Hindustani Classical Music

Absence from the forum for a few days, and no activity in this particular thread.

Hiten, Sri Gurav is no longer one of the lesser known artsites. He has been performing quite extensively.

Issigonis and Sivasarjun, great taste, both of you. Great collection of vocalists there.

Ustad Fayyaz Khan (Agra-Atrauli Gharana)
Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan ( Patiala)
Pandit Bhimsen Joshi (Kirana Gharana)
Pandit DV Paluskar ( Gwalior Gharana?)
Ustad Amir Khan ( Indore Gharana)
Pandit Mallikarjun Mansur (Jaipur Gharana)
Smt Gangubai Hanagal (Kirana Gharana)
Smt Kesarbai Kerkar (Jaipur Atrauli Gharana ????)

Sumeet, if I may comment, some of the gharanas you have listed above is slightly misleading. Fayyaz Khan should belong to Agra, rather than Agra-Atrauli. Contrary to whatever we may believe, there was connection among the different schools, at times through marriage, for example between Gwalior and Agra. But if Fayyaz Khan is to be put any particular gharana, it should be the Agra gharana.

Paluskar definitely belonged to Gwalior gharana, and no question there.

Although the followers of Amir Khan say that he belongs to Indore gharana (may be the Ustad himself said it at some point), but a gharana has to be comprised of at least 3 generations of music. Amir Khan followed the gayaki of the great Kirana gharana ustad Behre Abdul Wahid Khan ('behre' means deaf, at very old ages, Wahid Khan's ears were almost gone, and he used to play his tanpura very loudly and the title Behre stuck to his name). There is no doubt in most people's mind, Amir Khan belongs to Kirana gharana.

Mallikarjun Mansur and Kesarbai Kerkar both learned from the great Alladiya Khan, and belongs to what is known as Jaipur-Atrauli, just Jaipur or just Atrauli gharana.

Just a small comment on gharanas (schools). Great artistes are usually beyond gharanas. If you listen to Kale Khan of Patiala gharana (uncle of Bade Ghulam), you will not find his music ditto on Bade Ghulam Ali. On the other hand, if you listen to the Gwalior great Krishnarao Shankar Pandit, you will see that how much Bade Ghulam was influenced by Krishnarao's style. The great artistes think about their music, and develop their own style. Similarly, although Bhimsenji learned from the Kirana Gharana maestro Sawai Gandharva, he developed his own style. The traditional Kirana style used to be followed by Hirabai Barodekar and Firoz Dastur, for example.

Lastly, in response to some comments made above regarding real artistes vs commercial artistes, and real listeners vs pretenders, I think it would be best if we leave these things to time. Time has its own dynamics and things settle in their proper place with time. As a person who has done music all his life (I did not not take it as a profession because of some reasons, but I very well could, even can do it now if I really want to), Let me just say this: a true artiste always wants to perform in front of an audience who are serious listeners, not necessarily just for the so-called connoisseurs who in many cases come with a baggage. Please remember, only the musicians, who have the talent and have worked hard for many years, are the true connoisseurs, and all others, are actually not. All a true musician wants is for the listener to open his heart for the music, join in an inclusive process. I have personally known many of the very best musicians, and I have observed this personally. I personally have converted a number of people who knew almost nothing about Indian classical music, and now they are serious listeners to the extent that they do not listen to anything else. One of them even married a classical musician.

Most of you will be surprised to know the genuine interest Indian classical music (both Carnatic and Hindustani) has generated among the Westerners. As I said before in another thread, they are mostly interested in the serious part of our music. Some of them have developed into very very good performers (I have taken the name Ken Zuckerman of Basel in some other thread, he is already a senior person, but there are many others now). It is now far more than just a fashion among Westerners. Even some Western composers are composing their music according to the Indian (harmonic or just intonated) scale and not in their equally tempered scale. The world has slowly understood the value of Indian classical music. Otherwise how do you think the numerous trips made by Indian musicians abroad are supported financially. If it's just a temporary craze, it would pass in a few years. But it is sustaining for the last several decades now. In any case, if some of us can embrace Western music by heart, why can't they accept our music seriously? All they have to do is understand our scale, although it takes a bit of time.

