HiFiMiDIY Versus Creative Omni Sound Blaster

syed_rizvi

Dear FMs,

I have a running BA 26 paired up with Norge 2060. Since most of my music is digital and lossless (FLAC, Apple Lossless etc) with my source being my laptop, I am thinking of adding a DAC to get improved sound quality. I searched through the forum and found out some real good reviews about HifiMeDIY DACs. At the same time, a friend of mine suggested Creative Omni Sound Blaster 5.1 for my requirement. So I got a little confused. The point of my confusion being, first of all (the obvious one), which one is going to give a bigger improvement in my set up ? Secondly, I saw that there are two types of DACs available at HifiMiDIY, the normal one and USB (Async) one, so which one to go for ? Lastly, there are some people who are suggesting to take a HifiMeDIY USB isolator too to get and even better sound along with the DAC.

So what do you guys suggest I should go for ?

Thanks for ready my long description :).

~Syed

I have had quite a bit of experience with Creative sound cards till a few years back.
These days they are an upgrade over onboard audio by quite a notch but they are optimized for surround effects / movie playback. For Stereo you should stay with dedicated DACs such as the Hifimediy one. What is your budget?
One very good alternative in my opinion is the offerings from Fiio, in the sub 10K category they offer incredible value.
If you still wish to stay with mainstream computer components manufacturers then consider the Asus Xonar U3, good in its own right and I have found it to be better than Creative 5.1 cards.

Hi Shibashis,

Thanks a lot for such a detailed feedback. I'm keeping my budget sub 10k as of now. So anything between 5 to 10k should be good for me but not more. Thats the reason why I did not think about Dragon fly etc.

So which is the Fiio you are referring to ? Will it be better than HiFiMeDIY ? I'm also taking out Creative as an option basis your feedback...

Thanks again...

Hi Shibashis,

Thanks a lot for such a detailed feedback. I'm keeping my budget sub 10k as of now. So anything between 5 to 10k should be good for me but not more. Thats the reason why I did not think about Dragon fly etc.

So which is the Fiio you are referring to ? Will it be better than HiFiMeDIY ? I'm also taking out Creative as an option basis your feedback...

Thanks again...

Look at the ODAC as well which is within your budget and one of the VFM DACs out there in the market but it is only USB only DAC.

Thanks Maniraj,

I guess then even Schiitt Mode 2 will be an option I guess. Do you reckon JDS ODAC is better than Schiitt

Thanks Maniraj,

I guess then even Schiitt Mode 2 will be an option I guess. Do you reckon JDS ODAC is better than Schiitt

I have used ODAC but not heard the Schitt Modi, hence cannot comment on the comparison but I think both of them should satisfy the VFM DAC option without doubt.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back