Hi Everyone

ensee

Good Day everyone

This is my first post, though a month old as member! :) I am a die hard fan of sound systems (especially 5.1)...but what I have is an entry level home theatre setup. Below is my HT setup.

1. Philips DVD 736K
2. Onkyo TX SR-303
3. Jamo HCS PPL 4600
4. Panasonic PTLB10 (Multimedia Projector)

Somewhat satisfied with the existing setup. Looking for an upgrade (HD) soon. Still didn't include a sub, planning for Wharfedale SW150.

I have few questions.

1. Is it important to connect the speakers as per the polarity?
2. Is it ok to place the floorstanders above the floor level (on a wooden/glass wall mount)?
3. A normal speaker cables from electrical shop would do justice for HT setup (atleast for my setup)?

There are lot many doubts I have about the pairing, placement, acoustics, connections and cables. I will get them clarified one by one. I see lot of experts here ;)

Hi,
Welcome to the forum and have a great time here !!

As with your questions,here's the answers.

1. Is it important to connect the speakers as per the polarity?
Ans: most deffently,otherwise you'll not get a proper centered image ( sound from the fronts) and also it'll be muddy,resolution less,etc etc.

2. Is it ok to place the floorstanders above the floor level (on a wooden/glass wall mount)?
Well technically A BIG NO NO,but you can do it practically to a certain degree, if you have no option but to do it (for whatever reasons) but just make sure that the tweeters are not too high from the ears in the seating position ( or have it as low as practically possible)

3. A normal speaker cables from electrical shop would do justice for HT setup (atleast for my setup)?

Again noway buddy ! you should atleast use 20 or 18 gauge wire's of some decent quality to do proper justice to your HTS.

Some more questions ?? just fire buddy !!

Regards.

Good advices from Soundsgreat. To add some more to one of your questions:

"2. Is it ok to place the floorstanders above the floor level (on a wooden/glass wall mount)?"

The rule of thumb is the tweeters should be at the ear-level. But that said, if you elevate a floorstander, and don't do it properly, you may lose on the bass quality.

Hey ensee

Nice to have you on the forum...

Buddy, i agree with soundsgreat...
you need to have the correct speaker cables...

But, dont invest too much on those...
Just dont invest more than Rs.100 per mtr, for a 16 gauze cable...
I think if you can afford Rs.80 to Rs.90 per mtr for cables you should go for 16 gauze only...
What say GURUS...???

And Yes as everyone said, its really necessary for tweeters to be at your ear level, for you to experience the best sound quality...

Do shoot out your questions...
These GURUS are too good to help...

In that process even i will get to learn some good audio stuff...

Thanking You

Mridul Goel

Hi,

No Boss Iam no Guru !! just a normal student of Audio trying to learn a thing or two :D !!

By asking whether its ok to buy speaker wires from electrical shop, I thought he's on shoe string budget,Hence advised him to go for 20 or 18 Gauge wire's !! But if he can afford then nothing like it ! 16 gauge is the minimum, I consider that as default ,budget budget...

Hey buddy have you seen my DIY stuff ? Am asking coz you've commented on all recently but mine :( ,So just curious thats all !!

Regards.

you need to have the correct speaker cables...

But, dont invest too much on those...
Just dont invest more than Rs.100 per mtr, for a 16 gauze cable...
I think if you can afford Rs.80 to Rs.90 per mtr for cables you should go for 16 gauze only...

Agree with that. At that level cable costing 100-150 Rs a meter is more than sufficient.

Hi,

No Boss Iam no Guru !! just a normal student of Audio trying to learn a thing or two :D !!

By asking whether its ok to buy speaker wires from electrical shop, I thought he's on shoe string budget,Hence advised him to go for 20 or 18 Gauge wire's !! But if he can afford then nothing like it ! 16 gauge is the minimum, I consider that as default ,budget budget...

Hey buddy have you seen my DIY stuff ? Am asking coz you've commented on all recently but mine :( ,So just curious thats all !!

Regards.

