HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC. 96khz/24bit - ES9023+TE7022 + USB to optical converter

I gave the USB isolator a very quick try. A proper comparison was just not possible in a minute or three, as it changes the level. Somehow, I felt I would not want to use it, but this is the quickest of quick judgements.

Mrs G is glad to have something to plug her earphones into, but getting such bad performance on YouTube that she has demanded a new router. Heck, we really should just buy a new laptop.

Santy, sorry to hear you are still waiting.

And the funny thing is that by the time I was able to get the tracking number from the PO the post man delivered it at my place :eek:hyeah: and I was in the PO :p

:D

I forgot that I had given office address and I was chasing the local post/ hub office. :eek:hyeah: While I was being explained by the central customer care of Speedpost (which I could get through after several attempts), that it is still with customs and may take some time, I got my parcel placed on the table by my office assistant. :eek:hyeah:

:D

I forgot that I had given office address and I was chasing the local post/ hub office. :eek:hyeah: While I was being explained by the central customer care of Speedpost (which I could get through after several attempts), that it is still with customs and may take some time, I got my parcel placed on the table by my office assistant. :eek:hyeah:

Good congrats...

Initially I had the same impression as Thad. Not exciting. Not just average either. The overall sound appeared a little coarse or edgy; not bright, but it was not smooth to my ears. I quickly swapped to Beresford DAC, it was slightly better - more refined and enveloping, I would say. But after few hours the Sabre DAC seemed to have improved. Not sure if that is burn-in thing or psycho acoustics or my expectations died down by then, but I started to appreciate the sound quality more, as I listened more. The bass notes were strong and well defined. The overall resolution / detail is satisfactory. Its quite forward sounding but still the female vocals were slightly thin and there's a mild congestion too that is normally observed in entry level DACs. But if we factor-in the cost, it is surely a ultra high VFM. In fact, I am more excited by its size. Its almost invisible. I had connected it to my tab on one end and my tiny actives on the other. I am happy to achieve that clutter-free ness that I wanted.

By now, I was spending more time listening to some old mp3 film songs and I feel they sound so light and pleasant to the ears! The imperfections seemed to be muted to some extent and the musical notes were relatively more pronounced. What I also noticed is at low volumes, it sounded very sweet. I connected to my hp (Senn 558) the loudest volume was fairly loud and it had same presentation as my speakers. Yet to test it with my main setup. But I somehow have decided that I am NOT selling it.

Last edited:
I had connected it to my tab on one end and my tiny actives on the other.

What I also noticed is at low volumes, it sounded very sweet.

Is it compatible with tablets? Which one?

I also noticed that it sounds sweet and airy at low volumes.

Compatibility works both ways :)

First, the DAC must be compatible with one of the USB audio standards. That means that it will work without drivers being loaded. That is certainly true of the one we're talking about here.

I just tried the trial version of this app in Samsung Tab 2, attached to U2 via OTG cable. It worked but after a minute or so I noticed too much background noise. Don't know why. May be it is trial version.

Also the volume control on my tab was not working during the trial period which lasted for 3-4 minutes.

I finally received my one and have been playing with it for the last couple of hours. My impressions are not overly ecstatic so far.
I would agree with Santy's views that the sound is not exciting at the beginning. Rather than being exciting, it is more 'at your face'. I say that because it seems to me that mid frequencies are more prominent without being any 'sweeter', the higher range is more airy. Bass is definitely much tighter, with more punch and rhythm. When I add these impressions together it does not necessarily get any more musical. More musical compared to what you may ask, then the answer is Asus Xonar U3 with the 'HiFi' option turned on (which stops the sound card from adding any kind of extra synthetic 'enhancements' and outputs the signal as it is decoded from the digital stream).
Now the Asus does not hold water against the many times greater equipments in use in this forum. The music does not envelop me, while the mids are more prominent they are not as refined as I wish them to be, and thereby loses out on some detail which I otherwise could get with the Asus.
Having said all this, I do have a feeling that its performance is likely to improve with more time. My primary disappointment is the lack of refinement in music, but I somehow feel that aspect will improve, I will need to allow it more time.

The HiFiMeDIY stuff is ridiculously cheap, right?

So how about this?

It's bad, right? Surely it's got to be bad? Surely?

So who's going to try? :)

So how about this?

It's bad, right? Surely it's got to be bad? Surely?

So who's going to try? :)

I have already bought couple of them from Ebay India. They are mostly unbranded and come in different shapes/sizes. I use them mainly for skype as my laptop has one mic/HP jack. Certainly no match to U2 in terms of sound quality but still better than the one built in my laptop. And functional too.

Initially I had the same impression as Thad. Not exciting. Not just average either. The overall sound appeared a little coarse or edgy; not bright, but it was not smooth to my ears.

I would agree with Santy's views that the sound is not exciting at the beginning. Rather than being exciting, it is more 'at your face'.

Having said all this, I do have a feeling that its performance is likely to improve with more time. My primary disappointment is the lack of refinement in music, but I somehow feel that aspect will improve, I will need to allow it more time.

I am planning to order one of these tiny "wonders". I was just wondering if things have improved after "burn-in". As in, have the rough edges smoothened out a bit or is it still a little hard/harsh/bright/edgy?

U2 sounds more airy and smooth after using it for 30 hours or so. The only negative point is its inability to drive my HPs so I attach an external amp (E11/Bravo Ocean). I am not sure whether it comes with any warranty. Nevertheless, I am happy and satisfied with my investment of $65 for asyn version.

I have also received Dragonfly 1.2 this week. It's crystal clear, smooth sounding dac with more power than U2 to drive 701s and the likes. Certainly better than U2 but it comes at a price of $150 plus shipping. Unfortunately I am terribly busy with an outstation conference over the next week but will share my impressions once I return from the trip.

Hi,

I'm new to the site and did not want to start a new thread. I want to purchase the Hifimediy usb dac. I have read on other forums that I would an amp for this dac. I own Sennheiser HD 439 (32 ohms)cans. Could you guys suggest a cheap amp for this usb dac? (budget is limited to about Rs. 3.5k-4k). Would fiio e6 be a good amp for this dac?

I need your help on this.

Also comparisons of sync vs async version would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Bear in mind that people often like to say that something is "needed," as if a system would not work without it ...when it will.

If you want to listen loud, then maybe you would need an amp. If you want quality, then it is probably better to go for a combined DAC/amp. The unmodified HiFimeDIY DAC is incredible value for money, but certainly you can better sound!

Also comparisons of sync vs async version would be helpful.

This is a matter of religion. Remember that when listening to the evangelists! :)

If you want to listen loud, then maybe you would need an amp. If you want quality, then it is probably better to go for a combined DAC/amp. The unmodified HiFimeDIY DAC is incredible value for money, but certainly you can better sound!
I am asking about the requirement of amp because I read elsewhere that the measured output impedance was more than 200 ohms. As my headphones are onlly 32 ohms, I thought that I wouldn't be getting the full benefit of the DAC (Again, I read elsewhere that the output impedance must be as low as possible so that it could drive all types of headphones, including the low impedance ones). I need this DAC to bypass my crappy laptop sound card.

As you already own this DAC( from what I could gather from your previous posts on this thread), I was hoping you could help me there. I am a complete noob when it comes to dacs/amps. This my first venture in to audiophile world.

Thanks in advance!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back