Hi All!, I want to buy a DVD player

007india

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I'm looking out to buy a new DVD player and speaker system. Initially i browsed for home theater packages from SONY and Philips. HTS packages are much expensive and they lack some basic features what I expect.

I need USB, flexible input/output ports, HDMI connectivity for my DVD player.

From the internet, i have zeroed in Philips DVP 5996k DVD player which has got everything i want. I plan to connect this player to my creative PC speaker(SBS270) through RCI > Stereo connector.

Now I would like to know

1) Is DVp5996 a good choice, I expect some quality than features. it should last long.

2) can i connect the DVD player with creative 2.1 speakers, won't it affect the player, speaker or TV. the TV i useis SONY LCD with HDMI. some one told that spurious voltage from one source can destroy other sources. thats why i didn't connect my TV with creative speaker.

I would appreciate if some one can help me on this.
Ah! what is the price of the DVD player, im in tamilnadu

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum...as per your requirement I would say to ensure best playback quality both in audio and video at a budget level you can look at the Pioneer DV 610 DVD player. Quite a nice machine....The picture quality is just awesome and also has a USB 2.0 port. You can readily connect your speakers to your TV as the TV would also provide certain signal amplification as the output signal voltage level of a DVD player is quite low and you definitely will require an external amp to drive the speakers to their full capability. Let the TV do this.
Also as far as voltage fluctuations are concerned, these days all the circuits have internal protection circuitry...though large fluctuations in power would be best handled using an powerstrip with trip (circuit breaker or surge protector etc) functionality. Take a look at some budget powerstrips from MX or you can go for slightly more expensive from Belkin.

Regards,
Ashish

Hi,

Thank you very much for the reply. I checked about DV 610, its costing almost double to Philips DV5996 player which costs 3600/- Also features are same b/w both.

what is u r opinion abt Philips DV 5996? In future i plan to go for SONY DZ 370k model

Hi,

Thank you very much for the reply. I checked about DV 610, its costing almost double to Philips DV5996 player which costs 3600/- Also features are same b/w both.

what is u r opinion abt Philips DV 5996? In future i plan to go for SONY DZ 370k model

Philips 5996K is a good choice...I was recommending Pioneer as it is a value for money product and also very very reliable in terms of functionality/life and also in terms of quality. Since you are also planning to go for Sony HTiB in near future then I would say do not invest on a DVD player as the Sony HTiB has the disc playback..

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The DVD player that comes with sony doesn't play everything as the philips does. not all the features are there in SONY player.

when it comes to connecting speakers directly to TV. The SONy technician reported that lot of cases have floated where even a 12v goes inside to SONY which operates at 5v and damages the set. he said that the audio output of the DVD can be connected to the Creative SBS270 as this has its own built in amplifier.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The DVD player that comes with sony doesn't play everything as the philips does. not all the features are there in SONY player.

when it comes to connecting speakers directly to TV. The SONy technician reported that lot of cases have floated where even a 12v goes inside to SONY which operates at 5v and damages the set. he said that the audio output of the DVD can be connected to the Creative SBS270 as this has its own built in amplifier.

Take a look.
http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-players-dvd-hard-disk-recorders/1692-best-dvd-player-iwth-usb.html

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back