Hi Fi budget and age - what is the correlation?

What is your age and what is your budget?

• I am less than 20 and I have 10k budget

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I am less than 20, but I have 2+ lakh budget

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am 30-35 and have a budget of 1 lakh

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I am 30-35 and have a budget of 5+ lakh

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I am 35-45 and have a budget of 1 lakh

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I am 35-45 and have a budget of 5+ lakhs

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I am 45-60 and have a budget of 1 lakh

• I am 45-60 have a budget of 5+ lakh

• I am 20-30 have a budget of 1+ lakh

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I am 20-30 have a budget of 5+ lakh

• Total voters
talking about wife, a person who deals in the used called at 7:30 in the morning, phone was close to my wife and I was out checking hifivision. He woke her up and now you can imagine how great a weekend I am having!

talking about wife, a person who deals in the used called at 7:30 in the morning, phone was close to my wife and I was out checking hifivision. He woke her up and now you can imagine how great a weekend I am having!

Ask this dealer to give you a good used valve amp for free to alleviate the mental agony you're suffering because of his indiscretion. Also ask him to include a box of chocolates to alleviate the wife :eek:hyeah:

Hi guys,
Am 39 now and i dont really know the amount i have spent on HIFI in the last two decades. Current set up costs a fair bit:eek::eek:

I inherited a lovely set up as a teen when my parents moved on and have just gone on and on. I dont regret any purchase or the costs. Music has been more than a companion for me all through various ups & downs.

In my 20s i had average gear (nothing much was available here) and today i have more than average gear but i have always enjoyed the music irrespective of the gear. Reason for this is a superb varied collection of MUSIC. I know lots of guys who barely have any music to enjoy on their hard earned HIFI.
Just yesterday (holiday) i blasted 6 QUEEN albums from early in the morning to about noon and THAT feeling of enjoyment makes me forget the costs i have incurred.
Rgds

I am 30 (also 0.5) years old...and my wallet is always with my wife. My current conf is Denon AVR 2308, Pio DV 600 (upgrade from Pio 676 bought from SGP), HTiB Speakers (upgrading to WF soon..my wife still not ready to give me money for this), Samsung 29" CRT (1080i,100Hz)
Total Spent: Around 90K.

For Wharfe: I need at least 35 K, and unfortunately I have no money with me!!

I am not alone afterall. I have company in "Wallet with Wife" Club!!!!!!;)

hehe my wife is very co-operative. she encouraged me to take the budget leap of going for a 42" plasma instead of a 32" LCD, and i conned her into getting me the Audioengine 2s as our anniversary gift :) (and i also conned her into getting me a PS2 for my birthday)....and that's about all my equipment rack constists of (oh yeah, a Sony NS708 DVD player)

Maan, U run ne coaching for conning the cunning?!?!?!
I will join immediately:lol:

I am not alone afterall. I have company in "Wallet with Wife" Club!!!!!!;)

Man, that club is bloody over-crowded:lol:

I am 36. Had a junk kenwood micro-component system in my 20s. later got the current system. Recently did some upgrades too, so no more money except for a sub, for which I have already convinced my wife, now I just need to con her into raising the budget to get a good one.
On birthday, when I asked for speakers for birthday, she said, u dont even remember my birthday u moron, and u want me to give u speakers!!! I think if she'd told me just tell me my date of birth and u've got the speakers, i might have lost that too:lol:

anyway here's my system:
yamaha rx-v 663
B&W 602 S2
B&W 600 S3 LCR
B&W rock solid rears.
marantz cd 6000 OSE cd player.
chapathi samsung cd player
denon drw 585 tape deck.
htpc with m-audio revolution card
ipod with philips 630/637 dock with cdp and usb.
panasonic pv8d

Last edited:
I asked my wife if she will gift me a lyrita system costing 90k on my b'day (coming very soon). She said yes - but after that she should not see any AV site open on my laptop, or talking to people on phone and discussing amp, speaker anything. I have to completely free my mind space from AV gadgets.
Tough deal, I have not yet committed, and probably I will not. Journey is more fun than the destination.

I asked my wife if she will gift me a lyrita system costing 90k on my b'day (coming very soon). She said yes - but after that she should not see any AV site open on my laptop, or talking to people on phone and discussing amp, speaker anything. I have to completely free my mind space from AV gadgets.
Tough deal, I have not yet committed, and probably I will not. Journey is more fun than the destination.

Wow.. thats a tough one... I guess u can take her up on the offer and after getting the speakers, cheat....:D

This is fun :)

I am 34 and i spent a lot of money on buying the helmet (figuratively) that i hardly have any money left for my bike :)
I have 2 blu ray players, a pioneer dv600 dvd player- a dell xps420 HTPC - and a full HD projector - and a 42 plasma -and i have got my house cabled in anticipation of a good system..Somewhere down the line, i missed the bus and overspent on my wood work in my new apartment (not necessarily more work, but more money per unit work and rework than was originally budgeted). I saved around 2 lakhs over a period of 5 years penny by penny and it was exclusively for my audio setup. made a lot of sacrifices including skipping weekend dinners in the hotels and unplanned pizza times and movies in the theatre and using public transport wherever i could avoid my car etc etc.

I guarded this 2 lakh fund very fiercely and did not use it for anything. Unfortunately, over the last month, i ended up in a situation where i had to withdraw this money and pay for the interiors and to cater to the whimsical random charges imposed by my apartment builder (i thought i had read the fine print, but no- i was wrong)

I am not defeated, only momentorily disheartened. My HT wil have to wait for a coupla more months- but it will be there :)

damn! What fine prints man? Was it a builder or a furnishing/ furniture guy?
Lot of people getting cheated by such guys these days.