There are several people in Kolkata (among many other places) who are also running businesses supplying Indian instruments (sitars, sarods, tablas, harmoniums, tanpuras etc etc) abroad. I know a person who used to work in a Bank. He is now completely in this business. Every year I see here in Kolkata, a lot of young people from Germany, Holland, even countries of Eastern Europe, US, Japan are coming to Kolkata, renting apartements, living quite a hard life here, just to learn music. A few of them have come to my place also to meet me. The seriousness and knowledge they have about Indian classical music is of far superior quality than the many so-called connoisseurs here. I have a feeling I will see a day before I die, when Indian classical music will be truly a global music in its true sense. In any case, doing music all my life, I like to include as many people in my musical journey as possible. Let's not make it an exclusive club. Truly great music has the power to reach everybody, and it's not a cliche - I have experienced it in my life.

Regards.

Hiten, Sri Gurav is no longer one of the lesser known artsites. He has been performing quite extensively.
Oh! I should keep myself updated. sorry.
Friends it would also be wonderful if you post artists which are less known.
All a true musician wants is for the listener to open his heart for the music, join in an inclusive process.
Agree with you. The only classical performance I attended was of Parveen Sultana. It was in evening and was in an open ground and ground was dark. When she came on stage first thing she asked was to throw some flood light on audience she said she wanted to see reaction (daad) of her audience, that's what motivates her.

Every year I see here in Kolkata, a lot of young people from Germany, Holland, even countries of Eastern Europe, US, Japan are coming to Kolkata, renting apartments, living quite a hard life here, just to learn music. A few of them have come to my place also to meet me. The seriousness and knowledge they have about Indian classical music is of far superior quality than the many so-called connoisseurs here.
Regards.

True for NRIs too. Two of my cousins from North America (one working in a global consulting firm) have decided to live in Chennai so that they can learn carnatic music seriously. They have decided to spend their twenties in India, while a far more comfortable lifestyle was available to them.

Hiten,
Having said all that, the honesty and integrity of a performing artiste is in his/her own hands. If the artiste is not sincere in his performance and only plays to an audience (experienced or novice), sooner or later the artiste is found out. There of course are such performers. On the other hand, if the artsite has the skill, and he/she is sincere in the presentation, I truly beileve he/she can actually touch even an uninitiated listener who has kept his windows open.

One more addition to the list of lesser known artists..
Jayateerth Mevundi

Yes, I have heard him recently and he is quite a sensation, I must say. He is still relatively young and yet to grow into an artiste with his own stamp on the music. At the moment he follows Bhimsen-ji almost entirely (at least the ragas I heard, including the vandishes), but whatever he does is very pleasing to listen to. He has a very good voice, very much in tune, and his taans are electrifying, but the patterns are that of an younger Bhimsen-ji. Like everybody, I see a lot of promise in him, quite an exciting prospect indeed. I have heard he is a bit temperamental. He has missed a concert in Kolkata without letting the organisers know that he was not showing up. He also missed a foreign trip because just days before he discovered that his passport expired or something like that. He is getting his opportunities in Kolkata at an young age, and naturally everybody thinks very highly of him. Does he have any CDs released yet?

Ramanujam,
What you wrote above about NRIs is quite true. I also know of a few of their children being sent to India during summers for serious training in classical music. The children are also very enthusiastic about it. Some of them have even reached a stage where they can perform in a few serious concerts when they come to India. Of course, you may have heard of Alam Khan, the youngest son of the late Ali Akbar Khan. Alam was born and brought up in the US and has an American mother. He has developed into a phenomenal sarod player at a very young age. He visits India every winter. If any of you have the opportunity, do listen to Alam Khan.

Regards.

Some useful updates.

A few weeks back i had been to a concert of N Rajam, when she played along with her daughter and grand daughters. Can't believe she is nearing eighty. In the concert there was a CD stall. This is from a label called Legendary Legacy (legandarylegacy.com).

They have a CD subscription programme where they mail you a CD of a young promising artiste every month (new recording). The prices are very low (about 100 Rs per CD) and the person at the stall said that this is purely a musical exercise and not a commercial venture. Some of you may want to try reaching this label through the website.

I also got a catalogue of Chhanda Dhara CDs from Surat. All the titles dont seem to be in stock, but this appears a good way to source Chhanda Dhara CDs which are no longer widely available in India. There appears to be an interesting Indian Classical Music sampler which has short performances from 25 artistes. Appears like a gentle and exciting introduction for untrained listeners like me.

