Home theater Design / Upgrade recommendations

smsrini

Gurus,
I currently have a 5.1 HT with below config.
Wharfedale 9.5 fronts, 9.0CS, WH201 rear surrounds
Yamaha RXV661 Receiver
Pioneer DVD Player
Tata Sky HD+
Sony EX710 LED TV

I'm looking for advise on the recommended upgrade for this configuration, that will serve for another 2 yrs. Budget can be spread across multiple buys.

The Yamaha is not able to pass thru HDMI, other than that there is no problem with the receiver. I suspect HDMI compatibility issues. The receiver is HDMI 1.2a while the TV, DVD player are 1.4 or above.

Does it really make sense to upgrade the Receiver to be able to route all HDMI thru the receiver ? Is the HDMI output better than the optical ?

Initial thought was to buy a BD player and stick with the rest of the config.

However there are other things going on in my mind.

Can someone throw light on how the Home Theatre configurations have changed over the last 2 years.

While the basics still hold good - a 5.1/ 7.1 Receiver with speakers etc., there is a lot of development on the source front.

Earlier it was simple to have a DVD Player or a BD player as source.

Now I can have a BD player, Media Player, Apple Airplay, Internet radio/streaming, Satellite Radio, Settop Box ( Tatasky ) etc., etc.,

A settop box and a BD player probably are a given.

Do I get a Internet TV or a Internet Receiver or a WDTV Live box with Internet or a PS3 with Internet ? Where is it most optimal to have an internet connection into the HT ?

Do the media players like WDTV also play BD content ? i.e. can i rip the BD and play thru the WDTV ?

Airplay ? or similar tech that can stream wirelessly from your PC / Storage server ? will this be able to play BD content also ?

Remote control(s). Which is the best option to control all devices from a single remote ? Should / would you also include room electricals into this, even if it is not a dedicated HT room ?

Please share your thoughts / configurations if you've already 'been there done that'.

thanks
Srini

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back