quality in terms of performance and power.

This is the first I am hearing about Magnat speakers and am impressed with the technical aspects mentioned...it seems the sensitivity levels are 90db and beyond which is good this puts less strain on the AVR and sound delivery is supposedly flawless.

AVR X 2000 is having an output of 95w rms (20hz-20khz) per channel, I noticed that the centre speaker you selected is between 75w rms - 150 w rms.....I would recommend you selecting a Centre speaker which can deliver between 100w - 150w rms

Powered subwoofers have specific inbuilt amplifiers to drive it. These amps are either Class 'D' or 'A' or 'B' depending on the kind of inbuilt amplifier the power and quality of sound is outputted. The subwoofer you have selected is 100w rms with a peak at 200w. I use a Boston Acoustics subwoofer which is 100w rms with 250w peak with BassTrac technology.

The best subwoofer in the world is Velodyne and their best model is IMPACT 12....you should seriously consider this one if quality and performance matters....would cost around 28-33k in India.

The Fronts and Rears you have selected are pretty decent and I hope you have auditioned these speakers with the same AVR or something close to that.

Today the AVR manufacturers are just in for money and competition. Not many are really concentrating on quality and actual performance. The below link will guide you to some extent and this site also has been recommended by some very senior FMs.

AV Receiver and Amplifier Power Ratings Trends: How and Why Wattage Ratings are Manipulated | Audioholics

After using Yamaha / Denon / BOSE / Pioneer / Harmon Kardon / Onkyo for the past 11 years, I finally made up my mind to use a Marantz which for the past 1 year has not stopped to amaze me with its true performance. Ofcourse I did a good 2-3 months research hearing a lot of demos over other AVRs and speakers ...nothing compared to the Marantz who provided a nice warm audiophile touch to music and excellent performance for movies...like all other AVRs Marantz has the suite of surround sound modes for Music /gaming / movies....what intrigued me was the simplicity and the looks...performance did matter. It had all the possible available connection input modes (analog, composite, HDMI) which helps in the long run. Besides the Bass + Treble, it has M-DAX feature which cleans the MP3s you play to CD quality..the most important of all was the 9 band adjustable EQ which is something most brands don't offer...this was the most important thing I was hunting for in an AVR and now I have it....although there is auto audyssey setup to do things...I configured my AVR manually to my tastes..

The Boston Acoustic speakers I use is the soundware XS 5.1 and fortunately for me a couple of dealers were selling them and so I got a good chance to hear them in person even after seeing a lot of performance videos posted by users over the net. They are any day better than the BOSE acoustimass speakers....Bose used to make good stuff in the 80s and 90s .. sadly today not one product is worth its money.

JBL Cinema series or the Northridge series was the best selling and most talked about speakers and personally I wanted to get them then....due to budget issues did not and now to some extent they are discontinued.

The Marantz I use is only 50w rms per channel but let this number not fool you....when I auditioned it connected to Focal bookshelf speakers...it was truly amazing...the other shortlisted AVR was the X500 which honestly did not appeal to me as when I cranked up the volume ...it delivered more noise rather than warmth and punch...X500 is 75w rms per channel. I auditioned the same content on the same speakers over the Marantz and Denon....finally settled for the Marantz as it had better logical features which I wanted, the connectivity options and ofcourse the commendable performance. If the speakers have a high sensitivity 90db + e...low powered AVRs can easily drive it.

The Speakers bottom line need to be of good quality in terms of Cone material (Kevlar or treated paper) You need to be sure and hear it perform over all the frequencies..(20hz - 20khz). It would be ideal you demo the speakers hearing music with slow and fast beats...movies with real action scenes of crashes, explosions, glass breaking, this will show if the speakers can handle all frequencies in one go at the spur of the moment...also demo some regional classics or Sufis / ghazal songs to hear the clarity in voices.

It also greatly matters to use the right gauge of speaker cables which need to be Oygen Free Cables (OFC) Minimum AWG 16....Max AWG14/12. The content (MP3s or Movie files) being played over a decent player also need to be of high quality too. All these aspects compliment each other to give you the ultimate performance. You need to make sure that the speakers last longer as most HT owners keep changing their AVRs over a few years with new technology coming in....3D pass thru now it is 4K...tomorrow god knows...whats next...Speakers after sales service or repairs matter.

