High Grade Power outlet sockets in india?

insane79

Hi,

My room is under renovation & want to know if any high grade power wall outlets are available here? Does everyone here just use the generic Roma/Anchor products wall power sockets? or do we have high end ones for sale here in India? Internationally people have options to buy high end ones like PS Audio etc.

What options do we have here?

Thanks.

@insane79
Roma/Anchor are the most popular. There is GM, Havells and Legrand too.

For outlets that have frequent insertion and removal, I have found that modular sockets get damaged after a couple of years.
The old type where the sockets are held by screws on the face plate last longer.

My experience tells me:
  • Use commodity stuff (well known Indian brands) through out the house; easy to source and replace
  • Use sturdy ones in the kitchen and bathrooms (frequent insertion and removal)
  • Use firm contact sockets for powering electronics such as AV rack and Desktop computer

I think most of us use an surge protection strips for AV and PC.
So make sure that the Indian type socket (among universal options) make firm contact where strips are used.

Cheers,
Raghu

Background ... When I used to connect my steam iron ...it use to trip and there was power failure in all the rooms ... Then I had to again switch it on in the main box .

So I recently got some rewiring done ....

used better quality wires

had separate lines taken for each of the rooms and connected it to separate switches in the main board . So even if there is overload in a particular room , it will trip there and there will be power failure only in that room .

My room has two lines ....one for Hifi use and another for regular light fan etc connected to separate switches . So insulated my HIFI rig i.e HIFI plug points were separated from other plug points used for mobile charging , steam iron etc .

Did the same for geyser

Bottom line -- Appliances like Fridge , geyser , AC , Mixie , Steam Iron and HIFI RIG can result in overload and hence tripping ...so .....plan accordingly when u do wiring ...I remember in olden days we had separate switches and fuse called as Domestic for such appliances ...this separate wiring was there even at the meter level and our electricity bill used to show two readings ..... nowadays in modern construction ...this is no longer followed ...

As far as switches are concerned ...ROMA is good ...but you no longer get that old anchor quality .....so I asked him to install double box plug points everywhere instead of single ones ....so even if one switch goes bad ...i can use the adjacent one ... without replacing it ..

Always go only for bigger plug points ...so u can connect both iron plugs and your mobile charger in the same point ....

Maestro outlets are recommended by many

They are expensive about 89 USD for a duplex plus shipping of about 80USD. If somebody can carry from US , you can save on costs.

In India, Bass and treble are dealers for Furutech . The gold or rhodium duplex costs about 20-24k. When I had enquired they only had Euro versions.

In India, Bass and treble are dealers for Furutech . The gold or rhodium duplex costs about 20-24k. When I had enquired they only had Euro versions.
Thanks for the info, I have contacted them & waiting for more info.

So you guys got your Hi Fi setup on 10/15 amps sockets? i m sure that's the least people use..

so no update call/email from bass&treble, i guess they are too busy to sell few furutech power wall outlets :p

@insane79
What are you hoping for by using other than normally available sockets?
What is the wiring plan for HT/AV setup?
What are your HT/AV components?
Is the wiring going to separated from say the regular lighting circuit?

These are the questions you need to pose to yourself and get answers that will satisfy your tastes/wallet.
Cheers,
Raghu

@insane79
What are you hoping for by using other than normally available sockets?
What is the wiring plan for HT/AV setup?
What are your HT/AV components?
Is the wiring going to separated from say the regular lighting circuit?

These are the questions you need to pose to yourself and get answers that will satisfy your tastes/wallet.
Cheers,
Raghu
Yes wiring of course is going to be separate from the lighting. My av setup which will be using the socket-
55" B6 Oled, Nad t758 v3, B&W S600 speakers(7 channels), Rel subwoofer, xbox one x, cable box, fire tv cube.

Mostly getting another Subwoofer & also a power amp.
I don't think 5amp will justify all this.

Cheers.

Hi,

My room is under renovation & want to know if any high grade power wall outlets are available here? Does everyone here just use the generic Roma/Anchor products wall power sockets? or do we have high end ones for sale here in India? Internationally people have options to buy high end ones like PS Audio etc.
Might be a good idea to check with FM magma who manufactures high quality distribution boxes in Mumbai.

Yes wiring of course is going to be separate from the lighting. My av setup which will be using the socket-
55" B6 Oled, Nad t758 v3, B&W S600 speakers(7 channels), Rel subwoofer, xbox one x, cable box, fire tv cube.

Mostly getting another Subwoofer & also a power amp.
I don't think 5amp will justify all this.

Cheers.
My suggestion would be along these lines:
1. Separate circuit for AV components
This will ensure any other element, lights/fans etc do not contribute to stray noise
2. Have the MCB rated at 16A/20A at main distribution box (DB); use appropriate think gauge wiring from DB to sockets
This will provision for any high powered amps and extra subs you plan to add
3. Keep the wall outlets 5/15A type
Easy to insert normal plug types/sizes
4. Have 4 sockets with individual switches
One for Source components
One for AVR and TV
One for Subwoofers, power amps, etc
One for telecom devices (modem, router, telephone, charging points etc)
This will give isolate digital components leaking extraneous noise

Cheers,
Raghu

i find that the wall sockets - indian make - i use Norisys in my home - cannot grip the USA sockets very well though i have bought Norisys receptacle which can take USA / UK & Indian plugs ( 6A to 13 A / 240 V )

if one uses a 10 gauge power cable - then the power socket is unable to grip due to the weight of the cable and its associated connectors.

so i use the wiremold power strip but ideally i would like the power cables direct onto wall socket

this is how it looks at the moment

sorry - most cable locations might be this way....

