Home Theater Setup for New Home

Navkar

Hi All,

I discovered this forum while looking for home Theater. Its a dedicated room of 11"*24". The budget is 5 Lakh.
I was looking for 7.2.4 setup if possible or even lesser would do.
It been dream of my dad to watch movies in home theater.
Since, i don't have much knowledge on the same, i would request if anyone from forum could recommend us best combo of products to buy in bangalore for the given budget.
Screen, Projector, Sound system, AV receiver - please add any other items if missed which is needed in home theater system.

Glad to know that you are building it up for your Dad, welcome to HFV forum
For a 7.2.4 dedicated Room, 5 lakh seems to be low budget. You may rather want to start with a 5.1.2 with possibility of extending later and increase your budget to 6.5-7 lakh for this 5.2.4

I see you are from Bangalore, probably its better to handover the job to professionals to get this done - IMO. But I will let other experts to comment on this. There are few I know who does this job in bangalore

Hi All,

I discovered this forum while looking for home Theater. Its a dedicated room of 11"*24". The budget is 5 Lakh.
Since, i don't have much knowledge on the same, i would request if anyone from forum could recommend us best combo of products to buy in bangalore for the given budget.
Screen, Projector, Sound system, AV receiver - please add any other items if missed which is needed in home theater system.
Dali Spector series with denon 950h/ or1700 ,Benq 700 or Epson 8300 will fit in to this budget.

Hi All,

Spend a maximum of 2L on projector.

In the remaining 3L, get the AVR and speakers.

Which one to get and from where? Well, I will suggest reading the threads here. You will learn a lot and plan the spending accordingly. Don't rush. Your budget is decent. Just needs a proper plan. That's all.

Prices have skyrocketed lately. Take time, read and learn before taking the plunge. For speakers and AVR, try going used route. Good luck.

Hi All,

I think you can very well build 7.2.2 considering the below package
AVR - 1-1.25 lakhs (denon or marantz)
Projector : 60 - 80 k (1080 P)
if you can increase your budget then u can go for 4k projectors starting from 1.6 lakhs and above.
Speakers:
Sonodyne LCR (floor standers + center) will cost you max 1 Lakh
Sub (Polk /Sonodyne) : will cost you 40 to 50k (*2 -1 lakh)
i will also suggest Golden ear subs -which are cost effective and powerful. (less expensive than SVS/XTZ subs , more pricier than above subs though)

I am owning Sonodyne speakers and using it for more than 2 years and happy with it. And since these speakers are indian made their import duties are Nill ,so less price comparing to imported speakers.

Surrounds:
Sonodyne SONUS 3540 will cost you max 10 -12k per speaker. (6 * 12k) = 72K max.

Total: nearly 4.5 to 4.7 lakhs. Remaining you can spend for Screen if you want. Or you can paint your wall with Asian paint white primer and use it as screen.

Sine you are in Bangalore, try to audition speakers as much you can. Then decide. The above package i recommended based on my own experience.

Last edited:

Spend a maximum of 2L on projector.

In the remaining 3L, get the AVR and speakers.

Which one to get and from where? Well, I will suggest reading the threads here. You will learn a lot and plan the spending accordingly. Don't rush. Your budget is decent. Just needs a proper plan. That's all.

Prices have skyrocketed lately. Take time, read and learn before taking the plunge. For speakers and AVR, try going used route. Good luck.
Hi, Thanks for the response. Appreciate your help.
I did go through the threads, planned on epson 9400 or benQ-tk-850 for projector. Denon 4700 or marantz sr6015. Sound systems im not sure. Could you recommend some products based on experience in a decent budget ?

I think you can very well build 7.2.2 considering the below package
AVR - 1-1.25 lakhs (denon or marantz)
Projector : 60 - 80 k (1080 P)
if you can increase your budget then u can go for 4k projectors starting from 1.6 lakhs and above.
Speakers:
Sonodyne LCR (floor standers + center) will cost you max 1 Lakh
Sub (Polk /Sonodyne) : will cost you 40 to 50k (*2 -1 lakh)
i will also suggest Golden ear subs -which are cost effective and powerful. (less expensive than SVS/XTZ subs , more pricier than above subs though)

I am owning Sonodyne speakers and using it for more than 2 years and happy with it. And since these speakers are indian made their import duties are Nill ,so less price comparing to imported speakers.