My b-i-l started renovated his flat with a planned budget and ended up spending twice of that. Now he is feeling too bad after spending all his savings. And he is a civil engineer by profession. Contractors would run away with money, labor costs would climb in the middle of the project. All sorts of issues crop up. It is just too much effort and mindspace to get this renovation done.

A good trusted contractor can do it all by himself. I know one such very good person in Delhi, but he is slightly expensive for my budget - though he is good VFM if your budget permits. I will get my house redone by him when I move back there, and if I have money.

regards

whimsical random charges imposed by my apartment builder (i thought i had read the fine print, but no- i was wrong)

This is fun :)

I am 34 and i spent a lot of money on buying the helmet (figuratively) that i hardly have any money left for my bike :)
I have 2 blu ray players, a pioneer dv600 dvd player- a dell xps420 HTPC - and a full HD projector - and a 42 plasma -and i have got my house cabled in anticipation of a good system..Somewhere down the line, i missed the bus and overspent on my wood work in my new apartment (not necessarily more work, but more money per unit work and rework than was originally budgeted). I saved around 2 lakhs over a period of 5 years penny by penny and it was exclusively for my audio setup. made a lot of sacrifices including skipping weekend dinners in the hotels and unplanned pizza times and movies in the theatre and using public transport wherever i could avoid my car etc etc.

I guarded this 2 lakh fund very fiercely and did not use it for anything. Unfortunately, over the last month, i ended up in a situation where i had to withdraw this money and pay for the interiors and to cater to the whimsical random charges imposed by my apartment builder (i thought i had read the fine print, but no- i was wrong)

I am not defeated, only momentorily disheartened. My HT wil have to wait for a coupla more months- but it will be there :)

Man, I know how u feel, spending the hard earned money on some shitty useless things. I treat our builders like our netas, guilty until proven innocent.
Maybe u can get rid of a blu ray player and either tv/pj and raise some more funds... just a suggestion, u have tons of video gear. A dvd player is quite useless when u have a blu ray player, and to top it, a blu ray player is quite useless when u have another one:lol:

Hi guys,
Am 39 now and i dont really know the amount i have spent on HIFI in the last two decades. Current set up costs a fair bit:eek::eek:

I inherited a lovely set up as a teen when my parents moved on and have just gone on and on. I dont regret any purchase or the costs. Music has been more than a companion for me all through various ups & downs.

In my 20s i had average gear (nothing much was available here) and today i have more than average gear but i have always enjoyed the music irrespective of the gear. Reason for this is a superb varied collection of MUSIC. I know lots of guys who barely have any music to enjoy on their hard earned HIFI.
Just yesterday (holiday) i blasted 6 QUEEN albums from early in the morning to about noon and THAT feeling of enjoyment makes me forget the costs i have incurred.
Rgds

Nice dinyaar.

Man, I know how u feel, spending the hard earned money on some shitty useless things. I treat our builders like our netas, guilty until proven innocent.
Maybe u can get rid of a blu ray player and either tv/pj and raise some more funds... just a suggestion, u have tons of video gear. A dvd player is quite useless when u have a blu ray player, and to top it, a blu ray player is quite useless when u have another one:lol:

Very true..and it was kind of a stupid on the spot decision. I got this PS3 (and it is still in its wraps) and then got to know (i know it was stupid) that it does not pass bitstream.. In my original scheme of things i wanted to have a powerful receiver (like the onkyo 875/876) which could make a difference to that the HD decoding in bitstream. Hence I purchased another BDP which could do all that. I hoped to sell my PS3 and reclaim some money which i could use elsewhere in my setup. Either due to my lack of time or due to my not-so-good advertising i could not sell the PS3. It is still unused :-(
And over time i collected a lot of dvds of different regions and hence i needed a player which could do all DVD regions (both the PS3 and the other BDP do only region 2 DVD). Hence i was forced to buy a multi region DVDP (Pio 600).
When $hit happens, my set up is what it looks like :)

Very true..and it was kind of a stupid on the spot decision. I got this PS3 (and it is still in its wraps) and then got to know (i know it was stupid) that it does not pass bitstream.. In my original scheme of things i wanted to have a powerful receiver (like the onkyo 875/876) which could make a difference to that the HD decoding in bitstream. Hence I purchased another BDP which could do all that. I hoped to sell my PS3 and reclaim some money which i could use elsewhere in my setup. Either due to my lack of time or due to my not-so-good advertising i could not sell the PS3. It is still unused :-(
And over time i collected a lot of dvds of different regions and hence i needed a player which could do all DVD regions (both the PS3 and the other BDP do only region 2 DVD). Hence i was forced to buy a multi region DVDP (Pio 600).

its not like a marriage - once you are in - you are in for life:eek:hyeah:- with hi-fi stuff its important to take it easy.

I know how you feel - i was about to buy the ps3 but sense prevailed. So take time when you buy hi-fi stuff - invest more on certain pieces of the chain that last a long time - say speaker systems and build around.

Anyway its good that you understand the VFM - sadly many these days don't. BTW I am sure you can sell your ps3 out there in Bangalore - a lot of takers provided the price is right. But understand these articles loose value quicky - so if you do not plan to use it - get it away with quickly.

put it up on ebay. it's free, it's simple and there's a good chance you'll get a buyer. all the best. how much are you looking to sell it for anyways?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back