Remember the Home Theatre dealer gives you a demo in a special computerised designed room and hence anything or rather everything sounds great...most of us often end up disappointed when the same system sounds crap at home.

The Marantz + Bostons I used work well in a 200 sq ft area room at 40% volume..been over a year now and have no issues but always look forward to hearing the system everyday once I am back from work.......my 5 friends have literally copied the same system in their homes...you can click on my user name and read various posts. Personally I would go in for the B&W CM series ot 600 series which match well with Marantz..budget's an issue now...but will get there soon and own it.

There are tons of reviews and videos over the internet to help you shortlist any AVR or speakers...please make sure that atleast 3 reputed reviews support your decision and then ofcourse your demo experience..

Hope this helps.

Hi alkeshrp

Well congratulations on your new Home Theatre setup. I don't intend to dampen your spirits on the choice you have made here but there are a few things you may want to make note of before going headlong into any system....this comes from me who is a professional DJ and have used a variety of Home Theatre systems over the past 11 years...

The heart of any Home Theatre system is the centre speaker and the subwoofer. The remaining speakers (Front & Rear) are just passengers to provide the effects and support for the concert or movie during playback. This means the centre speaker and the subwoofer need to be the top most quality in terms of performance and power.

This is the first I am hearing about Magnat speakers and am impressed with the technical aspects mentioned...it seems the sensitivity levels are 90db and beyond which is good this puts less strain on the AVR and sound delivery is supposedly flawless.

AVR X 2000 is having an output of 95w rms (20hz-20khz) per channel, I noticed that the centre speaker you selected is between 75w rms - 150 w rms.....I would recommend you selecting a Centre speaker which can deliver between 100w - 150w rms

Powered subwoofers have specific inbuilt amplifiers to drive it. These amps are either Class 'D' or 'A' or 'B' depending on the kind of inbuilt amplifier the power and quality of sound is outputted. The subwoofer you have selected is 100w rms with a peak at 200w. I use a Boston Acoustics subwoofer which is 100w rms with 250w peak with BassTrac technology.

The best subwoofer in the world is Velodyne and their best model is IMPACT 12....you should seriously consider this one if quality and performance matters....would cost around 28-33k in India.

The Fronts and Rears you have selected are pretty decent and I hope you have auditioned these speakers with the same AVR or something close to that.

Today the AVR manufacturers are just in for money and competition. Not many are really concentrating on quality and actual performance. The below link will guide you to some extent and this site also has been recommended by some very senior FMs.

AV Receiver and Amplifier Power Ratings Trends: How and Why Wattage Ratings are Manipulated | Audioholics

After using Yamaha / Denon / BOSE / Pioneer / Harmon Kardon / Onkyo for the past 11 years, I finally made up my mind to use a Marantz which for the past 1 year has not stopped to amaze me with its true performance. Ofcourse I did a good 2-3 months research hearing a lot of demos over other AVRs and speakers ...nothing compared to the Marantz who provided a nice warm audiophile touch to music and excellent performance for movies...like all other AVRs Marantz has the suite of surround sound modes for Music /gaming / movies....what intrigued me was the simplicity and the looks...performance did matter. It had all the possible available connection input modes (analog, composite, HDMI) which helps in the long run. Besides the Bass + Treble, it has M-DAX feature which cleans the MP3s you play to CD quality..the most important of all was the 9 band adjustable EQ which is something most brands don't offer...this was the most important thing I was hunting for in an AVR and now I have it....although there is auto audyssey setup to do things...I configured my AVR manually to my tastes..

The Boston Acoustic speakers I use is the soundware XS 5.1 and fortunately for me a couple of dealers were selling them and so I got a good chance to hear them in person even after seeing a lot of performance videos posted by users over the net. They are any day better than the BOSE acoustimass speakers....Bose used to make good stuff in the 80s and 90s .. sadly today not one product is worth its money.

JBL Cinema series or the Northridge series was the best selling and most talked about speakers and personally I wanted to get them then....due to budget issues did not and now to some extent they are discontinued.

The Marantz I use is only 50w rms per channel but let this number not fool you....when I auditioned it connected to Focal bookshelf speakers...it was truly amazing...the other shortlisted AVR was the X500 which honestly did not appeal to me as when I cranked up the volume ...it delivered more noise rather than warmth and punch...X500 is 75w rms per channel. I auditioned the same content on the same speakers over the Marantz and Denon....finally settled for the Marantz as it had better logical features which I wanted, the connectivity options and ofcourse the commendable performance. If the speakers have a high sensitivity 90db + e...low powered AVRs can easily drive it.