Surrounds:
Sonodyne SONUS 3540 will cost you max 10 -12k per speaker. (6 * 12k) = 72K max.

Total: nearly 4.5 to 4.7 lakhs. Remaining you can spend for Screen if you want. Or you can paint your wall with Asian paint white primer and use it as screen.

Sine you are in Bangalore, try to audition speakers as much you can. Then decide. The above package i recommended based on my own experience.
Hey, Thanks a lot for recommendations. I'll check them out. Can you share from where did you purchase the speakers ?

Glad to know that you are building it up for your Dad, welcome to HFV forum
For a 7.2.4 dedicated Room, 5 lakh seems to be low budget. You may rather want to start with a 5.1.2 with possibility of extending later and increase your budget to 6.5-7 lakh for this 5.2.4
5 lakh for the equipment, i increase it by 1 lakh. Expense for room acoustics and seating is separate.

5 lakh for the equipment, i increase it by 1 lakh. Expense for room acoustics and seating is separate.
Thanks a lot for your recommendations, ill check them.'

Hi All,

Welcome to the world of home theatre ! You would need some modest acoustics and carpet for a suitable home theatre setup otherwise there will be a lot of sound reflections. How far would you sit, and how many rows of seats are you planning, taking the size of the room into account? As correctly suggested, speak with experts to make plans. You should definitely check out the offerings from indiqaudio as they are bangalore based and are a well regarded Indian brand. Since last year, I have been using their products, and I am extremely happy with the setup. A few months ago, they assisted one of my friend in purchasing a Marantz AVR and Optoma projector at almost 40% discount on the MRP saving him neat 60K. Bangalore has lot of options, so do not rush into purchasing anything, go slow

Last edited:
Hey, Thanks a lot for recommendations. I'll check them out. Can you share from where did you purchase the speakers ?
Check with "Tasmai automation" or "thehomecinema" Bangalore. They were dealing with Sonodyne speakers.
"thehomecinema" had dedicated demo room for Sonodyne speakers.

9400 would be the best bet if you can find one. Try the dealers in Indiamart. Check Epson India whether they will honour the warranty. They will. But still you can confirm.

I would say two decent towers and bookshelves all around. Some say towers are an overkill and they will not be used to their full potential. But your room isn't small. The towers can give you that big cinema sound in the room. Your dad will have a big bright grin on his face when the system performs.

A capable sub can be had for 50-60k. Set aside 5-10% of the total budget for acoustic treatment. That's the last thing you should do but a very important one. Don't skimp of it.

Get any 7.x AVRs from Denon or Marantz or Yamaha. But make sure the cost doesn't take a big chunk out of your budget.

And do take the help of FMs who can help you get a good deal. There are some "modest", awesome people here with quite a clout. Trust me, you'll be surprised
😍

IndiQAudio offerings are good for the asking price. I have heard them. Many satisfied customers, too. But fix an appointment and audition before taking the final call.

I haven't heard Sonodyne speakers. They are around here for decades. Must be good.

Finally, if you feel all this is daunting, hire a pro and call it a day.

But this journey is worth waiting and learning.​

9400 would be the best bet if you can find one. Try the dealers in Indiamart. Check Epson India whether they will honour the warranty. They will. But still you can confirm.

I would say two decent towers and bookshelves all around. Some say towers are an overkill and they will not be used to their full potential. But your room isn't small. The towers can give you that big cinema sound in the room. Your dad will have a big bright grin on his face when the system performs.

A capable sub can be had for 50-60k. Set aside 5-10% of the total budget for acoustic treatment. That's the last thing you should do but a very important one. Don't skimp of it.

Get any 7.x AVRs from Denon or Marantz or Yamaha. But make sure the cost doesn't take a big chunk out of your budget.

And do take the help of FMs who can help you get a good deal. There are some "modest", awesome people here with quite a clout. Trust me, you'll be surprised
😍

IndiQAudio offerings are good for the asking price. I have heard them. Many satisfied customers, too. But fix an appointment and audition before taking the final call.

I haven't heard Sonodyne speakers. They are around here for decades. Must be good.

Finally, if you feel all this is daunting, hire a pro and call it a day.

But this journey is worth waiting and learning.​
Thanks again. This will help in deciding what to buy and budgeting appropriately.

