Hi Fi Stereo Setup

rajivaryan1984

Hi, I have a lot of Music Cd's and FLAC files/ MP3 Files on Hard Disk. Should I go with Option 1 or Option 2

Option 1 - Marantz PM7005 INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER WITH USB-DAC + Marantz CD6006 CD Player + Wharfedale Jade SR Rear Surround speakers
Option 2 - Cambridge CXN V2 +Marantz CD6006 CD Player + Wharfedale Jade SR Rear Surround speakers

Please share your inputs and suggestions

In my opinion, ditch the CD player and spend that money on a good DAC and buy a power amplifier instead of integrated.

Of course, you will have to convert all your cds to FLAC.

Not sure how good is wharfedale rear surround for music. Are we missing something here?
Would suggest option 1 with proper bs or FS.

Hi, I have a lot of Music Cd's and FLAC files/ MP3 Files on Hard Disk. Should I go with Option 1 or Option 2

Option 1 - Marantz PM7005 INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER WITH USB-DAC + Marantz CD6006 CD Player + Wharfedale Jade SR Rear Surround speakers
Option 2 - Cambridge CXN V2 +Marantz CD6006 CD Player + Wharfedale Jade SR Rear Surround speakers

Option 1 with good DAC+ good bookshelf or Floor standers depending on your budget

Have you considered a CD transport instead of CD player? The CXN V2 has a capable DAC. The Cambridge CXC is a dedicated transport at slightly higher price than the Marantz player you are considering and it matches well (even aesthetically) with the CXN. Also note that the CXN can be used as a digital preamp and you can hook it directly to a good power amp. So, do consider:
CXC + CXN v2 + Good power amp (50-80 wpc) + Passive speakers of your choice.

I too, like you, have a large CD collection (all originals). Recently I bought the CXN V2. While I use it copiously for exploring newer music (through streaming services) and for internet radio, I still enjoy listening to my CDs on the CXC. I can confirm that CD sounds slightly better (more organic/richer) than even the FLAC version on Tidal (don’t ask me to explain why, I don’t know!). Also, nothing substitutes the joy of handling the physical medium!

I shall continue to buy more CDs, but now only when I find myself streaming a particular album again and again. For one off listening streaming apps are good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend a BluOS based platform if you have tons of Flac/mp3 files. The operating system and overall interface is stunning and makes listening/browsing through music a pleasure.

You could look at a Bluesound Node 2i or a Vault for the CD.

The problem with CXN is it only reads Audio CD. Can I used Pioneer BDP180 or CD6006 with the CXN A80 and CXN V2. Please advise..

Have you settled on an amplifier and speaker combination? It seems you are unsure what you wish to go with. The Wharfedales mentioned are meant to act as surround/rear speakers in a home theater setup, do not consider those for your stereo setup.

The CXN is a network player + DAC, it will read and play files stored from a NAS or when the hard drive is connected to it directly. If you have to play CDs then you will need either a CD player or a CD transport. CD player and a transport are two different things, the transport will only give you digital out which needs to be fed to a DAC, in this case the digital out of your CD player can go to one of the digital inputs on the CXN. Or take the analogue out of your CD player (say the Marantz CD 6006) to one of the inputs on your amplifier.

At the very least you are looking at: Amplifier + Speaker + CD player.
Get a DAC in the chain if you wish, now pick your components. Do your research and listen to as many speakers you can within your budget.

See if this option will make sense/help.
Buy s used DLNA renderer, such a Squeezebox Touch and cast directly from your PC/laptop using Jamcast (streaming software).

I would pick option 1. However not a marantz and wharfedale pairing. Could sound dull overall. And a separate dac.

MaSh

I already have PM7005 + CD6006 + Z7 and somewhere feel that this combination might not be a ideal set up for my music listening. I am finally thinking to go ahead with CX A80 + CXN V2 + PM6006 or any CD Player (If works please advise) + Z7 + SVS SB1000 purely for music.

Please advise if this would be the right setup or I am wasting money by going with CX A80 + CXN V2 both together or I need to have either one.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back