Help with choosing AVR & Speakers

Congratulations!! enjoy the music......(and the movies)......could you also be nice enough to give us a break-up of the cost?

And on a lighter note.....all this setup to listen to Bob Dylan???? :eek:

hehehe .... yeah!!

as for the price, here it goes...

Onkyo SR606 --> 34.5k
Wharfedale 9.5d --> 26k
'' 9cs --> 9.5k
" 9dfs --> 10k
" pc12 --> 20k
played gta4 & pes08 .... gta4 sounded nice but pes08 sounds truely amazing ... it gives an awesome real stadium effect ..... saw "die hard 4" and it sounded pretty good too .....

Vinoo,
Though I haven't quite figured out how to handle the bass for the movies - any advise will help (Venkat are you still there!!).
BDS

What is the issue here? Can you explain in detail, please?

Cheers

Vinoo,

Check out Link Road at DN Nagar (opposite DN Nagar police station). Andheri West. You will find 3 showrooms there. 'The Shop' is the largest and the prices seem to be the highest as well - they deal with Onkyo / Elac / Mordaunt Short / Pure Ac etc. 100 mts down the road you will find the other 2 shops. One of them stocks MS / Wharfedale etc. The other stocks Mission / Jamo / Polk. These 2 shops are much smaller but offered the most competitive prices.

BTW, I finally got myself Jamo 606 HCS 3 (with Sub 200) at 43.5K - and I am guessing, i got a good deal. At first, i thought the floor standers had a very heavy sound (too much bass). However, after installation, the music sounds excellent with SR 606. Though I haven't quite figured out how to handle the bass for the movies - any advise will help (Venkat are you still there!!).

Hope this helps,

BDS

Thanks BDS.. why the sudden shift to Jamo though? I thought u said it was the least musical of the lot?

Anyways enjoy ur new set up and hope you get help with the installation.

hey guys

somebody told me that i shouldn't play my system loud in the beginning as it would harm the speakers ... is it true?? i'm not playing them at insanely high volumes but i do watch the movies at a volume that gives me the feel of a movie theatre .... should i be worried?

thanks guys, cheers

hey guys

somebody told me that i shouldn't play my system loud in the beginning as it would harm the speakers ... is it true?? i'm not playing them at insanely high volumes but i do watch the movies at a volume that gives me the feel of a movie theatre .... should i be worried?

thanks guys, cheers

Param, I did mention to someone that one must listen at a sane volume. If you are listening at a reasonable volume, there should be no problem to your equipment.

What is a sane volume? As per the 606 manual, you can set the volume from 1 through 79. I would say somewhere between 30 to 45 or so would be OK. What position do you use?

If you listen at very high volumes for a long time, there could be three issues:

1. You will be straining the amp
2. The speakers may begin to distort
3. You will be harming your ears.

Though I can understand your initial excitement with having such lovely equipment, and wanting to impress yourself and others around you, I am more worried about the last. If the ear is treated to sustained high volumes of sound, it will start losing it's sensitivity, and you will have to strain to hear even ordinary human conversation or similar natural sounds. As much as you are using the system, start training your ear to be able to differentiate and appreciate the different sounds that are there in a movie.

In an evening, take off for half an hour, and go and sit on your roof. Close you eyes and focus on your ears. Can you identify, and more important, differentiate, the various sounds you hear? Can you judge the direction and the distance? If you hear a human voice can you identify the person? What about birds, animals, wind, vehicles, the occasional airplane? Can you hear the squeak of a old bicycle chain that is pedalled across the road? Can you hear the whiz of a fly, or the skitter of a small insect?

In our everyday life, we use our eyes more than any of our other senses. We react to a sound stimuli much slower than we do to a vision stimuli. It is the same in a movie. It is not the volume that is important, but the fact that we seeing more than we are listening. If we can improve our ability to use both senses equally well, we will really start to appreciate the way we enjoy a movie.

Another thing to remember is that all sound in a movie is exaggerated already. Take the case of a firecracker. Listen to a rocket in real life and then one in a movie. At 200 to 300 feet in real life, you will hear a small pleasant, and sharp 'phut'. In movies, the same sound is amplified and pumped through your sub woofer at 5 to 10 times it's natural amplitude with a larger boom. Even assuming the camera is panning and your are hence nearer to the firecracker, the sound will never be as much as it is shown in movies.

But then that is the thrill of movies. Everything is amplified to give your 3 hours of thrill.

Enjoy.

Cheers

Vinoo,

That's correct. I did find the Jamo least musical. But here is the catch - i heard the Wharfes and MS at one location and the jamo and Polk at another and with different AVRs.

And then i heard the Wharfe and Jamo together at one location - and found the former a little muffled. Could be the AVR - could be 'the' untrained ear - could be a bit of both. So, here I am.

Cheers, BDS.

...somebody told me that i shouldn't play my system loud in the beginning as it would harm the speakers ... is it true?? i'm not playing them at insanely high volumes but i do watch the movies at a volume that gives me the feel of a movie theatre .... should i be worried?

I don??t think you should be worried. The companies roll out every component after rigorous testing and taking into account of the occasional extremes that users might slip in to once in a while.

In the case of speakers, good companies always mention the range it will operate comfortably. Even though an amp could be capable enough to give out exuberant amount of power (read Krell, Bryston etc?), you don??t necessarily ever use it! ?? Unless one uses it as a PAS. The higher power will give you more scale, authority and confidence to the music played, that??s all. The thump rule is never drive speakers with an underpowered amp.