Dont waste money on tower speakers in this budget if you are after sound quality. Moreover a properly designed and calibrated setup doesnt need towers too. Use 2 capable subs min for this room. You can get good quality inwall or onwall speakers loaded on a baffle wall with acoustic transparent screen.
Also a proper design is a key by finding the best location for the seats, proper speaker locations etc apart from the acoustics. BTW, there is another killer option using Active speakers, PM me for more details.

Last edited:

@cmsajith

Could you share the active setup ideas for HT? It will help everyone.

In fact, I have been reading about them. It would be great if the discussion happens here. All of us can get better ideas.

I suggested towers since he has a large area to cover. A pair of properly crossed over efficient towers can sound fairly good in a room of that size.

His budget includes a projector, or we would have asked him to go for separates.

Could you share the active setup ideas for HT?
In this budget JBL 3 series active speakers (112w amp per speaker with balanced in) are pretty decent with good consistent directivity and good dispersion pattern. A good decent processor like AT300 is a good combo and can be accommodated in this price range for a 9.x.4 or 7.x.6 layout or start with a small layout and expand later (highly scalable). Since all speakers are same you will get a consistent sound throughout (esp for movies like Gravity where vocals move everywhere)
A pair of properly crossed over efficient towers can sound fairly good in a room of that size.
Please dont misunderstand, My comment was not against you. Its a myth that the speakers fill the room rather a good pair of subs. Any good set of mid-high freq speakers can produce decent spl at the seating locations. Below Schroeder cutoff freq the room modes determines the location of low freq and those freqs fills\pressurizes the room. The low freq sources like towers cant be placed like a speaker with mids-highs. Room modes restricts the locations. Moreover low freq can be better handled by good active subwoofers. While using an AVR, it will unload the internal amps and help in running more efficiently since low freqs takes a lot of power and can clip the amps even at decent volumes.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Hi,

Welcome to HFV.

I am sure you will find your experience here very enriching and enjoyable.

Make sure to visit the countless posts which is based on direct experience, technical knowledge and honest feedback.

Hope you have a great journey here!

All the best!

Dont waste money on tower speakers in this budget if you are after sound quality. Moreover a properly designed and calibrated setup doesnt need towers too. Use 2 capable subs min for this room. You can get good quality inwall or onwall speakers loaded on a baffle wall with acoustic transparent screen.
Also a proper design is a key by finding the best location for the seats, proper speaker locations etc apart from the acoustics. BTW, there is another killer option using Active speakers, PM me for more details.
This is a excellent reply i could see here ..

In this budget JBL 3 series active speakers (112w amp per speaker with balanced in) are pretty decent with good consistent directivity and good dispersion pattern. A good decent processor like AT300 is a good combo and can be accommodated in this price range for a 9.x.4 or 7.x.6 layout or start with a small layout and expand later (highly scalable). Since all speakers are same you will get a consistent sound throughout (esp for movies like Gravity where vocals move everywhere)

Please dont misunderstand, My comment was not against you. Its a myth that the speakers fill the room rather a good pair of subs. Any good set of mid-high freq speakers can produce decent spl at the seating locations. Below Schroeder cutoff freq the room modes determines the location of low freq and those freqs fills\pressurizes the room. The low freq sources like towers cant be placed like a speaker with mids-highs. Room modes restricts the locations. Moreover low freq can be better handled by good active subwoofers. While using an AVR, it will unload the internal amps and help in running more efficiently since low freqs takes a lot of power and can clip the amps even at decent volumes.

That's a sensible answer. Now I need to learn more about actives.

Thanks.

Thanks for your help :), i'll keep this mind.

Hi,
you have to plan for clean power supply as well.
Please add an online ups to the whole system and APC is very well known brand for this.
I recently got my PL200II subwoofer burned due to voltage fluctuation and BIC is not willing honour replacement even though its under 5 year warranty. I learned hard lesson. So pls make sure you have clean power to all this setup.
Also you can go for Microtech or Luminous Online UPS for better price compared to APC.

Hi,
you have to plan for clean power supply as well.
Please add an online ups to the whole system and APC is very well known brand for this.
I recently got my PL200II subwoofer burned due to voltage fluctuation and BIC is not willing honour replacement even though its under 5 year warranty. I learned hard lesson. So pls make sure you have clean power to all this setup.
Also you can go for Microtech or Luminous Online UPS for better price compared to APC.

For voltage fluctuations, vertex servo stabilizer is enough, use ups only for power backup.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back