Help with cable choices

ajayk

I am in the process of setting up a 5.1 (future 7.1) setup at home and since cabling work is underway, I wanted to finalize on the cables to be used. I am not a gamer and mainly have a DVD player (and possibly a CD player) and a cable set-top box connecting to my AVR for now.

After having gone through Venkats AVR connectivity post which is super informative, I have a little understanding of what all are needed. I have a friend coming back from US and has volunteered to get me my cables, so here is the list I am considering.

Acoustic Research AP16100 16 gauge 100ft - Rear and Surround Speakers - Rs.1500
Premium HDMI v1.3 cable - HDMI interconnect between AVR and TV - Rs.500
Premium HDMI v1.3 cable - HDMI interconnect between DVD Player(Pioneer 610) and AVR - Rs.500
Toslink digital audio cable - Music Source(or DVD Player) to AVR - Rs.200
Recoton DVD502 Audio Digital Coaxial Cable (12 Feet) - Music Source(or DVD Player) to AVR - Rs.300 (substitute for optical if I end up having too many bends)
Belkin PureAV AV20500-25 25-Foot Subwoofer Audio Cable - Subwoofer connect to AVR - Rs.650
METRA Ltd S12-50 12 Gauge Clear Speaker Wire - Front speakers to AVR - Rs.750

I currently have a cable set-top box, but I think it has only component out. I may upgrade to a DTH service later and hence I haven't considered this yet.

Would these suffice ? Have I missed interconnects ? These seem to be highly rated VFM products. Should I think of 14 gauge for the rear and surround speakers as my length of room is little less than 25 feet.

If there are similar cost/quality cables available in Bangalore, I can try sourcing them too.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Ajay

Hi Ajay

Read this thread for a potential connection configuration and see if you are missing anything.

http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/2936-your-advice-preparations-home-theater.html

Re: the pricing, they seem alright. No harm in going for cheaper variety if one is available. Usually Best Buy or Circuit City offer cables on sales that you can pick up. Also pick some additoinal ones just in case one is bad or you want to expand down the road.

Your speaker cables are way overkill. 16 gauge should suffice. Otehrwise 14 will work. You will never need 12 AWG!

Couple more things you may want to get while you are at it....

RCA Connectors (get about 10 pairs) you can use these to end the speaker cables and push them into the binding posts.

analogue audio cables (they come in pairs) - get about 10 pairs in case you end up using analogue audio or hook up to external amp.

Wire cutter - this has saved me tons of work when I need to make the ends. They are very handy and look like this Klein Tools Wire Stripper/Cutter - 11047 at The Home Depot

I think Marsilians is referring to Banana plugs or spades ? not RCAs. I have never seen RCAs on speaker wire.

Hi Ajay
we have some good speaker cable from Usher audio 350 strand at Rs 400/m which is on a season special with a 25% discount.
In a couple of weeks, we will be getting some great speaker wire manufactured by Hitachi for TDK (PCOCC with 4 individual bundles of stranded wire each of which is teflon shielded and has a spacer in the center) which we plan to sell for around Rs 800/m, this cable will comparable to cable about 5 to 10 times its price :) Ofcourse we carry Monster cable too, but well...its your money - I will leave it that.
We are in Bangalore too, feel free to check us out

cheers
[email protected]

I am in the process of setting up a 5.1 (future 7.1) setup at home and since cabling work is underway, I wanted to finalize on the cables to be used. I am not a gamer and mainly have a DVD player (and possibly a CD player) and a cable set-top box connecting to my AVR for now.

After having gone through Venkats AVR connectivity post which is super informative, I have a little understanding of what all are needed. I have a friend coming back from US and has volunteered to get me my cables, so here is the list I am considering.

Acoustic Research AP16100 16 gauge 100ft - Rear and Surround Speakers - Rs.1500
Premium HDMI v1.3 cable - HDMI interconnect between AVR and TV - Rs.500
Premium HDMI v1.3 cable - HDMI interconnect between DVD Player(Pioneer 610) and AVR - Rs.500
Toslink digital audio cable - Music Source(or DVD Player) to AVR - Rs.200
Recoton DVD502 Audio Digital Coaxial Cable (12 Feet) - Music Source(or DVD Player) to AVR - Rs.300 (substitute for optical if I end up having too many bends)
Belkin PureAV AV20500-25 25-Foot Subwoofer Audio Cable - Subwoofer connect to AVR - Rs.650
METRA Ltd S12-50 12 Gauge Clear Speaker Wire - Front speakers to AVR - Rs.750

I currently have a cable set-top box, but I think it has only component out. I may upgrade to a DTH service later and hence I haven't considered this yet.

Would these suffice ? Have I missed interconnects ? These seem to be highly rated VFM products. Should I think of 14 gauge for the rear and surround speakers as my length of room is little less than 25 feet.

If there are similar cost/quality cables available in Bangalore, I can try sourcing them too.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Ajay

I think Marsilians is referring to Banana plugs or spades ? not RCAs. I have never seen RCAs on speaker wire.

Thanks for pointing this out Odyssey. Sorry for the slip. I definitely meant banana plugs.

Amazon.com: RiteAV - Banana Plugs: Electronics

If you look below in the page Amazon has a pair of the plugs + 2 m toslink + 2 m HDMI cables all for a whopping USD 5.33

This will give you an idea how our suppliers might be pricing their products.

Also for speaker wire, you just need the 2 strand.

Amazon.com: RiteAV - 16/2 Speaker Wire - 25 Foot Roll: Electronics

you can buy 4 rolls for USD 16 (total!)

This will compare with any high priced cable for the type of connection we have and there will not be any negative impact on sound quality.

Thanks marsilians and sridhar, I think I have my bases covered after your suggestions and going through the other threads.

Sridhar,
I am out of town for a little over a week and hence cannot sync up with you till then. We also have a pending Usher audition to catch up on. :eek:

-Ajay

Dear Mr.Sridhar

Could you please post the web Link for the Usheraudio 350 Strands cables , i could not find this in the net . i am interested in purchasing only 6 mtrs ( this is the length from my speakers to amplifier) , will you supply 6 mtrs or should i order more quantity.

thanks
Tharun Balakrishnan.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back