Home theater setup suggestion required - TW9400?

sububack

Hello Everone, this forum seems to share a lot of insights and user experience on Home Theater setup and I looking to leverage the knowledge you all have.

Projector:
Based on my understanding and search I am kind of leaning towards Epson - TW9400, not sure if there is any quality difference if we import 6050ub pro cinema
I am looking for frequent usage (let's say ~2hr per day on average), Mostly action movies and streaming from Netflix/Prime/etc...

Streamer:
Nvidia Shield or something else? Do we have to import this or we can source it locally for a better price in India?

Room:
I am planning a dedicated room of 20 L x 14 W dimension, according to the EPSON website projector throw calculation it recommends I position the projector around 11.6ft for a 120" throw and user can view from around 12ft
I am speculating between the roll-down screen and fixed screen, any suggestions on brand/model considering quality and durability

Sound Proofing:
I wanted to work on a limited budget for this Home Theater setup and focus on prime things like Projector, AVR and Speakers, wondering if we can make the soundproofing at a lower cost, any suggestion?

AVR:
I was looking at Denon 3700 primarily for 7.2, any other suggestion you can provide on this?

Speakers:
I was initially looking at 7.2, can you suggest what would be best looking at room dimension of 20x14, I am kind of lost here with different speakers with different costs. I like more Bass

About me:
Building a new home and planned a dedicated Projector room and based out of Chennai, I am mostly looking at more reliable and fit and forget kind of devices :)

Thanks in advance for all of you

Good choice with Avr and projector. Definitely you need to invest wisely with room treatment. What is your budget for speakers and subwoofer? Give more details on room layout, MLP etc.

Hello Everone, this forum seems to share a lot of insights and user experience on Home Theater setup and I looking to leverage the knowledge you all have.

Projector:
Based on my understanding and search I am kind of leaning towards Epson - TW9400, not sure if there is any quality difference if we import 6050ub pro cinema
I am looking for frequent usage (let's say ~2hr per day on average), Mostly action movies and streaming from Netflix/Prime/etc...

Streamer:
Nvidia Shield or something else? Do we have to import this or we can source it locally for a better price in India?

Room:
I am planning a dedicated room of 20 L x 14 W dimension, according to the EPSON website projector throw calculation it recommends I position the projector around 11.6ft for a 120" throw and user can view from around 12ft
I am speculating between the roll-down screen and fixed screen, any suggestions on brand/model considering quality and durability

Sound Proofing:
I wanted to work on a limited budget for this Home Theater setup and focus on prime things like Projector, AVR and Speakers, wondering if we can make the soundproofing at a lower cost, any suggestion?

AVR:
I was looking at Denon 3700 primarily for 7.2, any other suggestion you can provide on this?

Speakers:
I was initially looking at 7.2, can you suggest what would be best looking at room dimension of 20x14, I am kind of lost here with different speakers with different costs. I like more Bass

About me:
Building a new home and planned a dedicated Projector room and based out of Chennai, I am mostly looking at more reliable and fit and forget kind of devices :)

Projector Epson 9400 is excellent
Streamer if only ott apple tv 4k is best if hdd plus ott then nvidia shield pro
Room you should get max 120" depending on your 14 feet limitation go for fixed scree elite screen 1.1 gain
Sound proofing is must as it is a dedicated room.it really makes difference.
Av r 3700 is excellent layer you can add power amp for front 3 channel
Speakers go gor either 5.2.2/4 Atmos
Or 7 .2 .2/4 Atmos minimum 2 channel required
Subwoofer you can have either one or two

Projector:

Streamer:

Room:

Sound Proofing:

AVR:

Speakers:

About me:

Buy the projector in India as you will get service if there is a problem.

I would put the projector on a shelf on the back wall. You can easily get 120".
Fixed screen is much better than roll down.
Dark colours please for the walls and flooring.

Mine is a 23.5 x 14 ft room. Projector is Epson TW8100 which sits in a box on the back wall.
Fixed screen with spandex cloth on a wood frame. Spandex is acoustically transparent and the fronts and centre are behind the screen.

