Help with building a system around the ipod and my laptop

gsnithin

I already own an amplifier and a set of bookshelf speakers. I was wishing to hook it up with my laptop and Ipod . Now I understand that using the ipod or the laptop's music output from the headphone jack will harm the final audio quality. I was looking for a ipod dock that can achieve the following objectives.

1. Convert Pre-amplified music from my ipod(from the dock connection) to RCA output.
2. charge the ipod
3. Also double up as a USB sound card for my system(optional)

I know its a little too much to ask of a dock. Any help will be appreciated.

Also look at Cambridge iD50

iD50 premium docking station

Myself & Santhol2 recently bought the lower end version iD10 and quite satisfied with that (Doesn't work with Iphone perfectly though). It can also be controlled from one for all remote

I already own an amplifier and a set of bookshelf speakers. I was wishing to hook it up with my laptop and Ipod . Now I understand that using the ipod or the laptop's music output from the headphone jack will harm the final audio quality. I was looking for a ipod dock that can achieve the following objectives.

1. Convert Pre-amplified music from my ipod(from the dock connection) to RCA output.
2. charge the ipod

Need to know
1) Your Laptop Model
2) ipod Modelt
3) Speaker Model
4) Max Budget
5) Indivisual Budget

I can sugget you a DAC ( Digital to Analouge Converter) and Ipod dock with Digital out ,but you may need some technical explaination about lossless music Etc....so let us have more data

As Hemant mentioned, an idea of price would be helpful. There are many out there starting from the likes of Krell, Wadia etc. to the Onkyo ND-S1 All this will help you get the best out of your ipod.

Really delighted with the quick reply. Thank you all.

@Hemant, Unleash_me:
My laptop is dell lattitudeD630(I know its not exactly built for multimedia performance, hence I am looking for a USB soundcard). I own an 4th gen ipod nano. I have an unbranded amplifier I got some years ago, so I don't really know a lot about it, though it delivers a decent sound. My speakers are the mission M30i(may exchange it for a wharfedale 9.1 soon).
I hope this info will suffice. I am in a bschool right now so kind of constrained on the budget front. My personal target is below INR 2K, but could extend it by another 2K max.(I realize I may be asking too much for the price. Please do also let me know of any highly recommended product, as I could postpone my decision on the sound card for later and go for a ipod dock/charger for now)
Thanks again..

Last edited:
2-4 K max Hummmmmmm''

Buddy the best option is to change software......
Really
On your lap and ipod you listen to compressed music MP3 is generally 10% compression of music.
Now you can rip CD's lossless - where filesize is big but sound quality is good.

FLAC and Apple Lossless ( Playble on Ipod) are 2 popular lossles formats

How you can get them -pls PM me :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

To untrained years also FLAC sounds good. There is a media player called Foobar - read all about it on net ,install it and start experementing with lossless

Cost - Rs 0 ( I think in IIM you get pretty good bandwidth)

Now get a quality cable -MX ,indiam make to good one -HEadphone (3.5 mm) out at one eand 2 RCA at another and see if you get any difference connecting the amp while playing lossless -

Cost -100 to 400 Rs- Cable ( Less than a beer session in PUB! ) ( Anyway do not drink beer - you'll put on weight -Drink Whiskey or Rum!)
500 to 1000 Rs - Cheap Ipod Dock

Now i find a lot of unbranded amps too lousy -don't loose heart -in 2.5 to 4 k you can get a used vintage ( 15+ year old) amp.just search.The brands may be Sansui,Technics etc ,Start using it and you will find the difference.

Now there are USB based DAC's available ( Digital to Analougue converter)If you have any acess to US I found some cheap one on Ebay... Thety are decent sound enhancement ..

MUSE HIFI USB to S/PDIF Converter USB DAC PCM2704 - eBay (item 170428921678 end time Feb-05-10 07:45:48 PST)

Topping D1 USB Sound Card DAC x Headphone Amp x Pre-Amp - eBay (item 370326098179 end time Feb-02-10 04:29:46 PST)

SM29 MKII HIFI USB Sound Card+SPDIF&Toslink&I2S for DAC - eBay (item 300363716245 end time Feb-02-10 01:22:55 PST)

"HOTAUDIO DAC DESTROYER" USB HEADPHONE AMP AMPLIFIER - eBay (item 280445885604 end time Jan-31-10 22:26:54 PST)

Cost - 2 to 4 k..

NOW

IF YOU ARE USING MP3 ON SYSTEM THERE IS GIGO EFFECT - GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT.
Your better output depends on better source

Don't loose heart ,it is an expensive hobby ,but then life is long :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:Build everything patiently

Again -how to gt better quality music - PM ME...

BTW What is your hometown??

FLAC and Apple Lossless ( Playble on Ipod) are 2 popular lossles formats

How you can get them -pls PM me :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

To untrained years also FLAC sounds good. There is a media player called Foobar - read all about it on net ,install it and start experementing with lossless

Hemant,

Slightly OT - Will Foobar allow me to convert FLAC's to APL? or is there any other converter.

There are many out there starting from the likes of Krell, Wadia etc. to the Onkyo ND-S1 All this will help you get the best out of your ipod.

I know that your budget is with in 5k and might not fit the bill for my earlier suggestions but just in case if you plan to invest more in this hobby, there is a new player in the market - Peachtree Audio iDecco Just add the speakers and you are good to go!

iDeccosm.jpg

Cheers.

2. charge the ipod

there were some ipod docks (apple) on ebay india a while back you can check again. there were six on sale then the listing ended it might be relisted. not new, second hand but looked ok. no remote though. 1k price.

lots of docks with remote just check ebay india and then hunt around in your city or buy it online. the ones with remote generally are around 4-5k and ones without remote are bout 1-2k.

considering you've got a nano and are have probably loaded it with compressed files in order to load more songs, you might want to think about skipping the dock, just sticking to a 3.5mm plug out to rca left right into your amp, putting the money you save into something else you need (usb soundcard) and when you have more money, picking up a dock.

regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back