Hi there, looking for new TV purchase help

ichihimefan

Hi there, my name is Mike, and im looking for a bit of help on purchasing a new TV.

I've spent the past couple weeks looking up many websites, guides, "best of ---" suggestion sites, but not really found what im looking for yet.

I'll try my best to explain all my little nitpicks/complaints/whatever about what im interested in, and "not" interested in.

First of all i currently have a normal Standard Def, CRT TV. Not any hi-def, fancy lcd, led.. or whatever. I've been satisified with it for many years with no problems, but recently i've been fed up with some only a couple things, like for example my TV is moderately blury on the left 1/3rd, and right 1/3rd ...while only the middle 1/3rd is clear.

Bright white scenes randomly cause my TV to become eye-blinding-ly bright for no reason until something darker shows up which then goes back to normal.
So i know it's lifespan is starting to die.
-------------------------------------------

Before i even think about buying a new a TV, i'll try to write up my little nitpicks checklist of sorts.

Number 1 priority more than anything period --- I want to make sure a TV has the ability to change the aspect ratio (a button on the remote) if needed. I seriously HATE that most TV channels have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen... i just cant stand it only having like 60% of the whole TV screen size filled..
But worse is that a couple local channels in Arizona (where i live) actually box the image (all 4 corners) ..and that pisses me off royally, cause I can never watch some of my Saturday morning shows anymore cause i cant for the life of me stand watching a small box that is less than half the entire size of the TV.

I hate it so much, i just want to make sure a TV has the ability to zoom in the picture like that.

I do "not" subscribe to any HD packages, so we dont get any HD channels, and i dont need to anyway.

** I looked at one guide somewhere about "top 10 32 inch TV's of 2012" and was instantly turned off to all of them because every single one mentioned in some way or another about them having "motion blur" and i dont want motion blur... i dont ever notice any such thing like that on my current CRT SD-tv.
even though i mentioned early i have a bit of blury-ness, but i've never noticed motion blur syptoms ever before.

** I hear modern day TV's these days have input lag for playing games, that fact bugs me too, cause i dont want to deal with input lag.
apparently (correct me if im wrong), but CRT's have no such problem.
I have a nintendo wii, and xbox 360 that i regularly play on.

** Im not interested in 3D, so i dont need fancy 3D, or 3-d glasses or whatever.

** im "not" interested in "widescreen" format. just normal. so i "do not" want a TV size which was ... not very tall, but extremely wide (sorry i wasn't sure how to say that).

** there was 1 other thing wrong with my current TV that i do not know what the technical term for, is called. Alot of times, whenever an object on the screen has bright red, yellow, orange (or colors very close to those shades) they produce an always "red" smearing or bleeding coming off them that's never supposed to be there .. and it's quite distracting. Doesnt happen all the time, just "every now and then"

For example, spongebob is yellow right ?? well the edges of him will sometimes show a bunch of red coming off the edges, i dont know what this problem is called. I hope new TV's dont have this problem. I can never fix it no matter how many hours i spend screwing with the contrast, brightness, and so on, with my current TV.

** I have a similiar problem with playing games, when viewing text on the screen, or anything with black outlines will flicker rapidly making it hard to read text on the screen for playing games.
It's far less noticeable when the xbox 360 activates it's "screen saver" mode when in-active for 15 minutes, when the screen darkens.

Im not sure what that problem is called. :( I could never make it go away permantely.

** I dont know specifically if this is related to CRT's only, but it bugs me when a static object like a TV channel name's logo on the corner of the screen is expanded and contracted... outward and inward during certain motion scenes. My actual TV doesn't do that at all hardly (very little luckily), but one of the other TV's in my house does it horribly.

Do new types of TV's do that too ?? Or is that fixed ??

-------------------
Please forgive me for my horribly long post. :( I had to explain every little possible detail as much as I could. Because im not the type of person to just go buy some random TV without considering anything or planning first.

I probably would only spend no more than about 350 to 400 dollars at most. my current TV is 27 inches diagonally. So i would probably go with between 27 to 30 inches max.

There's also apparently an issue with viewing distance about all these LCD's and LED's and so on too ?? I know that some will invert the whole entire screen's colors unless your directly in front of the TV, while CRT's dont have such a issue at all.

I'd rather just get another CRT that has an aspect ratio/zooming in function as that's my absolute number 1 priority over anything else if it were possible so i wouldn't have any of those concerns about new modern tv types.

Sorry for my newbie-ness again. :( I've never owned anything outside of a CRT in my life before to be totally honest. I do not know what sort of brand-name or specific model number's to look at, etc.

Last edited:
Wow! That's quite a lengthy post. :) This forum is mostly used by Indians so i'm not sure you'll get the right model numbers etc. here.

If your current TV size is a CRT and it's 27" then a similar size for you would be 32-37". Your CRT is square shaped and an LCD is almost rectangular.

Most modern TVs have an Aspect Ratio button on the remote. I have a Panasonic and a Samsung and both of them have this feature.

Get a plasma if you don't want motion blur or input lag.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back