Good choice with Avr and projector. Definitely you need to invest wisely with room treatment. What is your budget for speakers and subwoofer? Give more details on room layout, MLP etc.
Mostly looking at 1L for Speakers & Woofer system, the room is kind of rectangular with 14ft width and 20ft in length, 12ft height.
What's MLP? Sorry I am new

Projector Epson 9400 is excellent
Streamer if only ott apple tv 4k is best if hdd plus ott then nvidia shield pro
Room you should get max 120" depending on your 14 feet limitation go for fixed scree elite screen 1.1 gain
Sound proofing is must as it is a dedicated room.it really makes difference.
Av r 3700 is excellent layer you can add power amp for front 3 channel
Speakers go gor either 5.2.2/4 Atmos
Or 7 .2 .2/4 Atmos minimum 2 channel required
Subwoofer you can have either one or two
The amplifier and speaker selection area are where I am a little confused, I see watt per channel and impedance in ohm. The room is around 280sqft. Would love bass, again looking to complete everything under 5L (PJ + Screen + AVR + Speakers + decor + furniture)
Mostly DIY with the help of you all

I would put the projector on a shelf on the back wall. You can easily get 120".
Fixed screen is much better than roll down.
Dark colours please for the walls and flooring.

Mine is a 23.5 x 14 ft room. Projector is Epson TW8100 which sits in a box on the back wall.
Fixed screen with spandex cloth on a wood frame. Spandex is acoustically transparent and the fronts and centre are behind the screen.
I was also wondering about the desktop kind of seating for the Projector, was planning to create a concrete kind of slab around 12ft to place AVR, Projector in close proximity... with sufficient air circulation. This calculator from Epson gave me a distance of around 12ft for 120" screen

1630848078143.png

For the walls, is it good to have painting done or do we need sponge soundproofing?

I was planning some slab like this but with more air circulation: (to hold both AVR, Projector and bit more space for any Streamer).
Don't want to run HDMI all around

1630848182912.png

Mostly looking at 1L for Speakers & Woofer system, the room is kind of rectangular with 14ft width and 20ft in length, 12ft height.
What's MLP? Sorry I am new
Main listening position. 1 lakh separate for speakers and woofer or combined? If combined it’s a very tight budget. If not it’s a very good budget. Speakers you have many options for 1L. Subwoofer within 1L you don’t have to look beyond rythmik LVX12, Xtz edge 12.17 and SvsPB1000 pro. Are you planning single sub or duals?

Main listening position. 1 lakh separate for speakers and woofer or combined? If combined it’s a very tight budget. If not it’s a very good budget. Speakers you have many options for 1L. Subwoofer within 1L you don’t have to look beyond rythmik LVX12, Xtz edge 12.17 and SvsPB1000 pro. Are you planning single sub or duals?
combined 1L :), based on the situation can plan to add a dedicated one later as well... These Dedicated ones need an AMP?
Can you or someone add clarity on Speakers and Watts required for a 280sqft room?

combined 1L :), based on the situation can plan to add a dedicated one later as well... These Dedicated ones need an AMP?
Can you or someone add clarity on Speakers and Watts required for a 280sqft room?
Ok then you should look at budget brands like taga,Polk,Tangent,Eltax.Subwoofers I have suggested are active and have their own amps inbuilt but out of your budget. You have active subwoofers in the budget segment as well. For 280 sqft room you will definitely need a powerful sub but again they are expensive.Speakers rated at 150-200 is good enough for LCR and surrounds, heights rated at 100 is sufficient. Are you ok with used gears?

Projector:

Streamer:

Room:

Sound Proofing:

AVR:

Speakers:

About me:

Hi,

I am kind of in the same path as you are. Building a home now with a dedicated room of 20 x 14 ft dimension, planning to fill out atleast 12ft of that wide wall with screen, that would be a 165 inch screen. Just 1 feet buffer on both sides for the main speakers if I don't end up with an AT screen.

I have in mind the cheaper Wharfedale speakers, but would like to spend maybe 1 - 1.3 L on an SVS subwoofer. For this room dimension, I might need to go dual subs. As I have plans only for 1 row of 3 seats, I guess only 1 sub would be needed for now but a powerful one like the PB 2000 Pro (550 Watts) or stretch it by another 30k to get the SB3000 (800 Watts).