Bro you are one of the Guru, and i am learning from you all atleast for Audio, video i think i have learnt 1% of technology...so can comment a bit, but as per Audio is concerned i am just 0.01% so atleast gtta be 1% of technology...

And hearty appologies for not commenting on your DIY threads...will do it right away...

Regards

Mridul Goel

Hi,

Hey hey no Apologies required !! I was just curious as why you have not thats it,thought you may have overlooked it and decided to remind !!

By the way please consider my open invitation Sir !!

Regards.

Thanks for the overwhelming response friends..! I feel myself as a kid among this crowd :) ..and I am.!

Gained (and gaining) some knowledge about the amplifiers and speakers, but I realised now I know nothing about the cables and connectors. My room was recently constructed and I have laid all speaker cables (inside PVC which is conceiled in the wall). Overall some 60 mtrs I used and it was not even 300 bucks. I actually placed my amp, equalizer and the dvd player in the bookshelf. The power lines and all speaker wires are terminated besides the amp (right wall of the bookshelf). The connectors I am using is from a company called MX. I have gone through the DIY projects from 'soundsgreat', but they sound too technical to me :confused: Infact after seeing his projects I got a big doubt about my cable quality. I didn't give much importance to the cables. :rolleyes:

If I want to re-lay the cables I wonder all the 6 channels will fit in my 1 inch conceiled pvc pipe. However suggest me the best and the least best.

I am from Chennai..Pls let me know is there any specific shop for cables and connectors here. I have seen MX has a big shop in Ritche street.

About mounting the Floorstanders.. can I use wood/plywood to mount them? Elevating them would reduce the bass? As they are very close to the walls, should I curtain the behind/beside walls. What is the formula to find the 1st reflection point? Curtaining the 1st point is enough? In front of the towers I have cot at 2 meters and a window with curtains behind the cot. Standing waves are possible with this setup? If possible I will send the snaps of my setup soon for better understanding.

Sorry for too many questions..but there are lot to be asked (and to be learned) ;) Thanks again.

Hi,
The MX that you mention is one of the best indian brands available !! no doubt about their quality (unless you are comparing them with certain MNC brands).SO Nothing to worry !!

If you use a 16 Gauge speaker cable that should easily fit inside the 1" conduit,Again not an issue.As with best try QED,Supra,Profigold,Straightwire etc,I wouldn't know what you mean by least best but the other economy option is Bandridge,DAC,MX etc amongst them Bandrigde is best bang for buck !!

Which shops, well try in spencer plaza,and in T.nagar try Audio/Video people (Straightwire and others).

Rest spend a whole weekend in Ritchie street you'll get all the stuff !!

Any solid wood be ideal choice avoid plywood for obvious reasons !!

Now please post the snap as you said for Us to dig into the details and recommend you anything !! We've already told,Yes 100% their will a loss in low frequency or it can become very boomy,As with curtains and other quires the snap of it is must to comment.

Please post as soon as possible !!

Now coming to thread,Which part of it did you feel is too technical ?? you should've posted comments or asked some questions regarding that, I've would've happily answered them !:D

Anyways hope this helps.

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi Soundsgreat

Thanks for the response. It was a clear reply. I will get the cables from Audiopeople. Will also try to post the snaps as soon as possible.

About your DIY, I could not understand the terms.. (inductance, conductance) and the values. I am not that technical :(

Hi,

Fine just check with them and you should be able to get decent deal ( talk to the owner Jalal or Shaul as they the best persons to deal). Alternativly check the Bandridge as I've already said its best value for money and much lesser then straightwire.

Those are words associated with cables and copper wire in general.will some time explain if want to know !! you don't have to be technical buddy you just should have the need and will to learn thats all !!

Regards.

Hi Ensee,

Since you are in Chennai,please check out Decibel too.Their prices are more reasonable than Audiopeople.
Raghu the owner knows his stuff and can point you in the right direction.Decible deals with Bandridge.

Products | decibel - the art of sound

Regards
Rajiv

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back