Plus, hey yours is new and comes under warranty ?? so why bother! Like Venkat mentioned, enjoy your movies and the thrill it brings to your living room/HT ?? I mean isn??t this why you invested in the first place?!

Caveat: I dont believe in break-in, cables, mains conditioners etc.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Vinoo,

That's correct. I did find the Jamo least musical. But here is the catch - i heard the Wharfes and MS at one location and the jamo and Polk at another and with different AVRs.

And then i heard the Wharfe and Jamo together at one location - and found the former a little muffled. Could be the AVR - could be 'the' untrained ear - could be a bit of both. So, here I am.

Cheers, BDS.

Thanks for the info BDS will check it out too...though in the end its not just a matter of untrained ears ( I fall under the same category too) but also a matter of one's choice as to what is better sounding...

Take care bro..

I am in a similar dilemma as Param and your advice about patience is something i am exercising now as i don??t have a budget like him. I had a budget of 20K and now it has stretched to 30K (15k for AVR and 15K for speakers) because what I want will not come for anything less. Due to the setting of my home I don??t think I can have tower speakers which I originally wanted to buy. The satellite speakers that I have heard, Warfdale, Space, jamo and so on (sub 15k) I feel are not value for money. Now I am evaluating the option of going for bookshelf speakers (sonodyne, norge or Warfdale) which come for around 10k.
1. Which one would you recommend and
2. will it make sense if I buy a stereo amp or should I buy a 5.1ch amp?

1. Which one would you recommend and

There are a number of companies that make good bookshelves. And there a number of threads that discuss most of these bookshelves in detail.

2. Will it make sense if I buy a stereo amp or should I buy a 5.1ch amp?

This depends upon what you are more interested in. If you are into pure music in CD based stereo, if you are very particular about the quality of music, then stick to a stereo set up.

If you are interested in movies, MP3 music, multi channel music etc., then you should look at a 5.1 system.

Cheers

I went out this Sunday to DN road Andheri and i think i like the stereo receiver over the HTR's as i don't like to, get to and want to watch movies at home. I am confused between Marantz 4001(18.5K) and 7001(25K) although the price difference is favoring the 4001 but something inside me tells me to go for 7001.
If I have 100W RMS speakers and my room size is 18'*9'
1. Can I play the music louder with 4001 or 7001 without damaging either of the equipment?
2. Which is better speaker Avant 902 or Warfdale 9.1
3. Who stocks Warfdale 9.1 in Mumbai because I could not experience them yesterday?
4. Where can I get it the cheapest?

Regarding the Wharfedale and avant . . you can audition them side by side. . . I have auditioned them at alliance4 anderi(check at designer audio website for address and details). . .i prefered the ms over the wharfedale(for 2 speaker setup). . .

Pm 'ed you on whatever price i got on ca340a and the ms(combo). One of the posts here talk of ms 902i available for 10.3k(dunno whether that price still holds true). I got a quote of 10.3 at grand cinema chennai this month. So try for that. The ca amp goes well with the ms. If you listen at higher volumes a min might be ca 540a(am no geek, so the geeks here can help better and confirm this :p) . That plus speaker should be 28k. Other members should be able to advice on that vs the marantz.
to make things easier, there are three shops mentioned on the dealer site for ms in mumbai. 'The shop' at anderi took too much time to confirm the availability. And had to make many a calls(every two days) to get the confirmation on that. made a couple of calls on the gettin the final price before giving up. I had the patience to wait, but was worried on havin a relationship with such dealer. The alliance4 experience was good. Rishi there is a very reasonable person. I will be gettin the system this week. Try using my reference, in case it helps.(though, he may only know my name at the most). The third shop mentioned didnt have their number at the dealer site. Some other members can help here.
Sreejith

1. Can I play the music louder with 4001 or 7001 without damaging either of the equipment?

Unless you want to go deaf, you should not play the music at more than 11 'o' clock of the amplifier. This would be roughly 30 to 35 watts. I am sure both the 4001 and the 7001 can deliver that much power/.

2. Which is better speaker Avant 902 or Warfdale 9.1

The answer to this question can only be given by your own ears. Both are from good companies and both are award winners.

3. Who stocks Warfdale 9.1 in Mumbai because I could not experience them yesterday?

You can listen to Wharfedales at any of the following dealers.

DESIGNER AUDIO INDIA PVT. LTD. (Distributor)
'Arun Chambers', Ground Floor, No. 9,
Near AC Market, Tardeo, Mumbai - 400034.
Tel: 23520320, 23512836, 9820096760

ALLIANCE 4 (for Wharfedale, Quad, Vanguard, DAC)
Shree Cooperative Society, Opp. YMCA,
Near D.N. Nagar Police Station, Andheri (W), Mumbai.
Tel: 32934617, 9820162562

BOOMARANG (for Wharfedale, Quad, Vanguard, DAC)
11/12/13, Vasant Marvel, Western Express Highway,
Borivali (E), Mumbai-400066.
Tel: 28548910, 9820082910

BOOMARANG (for Wharfedale, Quad, Vanguard, DAC)
Janki Das House, Near Prithvi Theatre, Juhu, Mumbai-49.
Tel: 26194452, 9820194171

4. Where can I get it the cheapest?

Well you must talk to all the dealers, bargain and get the best price possible.

Cheers

Boomerang (any store) dont stock Warfdale 9.1. they say it is not that selling (if you dont stock it and dont demo it how the hell will ppl know they exist :0). I need to go to Alliance 4 i think they stock them. I auditioned Pace today and i think they are prytti good. apperently they were the OEM's for NORGE and Cosmic.:confused::confused:....is that true???

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back