The Speakers bottom line need to be of good quality in terms of Cone material (Kevlar or treated paper) You need to be sure and hear it perform over all the frequencies..(20hz - 20khz). It would be ideal you demo the speakers hearing music with slow and fast beats...movies with real action scenes of crashes, explosions, glass breaking, this will show if the speakers can handle all frequencies in one go at the spur of the moment...also demo some regional classics or Sufis / ghazal songs to hear the clarity in voices.

It also greatly matters to use the right gauge of speaker cables which need to be Oygen Free Cables (OFC) Minimum AWG 16....Max AWG14/12. The content (MP3s or Movie files) being played over a decent player also need to be of high quality too. All these aspects compliment each other to give you the ultimate performance. You need to make sure that the speakers last longer as most HT owners keep changing their AVRs over a few years with new technology coming in....3D pass thru now it is 4K...tomorrow god knows...whats next...Speakers after sales service or repairs matter.

Remember the Home Theatre dealer gives you a demo in a special computerised designed room and hence anything or rather everything sounds great...most of us often end up disappointed when the same system sounds crap at home.

The Marantz + Bostons I used work well in a 200 sq ft area room at 40% volume..been over a year now and have no issues but always look forward to hearing the system everyday once I am back from work.......my 5 friends have literally copied the same system in their homes...you can click on my user name and read various posts. Personally I would go in for the B&W CM series ot 600 series which match well with Marantz..budget's an issue now...but will get there soon and own it.

There are tons of reviews and videos over the internet to help you shortlist any AVR or speakers...please make sure that atleast 3 reputed reviews support your decision and then ofcourse your demo experience..

Hope this helps.

Superb insight into the world of home theatres..Newbies should read this before venturing into this arena...:clapping::clapping:

1. You don't have to go with a subwoofer from the same manufacturer as the rest of your speakers. There are manufacturers that are very good at subs and you can consider one of them.
2. Velodyne makes great subwoofers but the Impact 12 is only their entry level series. The Eq-Max and such models from Velodyne are better and play much lower freq.
3. Also consider SVS, Definitive Technology or even the Polk DSW series for subwoofers.

Hi alkeshrp

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for taking interest

i m living in ahmedabad/india. here i m not able to get other company dealer. i have very few option only like JBL, MORDUANT SHOURT, MAGNAT, POLK AUDIO, SONODYNE and i m able to get demo of JBL and MAGNAT. i found both r quite same in features and demo (JBL ES80 vs MAGNAT MS 2000). only main difference is in subwoofer other specification of MAGNAT is better and price is cheap. my main concern in bass effect bcoz i love it very much. thats why i m confused in subwoofer. magnat 301 a is 37k price and jbl studio 260p is around 45k. i have researched a lot for best subwoofer and i m unable to get at my place.

plz suggest good woofer from these company around my budget (under 40k)
thanks once again.

In my opinion, drop the Magnat subwoofer and go for something like Velodyne, Definitive Technology etc. If your needs are mostly movies, then go for Polk DSW series (550 or 660) - they are pretty good for the price

Hi Friends

my main reason to choose magnat is bcoz they give 5 years on site replacement and their service is very fast. but anyway after long research on internet i finally decide not to buy magnat subwoofer. so plz guy help to choose any 1 subwoofer from below list

1) Polk Audio DSW PRO 660wi (12" rms 400w, 40k)
2) Polk Audio PSW 125 (12" rms 150w, 20k)
2) JBL studio 260p (12" rms 300w, 45k)
3) JBL es250 (12" rms 400w, 40k)
4) Boston Acoustics ASW650 650 (10" rms 300w, 33k)

Hi,

Go for the Boston ASW650 and if you purchase from HiFi Mart you will get it for 28k...it is 300w rms and 600w peak...has bass trac which helps to eliminate distortion....I use Bostons at home and it is amazing...

Hope this helps

Go for a good sub such as velodyne or svs even if you have to exceed your budget as it makes a good difference for HT. Svs is considered the best though expensive to velodyne

I Feel Velodyne is reasonable for our pockets for now...SVS is meant for those who can afford to spend more.....

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back