Hmmm so Class D it is : the future of audio

In early days Class D switching frequency (Dont fully know what it is but something about modulation of music content) was close to audible range of 20khz. And people claimed it affected high frequencies sound quality. later on the switching frequencies were moved further away from audible band. To my tin ears only Tripath sounded good. but had low power output.

Mr. John Curl has designed only few Parasound models.
Regards
Yes. The Halo JC products only.
Cheers,
Raghu

This may be a silly question (thanks for your patience with my ignorance)
I keep coming across two terms “damping factor” and “high current” amplifiers in relation to speaker matching.
I was wondering if these factors contribute to differences between class A, AB and D type amp designs and SQ differences between them?

In early days Class D switching frequency (Dont fully know what it is but something about modulation of music content) was close to audible range of 20khz. And people claimed it affected high frequencies sound quality. later on the switching frequencies were moved further away from audible band. To my tin ears only Tripath sounded good. but had low power output.

Mr. John Curl has designed only few Parasound models.
Regards

I had bought the tripath and also tried it out with a regulated DC proper power source..it lacked harmonics even in comparison to a sugden A21a amp abd at that price it was stupendous but in absolute sound quality it was a miss

No idea on how Class Ds today fare .

arj,
My tripath was loose module by designed Arjen Helder. I was not comparing with other amps only few among the class D amps which I had listend to.
As for Sugden A21 ...it's 'class' apart :)
regards

I keep coming across two terms “damping factor” and “high current” amplifiers in relation to speaker matching.
I was wondering if these factors contribute to differences between class A, AB and D type amp designs and SQ differences between them?
Damping factor, yes as it is independent of the type....regarding high current, I don't know, maybe some amp designer in the forum can expplain that part

Mr. Hans Beekhuyzen explains damping factor in this video

I = V/R ( I = current, V = voltage, R = resistance/impedance)
When R momentarily dips, to hold the output at V stably, the power supply section should be able to provide higher current.
This is also mentioned in the above video (briefly, though)
Otherwise, in some situations (say very high volumes) when pushing the amp to its limit, clipping sets in. Clipping is not good for the speakers and ears.

Cheers,
Raghu

Pascal was formed in 2006 - 15 years ago. Hypex in 1996, 25 years ago. IcePower 20+ years ago. So, hardly new to be slotted in the "now" or "these days" category. They were not taken seriously by the "cult". Most of the people pooh poohing Class D et al probably last heard them a long time ago and probably have little clue how far they have come since then. IMO, they sound accurate. Balls on accurate! As for subjective attributes missing in Class D like (lack of) flesh, lushness, body, emotion etc there's always the option to add on these attributes via a pre or a buffer that can add these harmonics/euphony aka different varying levels of distortion. Or via my favorite - VST plugins in JRiver that let you add this for free!

Last edited:
Slightly OT:
Has anybody auditioned/used Allo Volt+ amps? Is it any better than cheap Class T amps of 2000/- or 3000/- INR range?

I'm looking for something as stop gap arrangement until I fix my DIY amp.

Slightly OT:
Has anybody auditioned/used Allo Volt+ amps? Is it any better than cheap Class T amps of 2000/- or 3000/- INR range?

I'm looking for something as stop gap arrangement until I fix my DIY amp.
I listened to volt+D at my home with different speakers.

Cheers,
Raghu

@raghupb Wow! That was detailed review of the amp. Thank you!
I'm looking at just the Volt+ amp though and I guess going by the reviews of Volt+ D online, Volt+ must be at least better than the most Class T amps around 2K INR range.

Are there any such? (Great sounding Class D amps)?
Reccomendations, suggestions please…
I am asking you for exactly the same, lol.
Peachtree has had a few models, they are good people say. Their is the Mytek Brooklyn, also quite good but compared to the traditional names? Your guess is as good as mine.
The NAD C series are class D, I am trying to think if I have heard these recently. Even if I did, the thing is it is near impossible to come to an objective conclusion. I remember hearing a NAD C series model at one of Kolkata dealer's (I think it was the C368, I could be wrong though...), it was good, it was alright. Was I taken aback at the quality, no. I had no idea it was a class D in its innards. And then we switched to a Plinius, and guess which one we preferred, no prizes for guessing.
But the Plinus was 4 times the price of the NAD so it had to take our breath away. You see what I am getting at? It is unfair on the class D to expect it will compete with the mighty Plinius. Now perhaps bring into the picture a similarly priced class D, then we could have a proper conversation.
I have not had that conversation yet.