If others are interested we could place a joint order for better terms.

Dear Asit,

I would also like your recommendations on which Nikhil Banerjee CDs i should buy out of this catalogue. I am also posting this detail on the thread on Chhanda Dhara i had started sometime back.

Times Music has also released a lot of CDs which were earlier released under Mcdowell Times Music joint brand. These are concert recordings and i had listened to them in casettes and the quality of recording was very good. CDs should be much better. They are in a series called Golden Raaga Collection.

Attachments

• Chhanda Dhara.xls
    56 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yes, I have heard him recently and he is quite a sensation, I must say. He is still relatively young and yet to grow into an artiste with his own stamp on the music. At the moment he follows Bhimsen-ji almost entirely (at least the ragas I heard, including the vandishes), but whatever he does is very pleasing to listen to. He has a very good voice, very much in tune, and his taans are electrifying, but the patterns are that of an younger Bhimsen-ji. Like everybody, I see a lot of promise in him, quite an exciting prospect indeed. I have heard he is a bit temperamental. He has missed a concert in Kolkata without letting the organisers know that he was not showing up. He also missed a foreign trip because just days before he discovered that his passport expired or something like that. He is getting his opportunities in Kolkata at an young age, and naturally everybody thinks very highly of him. Does he have any CDs released yet?
Regards.

Asit,

Following are the two CDs I have of Jayathritha Mevundi and I like them.
Blissful Ragas
Sandhya

If the artiste is not sincere in his performance and only plays to an audience (experienced or novice), sooner or later the artiste is found out.
Ofcourse, ofcourse asitda. Though Kalyan being small town we do have very old institution like " Kalyan Gayan Samaj" Most of the stalwarts have performed here from Zakir Hussain, Bhimsen Joshi to new artist like Pushkar Lele. My friends who have attended these programmes do tell me that after the programme is over if some artists feel that their performance was not upto the mark they confess it honestly. Also they discuss where they made mistakes, Unfortunately I am too ignorant about this. I just listen. :)

Since recording is mentioned I hope people in recording industry learns the lessons from the past and make extra efforts to preserve quality recordings of current artists and new artists.
YouTube - Raag Bihag rendered by Pushkar Lele

Ramanujam,
I have quite a few CDs of Nikhil Banerjee, out of those 4 from Chhanda-dhara. The best among them I like is Raga Shree (not the Cranatic Sri). Unfortunately I do not find it in your list, or did I miss it?

Nikhil Banerjee died in 1984 when he was in his mid 50s. Naturally all the Chhandadhara CDs have him in his peak form. Their recording quality is generally good, although I find a few of them at best average quality, e,g, Raga Maru Bihag and Raga Puriya Dhanashree to name 2 of them. His sitar has a lyrical quality with a deep romanticism. Just try a few of them and see how you like them. If the recording quality is good, they shoukd generally be good, as all of them were recorded when he was at his top form as I already have said.

Just found another Chhanda-dhara CD in your list, however, by Ali Akbar which I like immensely. That is the one in Raga Basant Mukhari with jogia admixtures. This is one of my test CDs I use for auditions. Musically and technically it is brilliant, at least the raga-vistar part. The Shree by Nikhil Banerjee, mentioned above, is another one of my audition CDs.

Hiten,
It actually takes a lot of courage, honesty and humility to admit one's shortcomings especially when one is famous and that too openly in front of a public audience. I also had a few experiences like that. In one of the largest music festivals in Kolkata, Ali Akbar Khan played raga Chandrannandan, one of his creations. After half an hour or so into the concert, he actually stopped and said something like, "Nothing is going right today, perhaps I should not continue". Indeed, it was not one of his best performances, he was struggling to get into the music, one could easily see. Of course the audience did not let him stop. Slowly he got into or perhaps forced himself into the music.

BTW, although I have heard the name, I have never heard Pushkar Lele sing. Do you know whom Pushkar Lele has learned from? From the youtube clip, I could not make out. A bit of Gwalior is there, but Gwalior people very seldom sing their Vilambit (slow) pieces in Ektal which Pushkar was singing in (raga Behag). Gwalior people usually do it in Tilwada or tiluwada, a 16 bit cycle different from the usual teental. The voice culture apparent from his singing has a lot of Gwalior style though.