Denon X3700H is what I have decided on as well, but with its default output of 9.2 why not use the Atmos speakers in 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 config now and then later add a 2 channel amp to bring it up to 7.1.4 ? That's what I have in mind.

For the screen, I am also thinking of the DIY route of using Spandex. Not sure how feasible it is in India to get quality material.

I was also skeptical about the whole room getting acoustically treated as I got a quote of 2 lakhs just for that. I felt that these home theater dealers/installers are too lazy to go deep into finding the actual reflections and nulls in a room that they just suggest applying the whole wall with whatever material they suggest and then tune the audio later and make us buy expensive amps again. Why not just use the inexpensive panels available in market to act as sound absorbers, diffusers and bass traps...

Hi,

I am kind of in the same path as you are. Building a home now with a dedicated room of 20 x 14 ft dimension, planning to fill out atleast 12ft of that wide wall with screen, that would be a 165 inch screen. Just 1 feet buffer on both sides for the main speakers if I don't end up with an AT screen.

I have in mind the cheaper Wharfedale speakers, but would like to spend maybe 1 - 1.3 L on an SVS subwoofer. For this room dimension, I might need to go dual subs. As I have plans only for 1 row of 3 seats, I guess only 1 sub would be needed for now but a powerful one like the PB 2000 Pro (550 Watts) or stretch it by another 30k to get the SB3000 (800 Watts).

Denon X3700H is what I have decided on as well, but with its default output of 9.2 why not use the Atmos speakers in 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 config now and then later add a 2 channel amp to bring it up to 7.1.4 ? That's what I have in mind.

For the screen, I am also thinking of the DIY route of using Spandex. Not sure how feasible it is in India to get quality material.

I was also skeptical about the whole room getting acoustically treated as I got a quote of 2 lakhs just for that. I felt that these home theater dealers/installers are too lazy to go deep into finding the actual reflections and nulls in a room that they just suggest applying the whole wall with whatever material they suggest and then tune the audio later and make us buy expensive amps again. Why not just use the inexpensive panels available in market to act as sound absorbers, diffusers and bass traps...
Completely agree with the HT installers here . They are primarily looking at the "ambience" part . AV is secondary only . Also there is no MRP for these acoustic works that they do . Totally unscientific . They just cover the whole wall with absorbers . Many YouTube videos show that

Reviving this thread after a long gap (spent time and energy in construction... self-construction). Civil work is completed and did some more homework through these days on HT setup as well, please share your feedback on the below.

Room Size 12 x 20
2 - Row or Max 3 - Row seating

Projector - Epson EH-TW9400
Screen - 130"? Fixed Screen, with 12' width (Wall to wall) not sure if I can have curved screen

AVR:
DENON AVC-X3800H
MARANTZ CINEMA 50
DENON AVC-X4700H
DENON-AVR-X4800h

Center - SVS SOUND ULTRA CENTRE
Left & Right - Still Looking out (Maybe 1L budget for both)
Subwoofer - SVS SOUND PB-1000 PRO
Surround - QSC - SR-800

I am planning to start with the 5.1 setup and slowly increase to the 7.2.4 setup.

Planned a dedicated 20A circuit for Speaker, AVR, and Projector power-supply

Flooring:
Probably Plywood risers, covered with carpet (No windows in this room)

Acoustic: Looking at https://anutone.com/ and few others

I am looking to get all done by one installer if he can provide better price or purchase the products individually and get help from a pure installation service

Do share your suggestions and feedback with the plan I shared above

Last edited:
Reviving this thread after a long gap (spent time and energy in construction... self-construction). Civil work is completed and did some more homework through these days on HT setup as well, please share your feedback on the below.

Room Size 12 x 20

Screen - 130"? Fixed Screen, with 12' width (Wall to wall) not sure if I can have curved screen

AVR:
DENON AVC-X3800H
MARANTZ CINEMA 50
DENON AVC-X4700H
DENON-AVR-X4800h

Surround - QSC - SR-800

I am planning to start with the 5.1 setup and slowly increase to the 7.2.4 setup.

