home theater setup audio guidance

uttam

Friends,
After reading the forum silently over a period of 1.5 years, I finally dropped the idea of buying Sony, Philips Home Theaters. I am very much thankful to the forum for introducing the new vision ''HIfivision''. I started to build a HT setup with the help of respected FM and bought a benq W1070 projector six months back. Since then I am enjoying full HD on 120'' image. Which is admired by family member's, neighbors & friends. However I still have to set up HT Audio compononts. I am using lepai amplifier with 2 old Aiwa speakers, earlier used with aiwa 3 cd changer 12 year back.
I wish to set-up audio component now. As I will be building complete system over a period of 6 to 9 months. So I need your help guys.
Details of room are as follows.
A 'L' shape room, but the HT section will be limited to 12'20' height 10'

Presently projecting on 12' wide wall painted with imulsion white paint and image size 10'5-5'' throw distance is 13' seating is at 15' to 18'.
Present component
1. Being W - 1070
2. Sony BDP- 55100
3. Asus 'O' play mini
4. Lepai - 2020A+
5. Aiwa old 30 watt speakers 2 Nos.
6. Videocon D2H HD.
As most of time the system will be used for HD movies and HD TV. In terms of % the movies will be 75 music 25 %
System in mind
Denon 1000 or 2000
Speakers
No specific idea still reading the threads over thread.
Budget -
Presently 60 K and another 40 over a period of six month. As I am in small town, there is no chance to see or demo these products, I have go to Mumbai for this. Please help me deciding HT setup.
Thanks -
Uttam

Attachments

• LINE DIAGRAM DRAWING pdf 2-page-001 (1).jpg
    LINE DIAGRAM DRAWING pdf 2-page-001 (1).jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Presently projecting on 12' wide wall painted with imulsion white paint and image size 10'5-5'' throw distance is 13' seating is at 15' to 18'.
Can you move your seating closer, like 12' from the front wall? This will allow you to take advantage of the side walls and have a more symmetrical soundstage.

@ sanjay
thanks a lot for the response. I can move seating up to 13' but in that case the present projected pic size will be ok or will have to reduce the same?

in this case then what will be the audio requirement of ht please guide

thanks
uttam

Since you're using a painted screen, you'll have to shrink the image to a comfortable size.

For audio, moving the seating away from the back wall will allow you to do a 7.1 layout, with good separation between the side and rear speakers.

Attachments

• LINE%20DIAGRAM%20DRAWING%20pdf%202-page-001%20(1).jpg
    LINE%20DIAGRAM%20DRAWING%20pdf%202-page-001%20(1).jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 98
@ sanjay
thanks a lot for detailed elaborated sketch.
the actual back wall is 3' behind the speakers positions u suggested and in between open stair case for terrace as well as ground floor. does this affect?
please now guide for the system especialy in technical terms of power ,capacity
etc to justify the volume , as i have very poor knowledge in this field. so far i acquired is only form this forum.

uttam

Hi Uttam,

As suggested, you can go for a 7.1 AVR and typically the power output per channel would be 100w RMS. Yamaha / Denon / Pioneer/Marantz would have such receivers. If you wish, you can use the 7.1 AVR as a 5.1...all depends on your choice.

Marantz is also available with 50w RMS per channel which is the slim NR series....I use the NR series and it has enough power to drive continuously good reputed satellites/Bookshelf/Towers which are rated between 30w-120w RMS. Very few AVRs have this capability.

Depending on your budget, you will need to spend for the AVR and am sure the cables / wires and possible new speakers would come in the picture. Mumbai has a lot of Home Theatre dealers who can provide all the possible demos....

if you are open to pre owned systems, why don't you check the 'For sale by owner' section or browse 'HiFi Ads'......there seems to be some real cool deals for reputed Home Theatre equipment which are being sold cheaper..this may help you in allocating suitable budget for speakers and other requirements......end of the day the choice is yours.

You can also refer to related Home Theatre posts for some more ideas....all the best

friends,
finally today i received denon x2100 w. however no speakers finalized nor auditioned so far. i want to know that whether can i test the AVR with my old two 30w aiwa speaker presently paired with lepai 20+20. is it possible or it will fry the speakers
please guide

uttam

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back