Last edited by a moderator:
i find that the wall sockets - indian make - i use Norisys in my home - cannot grip the USA sockets very well though i have bought Norisys receptacle which can take USA / UK & Indian plugs ( 6A to 13 A / 240 V )

if one uses a 10 gauge power cable - then the power socket is unable to grip due to the weight of the cable and its associated connectors.

so i use the wiremold power strip but ideally i would like the power cables direct onto wall socket

View attachment 34010

View attachment 34011
nice sockets, having power cables directly to the wall without a power strip can be risky right, i know bombay has decent power but u never know.

nice sockets, having power cables directly to the wall without a power strip can be risky right, i know bombay has decent power but u never know.
Actually the other way. Unless the power strips are really high end and can remove hum and have corrections built in. Ideally, use power conditioner or next best a separate line to the mains.

I use the Furutech GTX-D(R) NCF receptacles. US Style, as all my power cords are in US style from Triode Wire Labs.

Imported the receptacles from an ebay seller in Japan.

I have 2 duplex receptacles, connected to 2 dedicated 20amp circuits.

Went from standard Legrand receptacles to the Furutech.

Can strongly vouch for the performance improvement. Everything opens up - the stage becomes wider and deeper, instruments have a better sense of space, and in general everything feels more "real"

Additional benefit is that I no longer us a power distributor/strip, as all my components are directly connected to the receptacles. Digital source and dac to one set of receptacles, and power amp & subwoofer to another set of receptacles.

I use the Furutech GTX-D(R) NCF receptacles. US Style, as all my power cords are in US style from Triode Wire Labs.

Can strongly vouch for the performance improvement. Everything opens up - the stage becomes wider and deeper, instruments have a better sense of space, and in general everything feels more "real"

Additional benefit is that I no longer us a power distributor/strip, as all my components are directly connected to the receptacles. Digital source and dac to one set of receptacles, and power amp & subwoofer to another set of receptacles.

AmK

Thanks..

A pic will be nice..

Which faceplate did you use ?

And is the receptacle connected to mains power directly or via a switch ?

Regards

What about surge protection?

How about a distribution box with industrial power connectors ? A socket or a plug costs approx 250 for a 16 amp 3 pole ?

Attachments

• distribution box.jpeg
    distribution box.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 47
  • power-strips-rack-500x500.jpg
    power-strips-rack-500x500.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 48

View attachment 34010

View attachment 34011
Any idea where i can see & buy the Norisys Sockets? i heard elsewhere they are very high quality compare to the standard anchor/roma etc.

AmK

Thanks..

A pic will be nice..

Which faceplate did you use ?

And is the receptacle connected to mains power directly or via a switch ?

Regards

Hi mpw,

Could not justify spending money on the Furutech outlet covers. I only use the Furutech receptacles and wall plates.Tried a generic outlet cover, but it did not fit into the Furutech wall plate.

I wanted to connect the receptacle directly to the main circuit board, but my electrician insisted on a switch for safety reasons. We used the Legrand Arteor 32A switch. I don't know if it is any better than a regular 5A/20A switch, but it feels heavier and more solidly constructed.

I also considered a couple of changes to the main junction board:
a) Upgrade the circuit breakers used for the 2 dedicated lines
b) Use 1 phase of the MSEB supply, only for the audio system (my apartment has a 3 phase connection).

But the electrician was not too interested in re-working the main junction board, so I gave it a pass.

Pics below.

What about surge protection?
I agree, not having any surge protection is risky. But I decided against surge protection. All relatively low cost power strips that I tried, degraded the sound. The more expensive "conditioners" seem to be a mixed bag based on others' feedback/reviews. Too expensive for me to try.

The experience with the Furutech NCF wall receptacles demonstrated to me that every junction in the power supply is critical. So adding things in-between seems counter intuitive.

The area I live in has relatively good power. So I am keeping my fingers crossed!

I do think that some form of conditioning / isolation might help (my systems sounds different in the day and night). Whether this is psychological, or actual, is tough to tell :)

I agree, not having any surge protection is risky. But I decided against surge protection. All relatively low cost power strips that I tried, degraded the sound. The more expensive "conditioners" seem to be a mixed bag based on others' feedback/reviews. Too expensive for me to try.

The experience with the Furutech NCF wall receptacles demonstrated to me that every junction in the power supply is critical. So adding things in-between seems counter intuitive.

The area I live in has relatively good power. So I am keeping my fingers crossed!

I do think that some form of conditioning / isolation might help (my systems sounds different in the day and night). Whether this is psychological, or actual, is tough to tell :)

An in the same boat...

Any idea where i can see & buy the Norisys Sockets? i heard elsewhere they are very high quality compare to the standard anchor/roma etc.
See PM

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back