Hegdegana,
Mukul Shivputra can at times be very good, at other times rather ordinary. I have not heard him a lot, no live concerts so far, although he performs quite regularly in Kolkata. But I have heard some his recordings. Does he suffer from a bit of inconsistency?

Regards.

Is there any particular reason why hindustani classical music is popular in Maharashtra and Karnataka (erstwhile Bombay districts) and in Bengal. Is it popular in Bangladesh too, or was it at some time?

Right now, interest in Bangladesh has surely faded. Before partition, East Bengal (now Bangladesh) had a lot of patronage of classical music from the Zamindars. The most famous of these estates was the Gouripur Raychoudhuries from the district of maimensingha district. It is the same Raychoudhury family that Satyajit Ray's grandfather Upendra Kishor Raychoudhry was adopted into. Vilayat Khan's father Ustad Enayat Khan was a court musician there, as was our guruji Ustad Dabir Khan. Vilayat Khan was born in Gouripur, and that was one reason he claimed himself to be a Bengali. He spoke reasonably good Bengali too. Of course they had a house in Kolkata which now belongs to Vilayat's brother Imrat Khan, if I am not too mistaken.

My late mother came from Brahmanbaria in Comilla district in East Bengal, very near to the hills of Tripura. The legendary Allahuddin Khan, father of Ali Akbar Khan and their family came from the same place.

But for whatever reason, interest in Classical music has gone down quite noticeably there now. Sometimes classical musicians from Bangladesh nowadays too come and perform in Kolkata. A few years ago I had the opportunity to hear one of their well-known flute players in a music festival where I also performed. I was not happy at all with his flute performance. There is a boy who comes occasionally to me for raga lessons and and is just starting to perform at a few places, and this boy plays a lot better already.

Hindustani classical music was very popular in all North Indian states even 50 years ago. Places like Rampur, Kirana, Agra, Gwalior, Indore, Baroda, Patiala, Jaipur, Lucknow and Benaras were important seats of classical music. Benaras is still an important centre. However, the flourish has gone down a bit. In Maharashtra and adjoining Karnataka, vocal music has been traditionally very strong. In Bengal, all facets have been very popular, however, more famous instrumentalists have come out of Bengal in the last 50 years, including most of the well known tabla players. The tabla playing standards are unbelievably high in and around Kolkata.

Generally speaking, it has been my observation that North Indian states have somehow lost gradually a bit of interest in classical music after India's Independence, at least in terms of producing good quality artistes, except perhaps Benaras. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards.

Last edited:
Are there music festivals in Kolkatta now?What is the best time to hear lots of concerts in a short time?
I have heard only a little live hindusthani.Can you recommend a few young or relatively unknown singers.Particularly vocalists.
My exposure is pretty much limited to the very famous masters.

Sivasarjun,
Now is not a good time. It is summer and soon there will be the monsoon. Usually not many cultural programmes are held around this time usually. The season starts from November and continues till March. Of course some things go on around the year, but the highest density is during the season I mentioned.

It makes me sad to say (because vocal music is my own subject) that although I see a lot of young and promising instrumentalists here, but the standard of vocal music is not that encouraging. The last really big talent (vocals) to come out of this region was Rashid Khan. Ulhasji (Pandit Ulhas Kashalkar) has been living in Kolkata for the last more than one decade, however, I do not see still a lot of young vocalists coming out with real substance.

I'll try to prepare a list of vocalists from this region for you.

Hegdegana,
I missed your post containing the CDs by Jaytirth Mevundi. Thanks a lot for that. I'll try to get those.

Ramanujam,
One reason I think classical music is popular in Bengal is because the mass (mostly middle-class) accepted it as their own and started practicing it themselves. Most of the famous musicians from Bengal (Ravi Shankar for example) come from middle-class educated families. Middle class Bengalis value education and culture. Even the Zamindars I mentioned were not only rich, and patronizing culture (more than just music) was not a show off, they themselves did it. The family of Rabindranath Tagore was one of the richest such Zamindars, and you know the contribution of that family (not just Rabindranath) to modern Bengali and Indian culture. I have heard from my mother that even our family had all kinds of musical instruments (not only Indian, even piano etc) in our paternal house in East Bengal (now Bangladesh) and everybody in the family knew some aspects of music. Of course, my mother learned music from a very knowledgeable musician before her marriage.

