Home Theater Receiver & Speakers

mreddyj

Friends,
In the last 2 months i have gone around in Bangalore to figure out the HT receivers & speakers. But in all the 4 places i visited i could not find the combination i was looking for. There was no single place where the same receiver was used and the speakers where changed or either it was very limited.

1) Here they showed me a combination of Denon 2400 + KEF/Polk RTI series FS speakers ( I liked RTI series in comparison to KEF, however later after reading much i got to know that Polk are no so good compared to Taga,Dali or Q-Accoustics)
2) Here i got to see Marantz SR6011 + Taga Harmony FS speakers/ Q-Accoustics FS speakers ( when connected with Taga, i felt the background instrument,bells sound in Carnatic music went missing & i did like Q-Accoustics better & the dealer mentioned that should be the speakers i should go with )
3) Here i got to see Denon 1500H + Triangle FS/ satellite speakers.
4) Denon + Yamaha + Pioneer & focal FS speakers. ( did not see much reviews of focal & here the dealer was insisting that i go with a package so he can give a good discount)

My requirements are 50:50 (movies:music), i definitely enjoy the sharpness, punch & clarity in the sound and definitely not a big fan for warmer side of the sound. I enjoy listening to Carnatic music, bollywood & tollywood music. My budget is around 1.7 lac and i already have a Optoma HD 143X projector & so i am looking for A/V Reciever + speakers + SUB . I definitely cannot go with FS speakers since the placement of the LCR speakers need to be against a wall since there is no ground below the screen and hence looking a bookshelf speakers. Request you to help me with the combination that can go with the choice of music i like.

Here are some of the questions I have

1) Since i simply could not audition with BS speakers(Wharfdale diamond/Dali or Taga ), can i go with Q-accoustics BS speakers that will still give the sharp/clear sound that i desire ?
2) One of the dealer mentioned that Wharfdale/Dali/Taga are more on the warmer side and will not get the effect i am looking at, is this true ?
3) One thing i am happy is i was able to decide on the SUB which is BIC America PL-200, i got the chance to demo and also read through the ownership threads and it gave me confidence.
4) In this whole journey i think the AVR i am thinking is either Denon 2400h or Marantz SR 6012. Would appreciate if you suggest the combination that goes well.

Please help me with the choice of BS speakers + A/V Reciever that i need to make and if possible please point me to any dealer who can audition these for me in Bangalore.

Last edited:
If you happened to like q acoustics then stick to that. And if you liked polk RTI then even if you read that polk not good then it's not true. There are many satisfied Polk users in this forum, including myself.

You have zeroed in on a good sub so at least that part is settled.

Denon 2400 vs marantz 6012..you are comparing apples with orange. Probably denon 4300 will be a better comparator. Budget permitting, go for 6012.

If you happened to like q acoustics then stick to that. And if you liked polk RTI then even if you read that polk not good then it's not true. There are many satisfied Polk users in this forum, including myself.

You have zeroed in on a good sub so at least that part is settled.

Denon 2400 vs marantz 6012..you are comparing apples with orange. Probably denon 4300 will be a better comparator. Budget permitting, go for 6012.

Thanks @dr_rocket , at this point i am trying to match the music i like to the speakers that are out there, i don't want to believe what a specific dealer is saying. Yes i agree on denon 2400 vs 6012 is not a very good comparision, But if you tell what i might get better going with 6012 then it will be very helpful. From what i can infer 6012 has the capability to play real good music that probably might have needed a dedicated stereo setup, is this a correct fact ?

Room dimensions are 15 ftx9 ft. However this is the area where i have kept the screen. But this is part of the living room

Ok..Hope the projector screen is on the 9ft wide wall..

If you were to choose Marantz SR 6012, then it would consume most of your budget abt 95K , leaving you with 80K for speakers & subwoofer.. This 9 channel AVR is capable of 11 channels using additional power amplifier in a 7.2.4 set-up.. And a sub of your choice say for 30K, leaves you with 50K for the speakers.. Sure, you can take this route, if you would add heights, surr back & power amplifier to your set-up progressively..

However, if you can't spend anymore than your mentioned budget, then consider Denon X 3400, a 5.2.2 capable AVR only...

If you prefer to wall mount speakers, then choose the speakers with wall mount capability..

I have Taga Harmony Platinum LCR 60 SL speakers, wall mounted in my living room.. The speakers have shallow depth.. 1/3rd the depth of the usual BS speakers.. So mounting them on wall, will not protrude the speakers in a living room..

If you have false ceiling, then adding a pair of in-ceiling speakers above your listening position should be easy.. If you don't have false ceiling, then a speaker with thread insert would be better, as it would be easier to mount on ceiling with external brackets..

It is always said that Marantz AVR are as good as other AVR in home theater use and have slightly edge over others in music . Marantz SR6012 is one of the best AVR available today with 9 channels amplification and 11 channels preout. If space is the problem for speakers than wall mounted speakers may be the good option for you. Definitive Technology ProCinema 800 will work like a
charm for you.

