Hi Guys

sktaliyan

Jai Hind Everyone!!

Hi Everyone,
I am Tally (Sanjeev Taliyan). I am new to this forum. went thru lot of threads and posts. Its amazing to see that most of the guys are doing a yeoman service by enlightening the novices like us. Hats off to all the guys who are sparing their valuable time in this age of hectic schedules and deadlines to help out complete strangers and increasing everybody's knowledge on these difficult issues which majority of us are not very clear.

Good show guys and keep up the gr8 work!!

:thumbsup::clapping:

Last edited:
Hi,

Actually I am in the air force and till now I had been using a AIWA compact audio player NSX-999 KM2(2200PMPO) which i had bought as a bachelor 12 yrs back. But now I would like to graduate onto a better system preferably an AV receiver or an amp with good speakers. My budget is around 30-35k.

(a) is amp better or an av receiver?
(b) if av receiver then of which company and compatible speaker for the same?
(c) I know that it would depend on what i am looking for in the system and sky is the limit in terms of price. But within the given budget that i have set for myself if somebody could help me get the 'best bang for the buck'.

I am going to delhi in may and can pick up atleast reciever from there or if any good dealer is available in ahmedabad then i could buy it in Ahmedabad.

I would be grateful if somebody can help me choose a good combo.

Last edited:
Hi,

Actually I am in the air force and till now I had been using a AIWA compact audio player NSX-999 KM2(2200PMPO) which i had bought as a bachelor 12 yrs back. But now I would like to graduate onto a better system preferably an AV receiver or an amp with good speakers. My budget is around 30-35k.

(a) is amp better or an av receiver?
(b) if av receiver then of which company and compatible speaker for the same?
(c) I know that it would depend on what i am looking for in the system and sky is the limit in terms of price. But within the given budget that i have set for myself if somebody could help me get the 'best bang for the buck'.

I am going to delhi in may and can pick up atleast reciever from there or if any good dealer is available in ahmedabad then i could buy it in Ahmedabad.

I would be grateful if somebody can help me choose a good combo.

Okay what is your usage i.e. movies vs music (%)

For a HT experience i woudl suggest an Onkyo 5105 - for around 35-40k bang for the buck. An alternate would be a Yamaha RXV463/HTR6140 for 20k and spend the rest on a decent 5.1 package.

Now if your usage is mainly for stereo (for audiophiles 2 way >>>> surround though for newbies surround sound seems better) then go for a stereo amp with a good cd player. And get better speakers - mission 33 for 13k is a speaker whose price vs performance is hard to beat. You can get some ideas regarding stereo amps and players from other people on this forum.

And its per usage what you require - a receiver (can be loosely termed as an amp) is versatile can accommodate a whole lot of inputs and play 5.1 surround sound apart from stereo - but when it comes to plain stereo bliss its hard to beat a 2 channel amp.

For your budget you can get noth - provided you understand your requirements.

PS: I came into this forum in Feb to learn about a LCD/plasma i was goign to buy - i ended up buying a Panny PV8 plasma, an onkyo 606, a HTS 230 5.1 speaker package and mission m35 floorstanders - with 1.3 lakhs down in a matter < 30 days. The thing is I had no budget and was flexible since i was saving for some time and finally had to reclaim my life.

Hi Suprateep,

Thanx a lot for your valuable advice. My usage would be mostly music with some movies thrown in once a while. Would I be able to use an amp for making a home theater system down the line i.e add on 5.1/7.1 speaker sys or a reciever would be better for the same purpose. In addition,if it is receiver then is yamaha better or is there a model in onkyo/any other brand which would suit my budget. If it is amp then of which brand. As suggested by you mission 33 speaker seems to be a good budget choice.

regards,

Tally

for stereo sound at a budget you can try

A Norge 2060/concerto 1000 ~ 8-9k complete VFM and good with SQ
For speakers try m33(12-13k), m34(17-18k) - m34 is better overall with SQ.

For 25k you are done with your Musical Bit.

For movies etc you will need a capable receiver. With the above setup you can opt for a Yamaha 363/463 for around 18-25k. Later go with center and surround speakers.

The onkyo 3105/5105 is a good vfm 5.1/7.1 setup but when it comes to sheer stereo SQ nothing beats a stereo amp and good dedicated front speakers.

for stereo sound at a budget you can try

A Norge 2060/concerto 1000 ~ 8-9k complete VFM and good with SQ
For speakers try m33(12-13k), m34(17-18k) - m34 is better overall with SQ.

For 25k you are done with your Musical Bit.

For movies etc you will need a capable receiver. With the above setup you can opt for a Yamaha 363/463 for around 18-25k. Later go with center and surround speakers.

The onkyo 3105/5105 is a good vfm 5.1/7.1 setup but when it comes to sheer stereo SQ nothing beats a stereo amp and good dedicated front speakers.
Hi Suprateep,
came across my old query while browsing thru threads. As is the case with most FMs, just to update u - I had bought NAD 326 Amp + PSB Image B6 B/S in 2012. Added DCB1 Preamp and Audio Technica TT later on.
Thanx a lot for ur valuable advice when I was starting the journey.[emoji16] [emoji16]

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back