Help with choosing lcd/plasma & HT

porwalashish

Hi,
I am based out of Jaipur and planning to set up a basic ht for my bedroom. This is not gonna be my primary ht so i am limiting the budget to around 1.5-1.6 for the tv & ht

I have gone through the forum but did not find a thread which could help me completely.

I will be auditioning and buying the stuff from delhi.So far i have just auditioned JBL setups. After going through the forums i have realised that they are not appreciated much by the experts :eek:.

Basic facts:

- Room Size : 16x12 (The TV is going be placed at the end of the 16ft)

- 60% Movies / 40% Music

- Music: Lounge/commercial/classic rock

- Room is not accoustically treated.

- AV inputs - Ipod dock, BlueRay, WDTV & PS3

Help Required

Television

I had pretty much decided to bring a Panasonic 50inch plasma from thailand. But then i read reviews saying that Panasonic Plasma's have been facing the problems of brighter blacks with ageing as a result poorer picture quality.

So should i go for a LCD instead? and is it cheaper to buy they from thailand anymore?? ( I heard the price diffrence between india/thailand is not much now)

I was looking for a screen size arnd 46-50 inchs

HT

In the budget of around 75k. What is the best system i can make. I would need help with choosing the speaker system and avr. Provided it should be available in delhi.

Also will it be any cheaper if i buy the avr from thailand?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Ashish

Well lcds especially the ones from sony are cheap in thailand since thats were they are assembled .
Assuming your viewing distance to be around 14 feet to 16 feet i would suggest a lcd of around 52" or even 60".

thanks adder... I shall look into the sony lcd's. I knw a bigger lcd wud be nice but then that wud shoot my budget way overboard. I believe plasma's happen to be cheaper in the larger size thats why i was looking for one and plus i can pretty much make the room pitch dark. So i thought plasma wud provide me with better color and truer picture

Last edited:
thanks adder... I shall look into the sony lcd's. I knw a bigger lcd wud be nice but then that wud shoot my budget way overboard. I believe plasma's happen to be cheaper in the larger size thats why i was looking for one and plus i can pretty much make the room pitch dark. So i thought plasma wud provide me with better color and truer picture

plasma is cheaper in big sizes,if you can control lighting you will get a much better picture than any lcd or led. Panasonic 50v20 you can get for around 1.1lakhs, this is with infinite black panel,this is probably the best tv money can buy now in india, please search and refer to other thread on this

. Now since you mentioned 1.5 lakhs budget you could buy an entry level htib like onkyo3300 for less than 25k and a sony/panasonic BD player (9.7k for sony. iam not sure about pansonic) along with this tv
Even with the rising blacks this should have the best black level compared to others.This tv might have some issue out of the box but as one owner mentioned he was able to correct it by calibration

If you can wait panasonic might launch their newest panel infinite black pro and you can buy that

Or you can buy a 50" lg pk550 or 50"c550 samsung(both have some issues, please refer owners thread for details) and have a high end hometheater sytem with seperate AVR and very good speakers for the rest of money. lg is less than 60k and samsung less than 70k

My setup is a sammy 50c550, onkyo 3300 and sony Bdp-370 , i am happy with all three so far

Well in the price vs size ratio plasma has the edge atleast in india.
Plasma having better colors and true picture isn't true,perhaps when one compares a lg made plasma with a lg lcd or a panasonic plasma vs panasonic lcd.
You need to compare with other lcds like the ones from samsung/sony

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back