Room dimensions are 15 ftx9 ft. However this is the area where i have kept the screen. But this is part of the living room
If possible, audition the BIC America bookshelf(Not warm sounding) and NHT(Neutral) Bookshelf. Marantz SR 6012 is great amp and if budget matters, consider SR5012. BIC Pl200 is one of the best sub for the price bracket. For BIC n NHT contact ProSonics Bangalore.

If possible, audition the BIC America bookshelf(Not warm sounding) and NHT(Neutral) Bookshelf. Marantz SR 6012 is great amp and if budget matters, consider SR5012. BIC Pl200 is one of the best sub for the price bracket. For BIC n NHT contact ProSonics Bangalore.
Thanks @abhi33 will try to checkout Prosonics !

It is always said that Marantz AVR are as good as other AVR in home theater use and have slightly edge over others in music . Marantz SR6012 is one of the best AVR available today with 9 channels amplification and 11 channels preout. If space is the problem for speakers than wall mounted speakers may be the good option for you. Definitive Technology ProCinema 800 will work like a
charm for you.
thanks will try. But coming to wall mounted speakers, i am thinking of going with booshelf itself but with a wall attached tiltable bracket, something like this https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=i&s...aw1mDgiu4Jcv8EuSFmpx5PrZ&ust=1533198172215881
the vendor is giving me at 13k, looks expensive, but not many are there in market.

Ok..Hope the projector screen is on the 9ft wide wall..

If you were to choose Marantz SR 6012, then it would consume most of your budget abt 95K , leaving you with 80K for speakers & subwoofer.. This 9 channel AVR is capable of 11 channels using additional power amplifier in a 7.2.4 set-up.. And a sub of your choice say for 30K, leaves you with 50K for the speakers.. Sure, you can take this route, if you would add heights, surr back & power amplifier to your set-up progressively..

However, if you can't spend anymore than your mentioned budget, then consider Denon X 3400, a 5.2.2 capable AVR only...

If you prefer to wall mount speakers, then choose the speakers with wall mount capability..

I have Taga Harmony Platinum LCR 60 SL speakers, wall mounted in my living room.. The speakers have shallow depth.. 1/3rd the depth of the usual BS speakers.. So mounting them on wall, will not protrude the speakers in a living room..

If you have false ceiling, then adding a pair of in-ceiling speakers above your listening position should be easy.. If you don't have false ceiling, then a speaker with thread insert would be better, as it would be easier to mount on ceiling with external brackets..

Thanks @elangoas for the detail writeup, it really helps. My only concern is if "Q Accoustics" is a good choice that i will be making ?

thanks will try. But coming to wall mounted speakers, i am thinking of going with booshelf itself but with a wall attached tiltable bracket, something like this the vendor is giving me at 13k, looks expensive, but not many are there in market.

13K for wall mounts?.. Thatz insane..

Get a portable TV stand from a local electronics store, will not cost more than Rs 500 per piece.. When you buy more pieces, chances of getting even more reduced price..

Same pic below - I had used this when i had Klipsch BS speakers (huge ones).. It has horizontal & vertical tilt to some extent..

0PkIStg.jpg

My only concern is if "Q Accoustics" is a good choice that i will be making ?

You already like Q Acoustics, and you have narrowed down to BS.. Aren't there any Q acoustics BS with key hole mounts?.. Can save you 13K..

If possible just audition Polk RTIA3/1 speakers. They have key hole and can be directly mounted on wall with the help of nail. As front ported, no need of space behind. Just check if you like you can save money as well as mounting hassels.

13K for wall mounts?.. Thatz insane..

Get a portable TV stand from a local electronics store, will not cost more than Rs 500 per piece.. When you buy more pieces, chances of getting even more reduced price..

Same pic below - I had used this when i had Klipsch BS speakers (huge ones).. It has horizontal & vertical tilt to some extent..

0PkIStg.jpg

You already like Q Acoustics, and you have narrowed down to BS.. Aren't there any Q acoustics BS with key hole mounts?.. Can save you 13K..
yeah i found some on amazon https://www.amazon.in/Smart-Shelter...3123298&sr=8-4&keywords=speakers+wall+bracket , but want the front tilt so looking around, incase if you find something please let me know.
Only doubt i have is whether Q-Accoustics is good or should i go with Taga Harmony BS set of speakers. Because i am not able to get the BS speakers demo but rather they are doing demo on FS and say BS will be similar.

If possible just audition Polk RTIA3/1 speakers. They have key hole and can be directly mounted on wall with the help of nail. As front ported, no need of space behind. Just check if you like you can save money as well as mounting hassels.
ok, but yeah i did not consider RTI into my evaluation since i heard that polk are not so good as Dali,Taga,Q-accoustics or KEF

This looks fine..

but want the front tilt so looking around, incase if you find something please let me know.

