hii All

Rohit

hii I am new to the forum.. looking out for a good book shelf speakers can anyone help me out

welcome bro. wd b great if you could mention ur gears - or proposed ones. To start with -

a) Reason for the bookshelves - HiFi ro HT
b) Source
c) Amp
d) Interconnect
e) Preferred music genre
f) Dimention of listening area
g) Budget with stretch:D

Am sure if you provide these details there are a lot of well informed and seasoned pros who can help you!

My suggestions are:

a) Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 / Tannoy Mercury Custom F1 / Mordount Short Avant 902i
b) Monitor Audio BR2 / Kef iQ1 / Epos M5s
c) B&W 685 / B&W CM1/ ATC SCM11

All the best!

thanks for the reply bro..

welcome bro. wd b great if you could mention ur gears - or proposed ones. To start with -

i listen to more of classical/karnatic music.. i like this coming out of an 2 way speaker.. would like ur views on this

b) Source
DVD cum CD Player

c) Amp
Denon- PMA 655R integrated amp
d) Interconnect
not at present would buy kimber
e) Preferred music genre
f) Dimention of listening area
16X12 ft

hope i have answered ur quest to an extent.. ur suggestions are awaited

thanks
Rohit

i listen to more of classical/karnatic music.. i like this coming out of an 2 way speaker.. would like ur views on this

Given your budget and choice of music I would suggest you look at :
Monitor Audio RS1
B&W 685
Quad 11L / 12L (depending on price)
Epos M12.2

The Quads are especially well regarded for Classical music.

Hello Rohit!

I hope you had NOT made your choice by now. Dont take me wrong, cuz it takes a lot of auditioning from your end to zero in on the pair that YOU like the most. All of us can only suggest - its your hard earned money and what ever you buy, should sound sweet to you.

So just in case you have not made the purchase, I would any day suggest a fullrange floorstander compared to a pair of bookshelfs. NOW, I am risking the possibility of an outburst from the audiophile community for saying that. Your choice may be influenced by the size of your room, the type of music you listen too, and possibly the volume too. The same mid bass driver in a smaller enclosure is often less efficient and needs more power to run them well.

Very general statement here with exceptions to the rule but a larger floorstanding speaker genrally has a larger scale meaning full symphonic works,choral works etc. They make sound more believeable in it size and scale of the audio picture. I believe that a good pair of floorstanders can belt our full bodied music, they are not fuzzy about placement and most importantly will help you get away with the excess expenses associated with fancy stands or even a sub-woofer; if you are a purist.

Having said that, I would urge you to look into

a) Wharfedale Diamond 9.5
b) Monitor Audio Reference Series BR5
c) Kef iQ5

I believe all the above mentioned models should come within your budget and complement your amp. You did not mention your source(?!) If you are playing ur fav cds out of a 5K philips or sony, please, do yourself a favour and upgrade to atleast the entry level models from Cambridge Audio, Marantz and NAD. I heard the CA 640C v2 and Marantz CD6002 both give spectacular performances for the price and are highly regared as great value for money by the pros. Trust me you will not regret it!

In case, you are still inclined towards bookshelves, then dont think twice, go ahead with the suggestion of "particleman". I totally agree with

a) B&W 685
b) Epos M12.2
c) Monitor Audio RS1

All the best!!!

Note: I really appreciate if you could let us know what you finally purchase and how it sounds. Thanks!

I heard the CA 640C v2 and Marantz CD6002 both give spectacular performances for the price and are highly regared as great value for money by the pros.
May I please ask where you heard the CD6002 and the price of it? I have been eagerly looking for it. I hope it was in Mumbai.

I heard it at a friend's place in Dubai. He was one of the first few proud owners of CD6002:rolleyes:. I believe he picked it up during his trip to the UK, had cost him apprx 26k indian rupees, including tax.

We tested it with Hole Cole and Diana Krall cds. Both of them turned out to be excellent sounding in this machine. Very warm and musical. Tight and well timed bass response. The highs were just about ok but then it could be just my observation as my friend was blown away with the performance. One thing I noticed is that when we played the latest James Taylor - One Man Band, unplugged version, his voice could have been a little more tight may be.

Well, if you ask me, I would say its a fine player for the money and uses Marantz hi end models' components - not all but definetely the relavant ones! Marantz advices to pair it with PM6002 amp. But we did it with a Rotel RA-04, which is very good, but lacks a remote big time!

adieu.

Thanks, unleash_me, that was rather detailed and much appreciated. If its 26k abroad we can expect it to be 40k in India :rolleyes:. Guess its back to the CA 640A V2 for me.

Well well! I must admit I'm rather happy with the way things are turning around in the AV space here!:)

I guess you are lucky now that the CD6002 is available for 26K inclusive of tax and courier charges from Sound & Vision, Pune. Am sure, you will be able to source it form your local Marantz dealer with some discounts. The launch price in UK was around 250 to 270 GBP.

All the best!

PS: Rohit, what is happening with your standmounts?!

Last edited:
I guess you are lucky now that the CD6002 is available for 26K inclusive of tax and courier charges from Sound & Vision, Pune. Am sure, you will be able to source it form your local Marantz dealer with some discounts. The launch price in UK was around 250 to 270 GBP.

Sorry but I am confused now, who is getting it at 26k in India? I will get in touch with S&V in that case.

I'll explain.

When CD6002 was launched last quarter, one of my friend picked it up from UK for aprx 250 pounds. Now I'm sure, it will be cheaper especially online.

Now, the same CD player, CD6002, in India will cost you around Rs.26,000/- The complimenting amp PM6002 is priced Rs.27,000/- aprx. You can definitly expect some discount on this form the individual retailers.

I personaly know that S&V can help you with this. You may try reaching across to -

Jay Nihalani
Sound & Vision
Pune, India
Tel/Fax : +91 20 26357647
Mobile : +91 9822088022
SOUND N VISION HI FI Pune India SoundNVision Pune and Sound & Vision Pune Audio Video Home Theatre Dealers In Pune India video, visual, soundnvision, audiovideo, audiovisual, a/v, soundnvision, soundandvision, soundandvideo, soundandvisual, hifi, hig

Best regards!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back