I think the same is true in Maharashtra. The common people took to music, as is generally true also in South India. In the North, classical music largely remained among the musician classes, and although in modern India many from the masses are also learning music outside the families of musicians, it has perhaps not taken the proportions reached in Bengal and Maharashtra. This is my guess. I may or may not be correct.

The other reason is obviously what happened in the last 75-80 or even 100 years. The famous musicians started shifting mostly to either Kolkata or Bombay, because they lost the patronage even before the Independence.

Regards.

Last edited:
@ Asit,

Very informative thread, specially your elaboration and narration in easy to understand style. Thanks brother.

BTW, although I have heard the name, I have never heard Pushkar Lele sing. Do you know whom Pushkar Lele has learned from? From the youtube clip, I could not make out. A bit of Gwalior is there,
You are very well right about Gwalior gharana asit da. Here is a link to his website.Pushkar Lele - Know Me - About I heard him on Marathi Channel probably 4-5 years back and liked his voice.
but Gwalior people very seldom sing their Vilambit (slow) pieces in Ektal which Pushkar was singing in (raga Behag). Gwalior people usually do it in Tilwada or tiluwada, a 16 bit cycle different from the usual teental.
Sorry I don't understand finer aspects of classical music but do tell me is it good or bad to deviate from the usual ? Are Indian Classical musicians/artists allowed to improvise ?

Hiten,
Thanks for that link of Pushkar's bio-data. It seems we have a lot in common. I also come from a middle-class family where the parents and their families had music in them but they were not professional musicians. I took up academics as a career, and my mother had me promise to her that I'd never take music as profession. Although I have kept up with my promise and pursued an academic career, I have kept up too with my 'riyaaz', and typically do a couple of concerts a year (free of charge, never took any money for concerts or giving lessons). Pushkar had the courage to leave academics and took music as a career.

You are perhaps confused about tradition and improvisation. Improvisation both in melody and rhythm is a big part in our classical music. I was talking about tradition. Like Choutaal (12 beats in a cycle) is the traditional rhythmic cycle in the Dhrupad style (Dagars mentioned above by Himadri), Jat (16 beats) and deepchandi (14 beats) are the traditional talas for the semi-classical form thumri; Tilwara (16 beats), Jhoomra (14 beats) and Ektal (12 beats) are the traditional rhythmic cycles for the Vilambit (slow) part of the Khayal form (the predominant form of Hindustani vocal classical music). Jhoomra and Ektal were traditionally used by the Kirana style singers, while Tilwada was trditionally used by the Gwalior school. The Jaipur-Atrauli people use Madhya-Vilambit Teental (16 beats) for their Vilambit Khayal pieces. Lately, there is a trend that most people irrespective of gharanas have started accepting Viambit Ektal for the slow part of the Khayal. I have no problem as such with that. I just want that the rich tradition does not get lost. Singing in Tilwada and Jhoomra certainly takes a bit more riyaaz and rhythmic training for the performer, and I just do not want that art to get lost. It's a matter of form, and form has an important role to play in classical music. The melodic content of course is more important, but we should try to preserve the riches of our music too. Ideally, a classical musician should have the talent and the riyaaz to do the following: given a new melodic combination (say an unknown raga) and given a new tala (that the musician may not be familiar with), he or she should be good enough to pick up those almost immediately and be able perform in front of an audience. I am sure the real stalwarts were able to do that. I am a hard taskmaster, ain't I? :)

Amit,
Thanks for the encouragement. I just pray that the enormous riches of our music do not get lost. The only way to keep it alive and kicking especially among the new generation is to talk more about it, try to get rid of the inhibitions from people's minds and so on, and get them to listen to it. This music has survived thousands of years, and it is got that strength in itself. There have been invasions and many many other factors. However, our music and many other facets of our culture are still there almost entirely in its basic essence.

Regards.

Last edited:
Thanks Asit,especially for explaining the technical aspects.
So which gharana?artist was technically(Using complex rhythmic patterns)superior to others?
In Karnatic there is a tendency to showoff rhythmic mastery at the cost of melodic unity.In fact Semmangudi was reluctant to use complex patterns preferring sarvalaghu bades singing.Many used to say that he was a little deficient in Tala.
Is there any corresponding thing in hindustani.?
Disclaimer-I have not studied music and dont understand the technical aspects but love to hear experts talk and try to get a handle on why I like certain singers and why I cant stand some.
Regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back