High compression drivers et all: Please Help!!

malasar

Dear All,

am pretty new to audio nd have quite a few confusions in my mind.
I hope that the gurus in this forum will surely help me clarify some of my doubts:

1. What is the difference between High Compression Drivers, Horn tweeters and the normal cone or dome tweeters. There is also another type of tweeter known as the piezo tweeter. Please explain the difference between all these and which one is better for home use.

2. Which one is a better speaker:
(A) 3-way speaker having a woofer, mid-range and a tweeter
(B) speaker having 2 drivers: A full range driver and a tweeter (no woofer, no mid-range)

3. There are lots of good PA speakers also available in the market. Some sell only drivers (need to construct cabinets separately) while some of them are company made full speakers with drivers and cabinets. Some are really cheap while there are others that are a bit pricey and there are some others which are really very very costly. Can PA speakers be used for home use.

4. I plan to construct my own floor standers with 12" woofers, 6" mid-range and 1" dome tweeters. At various points I have been told by lot of ppl that a 120/150 Watts per channel stereo amp would be sufficient to drive such speakers. But recently I was going through the website portfolios of some of the speaker manufacturers (Sonotone, PAudio (thailand) and lot many). I found that 10" - 12" drivers have outputs in excess of 200 - 300 watts. Is it right... if it is then would I require more powerful amps to drive my speakers. Or is it that since most of these manufacturers sell only PA speakers and hence the wattage of the speakers are high and normal 12" speakers available for home use do not have that high wattage.

A very longish mssg. Buy I hope you all will understand the state of mind of a novice. Pls pls reply and provide your responses.

This will be really helpful (may be this information will be useful to a lot many)

Pls do provide your guidance.

pa equipment is not suitable for home use. unless of course you have a 100 seater home theatre.

pa equipment is not suitable for home use. unless of course you have a 100 seater home theatre.

This would be true for PA speakers, but there are quiet a few very good hi-fi speaker designs that make use of pro drivers. Some of the advantages are that they tend to be more sensitive and can be driven pretty loud and clear. One con would be their size. Hawthorne Audio makes highly acclaimed 'open baffle' speakers using pro drivers(Eminence I think). Their speakers are also available as DIY kits. GR Research is another company that has a very good OB design based on pro-drivers (P-Audio) and they also sell kits.

Also, if you are looking at designing your own using pro drivers, diyaudio.com is a good place to start for resources. Open baffles would be a very easier option for DIY'ing your own speaker. Please PM me if you need more info on these 2 designs.

am pretty new to audio nd have quite a few confusions in my mind.

4. I plan to construct my own floor standers with 12" woofers, 6" mid-range and 1" dome tweeters. ...

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, I would like you to watch out that it will be a very tough journey to build the type of speakers you intend to when you need much more knowledge to aid in reasonably good decision making. It may all amount to nothing at the end unless you have buddies who can walk you through every step (outside of this forum).

I suggest to gain some knowledge and then embark on a DIY venture.

Though I do understand that building quality/complex speakers at this stage would be tough for me, I also believe that being informed is very very important... nd thats teh reason why I am here ..... to gain something from the gurus of sound ... and there are many on this forum.... so I am here ..

I have confusions on the 4 points that I have mentioned .... gyaan on building my own speakers is one of them .... I would like the experts to provide me some clarity on the other 3 points ... at this stage ... My pet project will start only when I have enough of clarity on what to make, what to use and how to execute the project ..

Thanks u all .... please keep providing the valuable support.
This is an excellent forum ...

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back