Home made wine

Wonder if you can make an Audiophile one that will boost the SQ perception after a few shots enter the system ;)
We can call it audiophile contamination
adequate consumption of normal water will improve ear’s capabilities. :)
One more reason to have plenty of water.

The risk involved in a possible food poisoning post fermentation is the barrier or mind block that kept me away from trying this. Its no rocket science agreed.

AFAIK, wine is typically anti-microbial so the chance of food poisoning is remote. Yes, wine can be "off" but that does not cause food poisoning and a sip will tell you that it's "off".

Other than that, the only danger I have found is in having way too much wine on hand.
It doesn’t take very long to find yourself with a few dozen bottles of wine sitting in the back room, waiting patiently for willing host.

The home made wine usually falls under 5 to 6% alcohol right? There is a Russian bread beverage known as Kvass. I tasted it in Russia, Krygystan, Uzbekistan and even in Chennai Winter palace at the Russian cultural and science center in Chennai a few years back. It is mildly alcoholic at not more than 5 to 6%. Still can give a diabetic buzz. These home made wine cant get us drunk anyways i presume. Maybe like kvass.

Great resource. I've been making wine at home ever since I was a kid, but the stuff from this site helps me take it to the next level!

Most of the home made wines I have tasted end up being too sweet.
Most of the people making them don't have any idea about how much of sugar will convert to alcohol and usually add extra sugar on top of the fruit's inherent sugar.

Most of the home made wines I have tasted end up being too sweet.
Most of the people making them don't have any idea about how much of sugar will convert to alcohol and usually add extra sugar on top of the fruit's inherent sugar.
Even Indian cheap liquor shop wines are too sweet. Like a parrot the doctors will say anywhere in the world sampling my blood sugar levels - Сахар Нельзя! Sugar is Forbidden! चीनी मना hai! சர்க்கரை தடைசெய்யப்பட்டுள்ளது!

Music and audio is the only pleasure that diabetics in a middle age can enjoy. Not even wine thats supposed to be good for health because of the sweet poison glucose thats almost an essential ingrediant.

Even Indian cheap liquor shop wines are too sweet. Like a parrot the doctors will say anywhere in the world sampling my blood sugar levels - Сахар Нельзя! Sugar is Forbidden! चीनी मना hai! சர்க்கரை தடைசெய்யப்பட்டுள்ளது!

Music and audio is the only pleasure that diabetics in a middle age can enjoy. Not even wine thats supposed to be good for health because of the sweet poison glucose thats almost an essential ingrediant.
Cheap wines are known as Port Wines.
Port wines are not genuine wines; they are simply a mixture of neutral alcohol (white vodka if you want something close) + sugar + wine base (like partially fermented grape juice) or flavoring agent (in place of wine base you can add flavoring agents that work cheap)

By the way I have done blood sugar testing after drinking different drinks on different days empty stomach (using those finger pricking kits).
Genuine high quality red wine will have extremely low sugar (approx 5 g per liter). The drier the wine (like Shiraz) the less sugar content (or in other words entire sugar has converted to ethanol) - and the more negligible the blood sugar increase (90 to 100). Beer causes significant rise (from 90 to 120).

Port wines are not genuine wines; they are simply a mixture of neutral alcohol (white vodka if you want something close) + sugar + wine base (like partially fermented grape juice) or flavoring agent (in place of wine base you can add flavoring agents that work cheap)

By the way I have done blood sugar testing after drinking different drinks on different days empty stomach (using those finger pricking kits).
Genuine high quality red wine will have extremely low sugar (approx 5 g per liter). The drier the wine (like Shiraz) the less sugar content (or in other words entire sugar has converted to ethanol) - and the more negligible the blood sugar increase (90 to 100). Beer causes significant rise (from 90 to 120).
Mine after having tablets twice a day stands at 160 empty stomach. PP reading is usually above 250 even with foods that have low glycemic index.! For a long time now I sobered down and just had alcohol far and few between to not graduate into insulin requirements. Thats one big detering factor from this home made diy wine making. Nothing can be hidden from the wife and adolescent children. But my curiosity to try making it lately increased seeing so many positive responses.

Personally I've grown up drinking home made wines that are close to Port in taste, and in my opinion port, sherry, Muscat and other dessert wines are the best!

I am not a wine purist. Personally I hate all these fancy "high end" wines. They're like the wine equivalent of the guy who has a hifi to listen to only Rebecca pidgeons Spanish Harlem. Port wines are not necessarily cheap. It's just that unfortunately, in India, the cheapest wines tend to be called port, but are basically spirit mixed with grape flavour. You can get plenty of nice reserve ports abroad. There it's a lot of history behind port (read up on wiki) but it's very much an authentic wine. Just because it's fortified doesn't make it any less authentic, just like blending scotch doesn't make it a fake. Sadly there are no good ports in India. The only decent mass market wine I like in India is bro code.

I understand all of us have very strong preferences on this subject, but request you to refrain from making blanket statements.

Last edited:
There is no such animal as a genuine wine. Any alcoholic drink made from fermentation of fruit [not only] is termed wine. Nor are cheap wines Port wine - cost is not an indicator of the type of wine.
And, Port wine is just wine made from a relatively sweeter variety of grape, it's just that the fermentation process converting sugar to alcohol is halted halfway by mixing grape brandy to it. Still a wine! I think your opinion is based on most of the truly bad "Port" produced and available locally. Look beyond local [especially to Portuguese produce] and you will be surprised. Pleasantly!

There is no such animal as a genuine wine. Any alcoholic drink made from fermentation of fruit [not only] is termed wine. Nor are cheap wines Port wine - cost is not an indicator of the type of wine.
And, Port wine is just wine made from a relatively sweeter variety of grape, it's just that the fermentation process converting sugar to alcohol is halted halfway by mixing grape brandy to it. Still a wine! I think your opinion is based on most of the truly bad "Port" produced and available locally. Look beyond local [especially to Portuguese produce] and you will be surprised. Pleasantly!
Porto wine i have tasted once. Good stuff.

You may be referring to non-Indian ones.
I was replying to Donivlapog
Even Indian cheap liquor shop wines are too sweet.
The ones labelled as port wine in India are necessarily cheap and plain flavored & sweetened beverage with neutral spirit added.
(Not much different from "Breezer" if you compare)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back