Why do you want to tilt the speakers?.. If you mount them on wall, with tweeter at your ear-level it should be fine..

Only doubt i have is whether Q-Accoustics is good or should i go with Taga Harmony BS set of speakers. Because i am not able to get the BS speakers demo but rather they are doing demo on FS and say BS will be similar.

Since you room width is 9 feet, having a BS depth close to 30cm and wall mounted with the above on either sides can be obstructive in the room, be it for surrounds (or) surr back.. I had the same problem in my small living room of 14 x 11 with Klipsch RP 160M and realised that..

Ex : Something that has shallow depth, Taga Harmony Platinum SL (slim) series, not more than 15cm depth might be better choice if wall mounted (S90 SL) - http://www.tagaharmony.com/catalog,series,id,56,home_speakers_platinum_slim_series

Since they are also inexpensive compared to rest of the brands, it opens up the choice of Marantz SR 6012 with in your budget..

Choose what you think will fit your room and not what the dealer suggests..

This looks fine..

Why do you want to tilt the speakers?.. If you mount them on wall, with tweeter at your ear-level it should be fine..

Since you room width is 9 feet, having a BS depth close to 30cm and wall mounted with the above on either sides can be obstructive in the room, be it for surrounds (or) surr back.. I had the same problem in my small living room of 14 x 11 with Klipsch RP 160M and realised that..

Ex : Something that has shallow depth, Taga Harmony Platinum SL (slim) series, not more than 15cm depth might be better choice if wall mounted (S90 SL) - http://www.tagaharmony.com/catalog,series,id,56,home_speakers_platinum_slim_series

Since they are also inexpensive compared to rest of the brands, it opens up the choice of Marantz SR 6012 with in your budget..

This looks fine..

Ok, these SL series looks pretty sleek and the pricing is also pretty inexpensive, Are these Taga Harmony speakers as good as the Accoustics, I just want to be sure that they are not the "warmer" side of the speakers. And my next question is its only the bass which i am going to be losing out by opting for these SL series ?

Are these Taga Harmony speakers as good as the Accoustics, I just want to be sure that they are not the "warmer" side of the speakers

Taga Platinum Slim series should be equally good as Q Acoustics.. I have the LCR60 SL with Denon x 3300 in my untreated room, would be incorrect to comment on the sound signature.. But, the highs are nice, bit of sparkles here & there and i like them..

If you are considering Taga Platinum, repeat the demo at the dealer place with the AVR remote in your hand.. Even a incorrect setting can change the impression..

And my next question is its only the bass which i am going to be losing out by opting for these SL series ?

Yes.. But that would be covered when you have a sub..

Hi mreddyj...

Speakers are a matter of personal taste. So if you liked the polks, you can disregard whatever the dealer said. Polk is a respectable brand in its own right.

If you have a split of 50:50 for music and movies, I would heartily recommend any marantz AVR you can fit within your budget. Personally the sweet spot for me is the older marantz sr6011. Just has the right amount of functionality, and sounds beautiful for both music and movies. So the higher priced and newer sr6012 is really not required.

If I were you, I would be looking for sr6011's on the web right now :)

Coming back to speakers, I haven't heard taga. But for what it's worth , iam using a complete qacoustics setup with my marantz sr6011, and it sounds really good to my ears. There is every possibility that the taga's might suit the marantz better.

Only way to find out, is to settle on a single AVR first. And then audition all aforementioned speakers with that AVR. All marantz's, Yamaha's, denon's etc etc have their own house sound. So you can audition any AVR from that company family. And see what you like :)

Hi mreddyj...

Speakers are a matter of personal taste. So if you liked the polks, you can disregard whatever the dealer said. Polk is a respectable brand in its own right.

If you have a split of 50:50 for music and movies, I would heartily recommend any marantz AVR you can fit within your budget. Personally the sweet spot for me is the older marantz sr6011. Just has the right amount of functionality, and sounds beautiful for both music and movies. So the higher priced and newer sr6012 is really not required.

If I were you, I would be looking for sr6011's on the web right now :)

Coming back to speakers, I haven't heard taga. But for what it's worth , iam using a complete qacoustics setup with my marantz sr6011, and it sounds really good to my ears. There is every possibility that the taga's might suit the marantz better.

Only way to find out, is to settle on a single AVR first. And then audition all aforementioned speakers with that AVR. All marantz's, Yamaha's, denon's etc etc have their own house sound. So you can audition any AVR from that company family. And see what you like :)

Thanks @newlash09 , i need the HEOS setup since i plan on getting FS speakers to my terrace room and use it dedicated to music. So thats another reason for 6012. however i have 2 questions for you

1) How is the heating of 6011 compared to 6012, i did hear lot of heating with 6012
2) Do i need to buy BS speakers for the rear or can i settle for regular rear/surround speakers which seem to cost cheaper ?

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back