I am asking you for exactly the same, lol.
Peachtree has had a few models, they are good people say. Their is the Mytek Brooklyn, also quite good but compared to the traditional names? Your guess is as good as mine.
The NAD C series are class D, I am trying to think if I have heard these recently. Even if I did, the thing is it is near impossible to come to an objective conclusion. I remember hearing a NAD C series model at one of Kolkata dealer's (I think it was the C368, I could be wrong though...), it was good, it was alright. Was I taken aback at the quality, no. I had no idea it was a class D in its innards. And then we switched to a Plinius, and guess which one we preferred, no prizes for guessing.
But the Plinus was 4 times the price of the NAD so it had to take our breath away. You see what I am getting at? It is unfair on the class D to expect it will compete with the mighty Plinius. Now perhaps bring into the picture a similarly priced class D, then we could have a proper conversation.
I have not had that conversation yet.
SOTA class D amps are what I feel will take over stage in the coming years.

The old generations of audiophiles will become less relevant markets :D

I even forsee a wireless audio becoming mainstream in audiophilia.

Next 5 years it will be interesting. (Says me looking at the crystal ball :):):)

<snip>
<snip>
One does not need foresight. Various technologies are already there.
- Phone/Tablet to system via bluetooth
- Streaming services
- Wireless sub-woofer or inter-speaker signal transmission

And now with companies actually paying serious attention to integrated systems, the game is taken to next level.
Late last year, I had the opportunity to host and play around with KEF LS50W II (based on the Meta tech).
I was stunned by the amount of system integration and technology present in 2 small boxes.
- Speaker integration via Meta material UniQ drivers
- On board custom amps per driver (280W class-D for LF, 100W class-AB for HF)
- Wireless streaming services (all the popular services available today)
- Wireless transmission from master to slave speaker
- Bluetooth support
- all kinds of audio/file formats, PCM, MQA, DSD, etc
- HDMI eARC, Optical, Coax inputs and dedicated subwoofer output per speaker
- Customizable DSP/EQ
- Stable app for Android/IoS

I heard LS50W and LS50W II side-by-side at the showroom.
Immediately, I could perceive a difference in sound presentation.
When I heard the new ones in my living room, they were something else.
I have taken a few years to build up my audio rig over many years, component by component.
This system in comparison had everything that I currently have and possibly want in near future seamlessly integrated.
Is it a perfect system, no. Is it a workable system, definitely yes.
Is is simple enough for the average Joe; all you need are 2 power sockets and a data connection to keep rockin'

Sound quality: Accurate (as @keith_correa says, balls-on accurate)
Sound adjustment: Many possibilities with a combination of placement and EQ
Connectivity: Wired/Wireless, digital, analog, TV and subwoofer
Aesthetics: A fine looking pair of speakers; no clutter, absolute minimum are 2 power cords

Then there are companies like Buchardt, Devialet, Lyngdorf, B&W, NAD, etc that are spearheading various integration curves.
We as hobbyists just need to take off our old jaded glasses, probably faded too, and consider what's out there.
New and efficient tech is all around us. We just need to give it a try and accept that it is here to stay.

In the past few years I have heard class-D from:
- NAD (Masters), wow
- the humble Crown lineup
- Allo (love what a tiny, dinky little box can do)
- KEF
- and a few BT speakers

I would boldly say in the coming decade class-D, wireless and DSP tuning are going to become mainstay even in the "audiophile" universe.

Cheers,
Raghu

This is already there - just look at the popularity of Roon and streaming services. The only thing missing is bluetooth, which may catch up with the recent announcement of lossless capable bluetooth
My perspective was not to ROON or streamer service.

But rather we are beginning to see the active speakers powered by class d (as active speaker components) in a connected system ......so no need for interconnects/speaker cables. (Possibly the cable snakeoil will be evolved out :D

DSPs for room corrections etc.

So a smartphone/media player with active speakers.

PS: QUALCOMM has already announced the ApTX lossless. So it will interesting how this integrated.

Apple music is also going to churn a lot....in lossless/Hi-res music market.

Last edited:
SOTA class D amps are what I feel will take over stage in the coming years.

The old generations of audiophiles will become less relevant markets :D

Next 5 years it will be interesting. (Says me looking at the crystal ball :):):)
Yeah, Just like vinyl disappeared?
Old audiophiles will refuse to disappear; they just fade away gently into the night :)
But on point, what is class D SOTA? Anyone heard it?

Yeah, Just like vinyl disappeared?
Old audiophiles will refuse to disappear; they just fade away gently into the night :)
But on point, what is class D SOTA? Anyone heard it?
Is there really a vinyl resurgence?

I reserve my opinion. Vinyl is a noisy format. I am yet it see the millennials crazy about vinyl. (So after 10-20 years, let's see what vinyl does :) )

Aren't purifi https://purifi-audio.com/eigentakt/ SOTA?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back