Flooring:

I am looking to get all done by one installer if he can provide better price or purchase the products individually and get help from a pure installation service

Exactly I am in the same boat still by civil work going on.

Planning to go for carpet in top of RCC floor, iam not going to lay any tiles. And negotiating with many installers, problem is to find a right knowledgeable one if you go for a pure professional the cost is a bomb, so I am thinking of splitting the work and giving to right guys like:
1. Dry wall and front baffle one person.
2. Acoustic panels and diffusers by someone else.
3. Cables and electrical
4. Audio equipments ( nothing to source now I have those).

Room Size 12 x 20

AVR:
DENON AVC-X3800H
MARANTZ CINEMA 50
DENON AVC-X4700H
DENON-AVR-X4800h

Surround - QSC - SR-800

Flooring:

For LCR try to go for the same brand & series......

lanned a dedicated 20A circuit for Speaker, AVR, and Projector power-supply
Ok. Possible add a servo stabilizer to protect the equipments
I am planning to start with the 5.1 setup and slowly increase to the 7.2.4 setup
Good start . if budget permits ,you can do 9.2.4 for your room size. If so provide provisions for speaker wires,later you can add it. Front wides may give a smooth transition and immersion.
Surround - QSC - SR-800
Better to stay with the same series for LCR. If budget permits ,in future you can plan for one more sub . Plan for provisions of sub cable layout accordingly.
AVR:
DENON AVC-X3800H
MARANTZ CINEMA 50
DENON AVC-X4700H
DENON-AVR-X4800h
Out of this my pick will be Marantz cinema 50 which will have option DIRAC calibration (obviously you may need to pay extra for this update) and also it has 4 subs out which may give advantage over others. You may need to check the Indian prices . I think it may cost you a bomb .
May be in future when you add up further speakers you can plan for an additional power amp for LCR atleast.
Projector selection is good . Screen shall be Fixed screen .Try the maximum size possible for your room . Stay out of curved screen for now.
Room Size 12 x 20
Good size . Better to plan max 2 rows ,not more that that .

Hope this helps.

Thanks, everyone for your feedback and input.
I did some modifications and planning to go with the below items for the Speakers

QSC SC 1120 (LCR). : https://www.qsys.com/products-solutions/loudspeakers/cinema/screen-channel/2-way-passive/sc-1120/
QSC SB 1180 (Sub-1) : https://www.qsys.com/products-solutions/loudspeakers/cinema/subwoofers/sb-series/sb-1180/
QSC SR 800 (Surround - 4) : https://www.qsys.com/products-solutions/loudspeakers/cinema/surround/sr-series/sr-800/
QSC DCA 1644 (Amp for Sub + LCR) : https://www.qsys.com/products-solutions/power-amplifiers/cinema/non-network/dca-series/dca-1644/

With that I have one unpacked SVS ultra center which I already bought, would need to post it on Classifieds

Thanks, everyone for your feedback and input.
I did some modifications and planning to go with the below items for the Speakers

QSC SC 1120 (LCR). : https://www.qsys.com/products-solutions/loudspeakers/cinema/screen-channel/2-way-passive/sc-1120/
QSC SB 1180 (Sub-1) : https://www.qsys.com/products-solutions/loudspeakers/cinema/subwoofers/sb-series/sb-1180/
QSC SR 800 (Surround - 4) : https://www.qsys.com/products-solutions/loudspeakers/cinema/surround/sr-series/sr-800/
QSC DCA 1644 (Amp for Sub + LCR) : https://www.qsys.com/products-solutions/power-amplifiers/cinema/non-network/dca-series/dca-1644/

With that I have one unpacked SVS ultra center which I already bought, would need to post it on Classifieds
Initially i also wanted to go with QSC speakers , but they don't provide any audition or Demo. Looking at their specifications i think they should sound Good also Most PVR cinemas equipped with QSC speakers i guess.

Looks like these are power hungry speakers , i hope u also considered adding Power Amplifiers in the package.

Pls Post your feedback once purchased and setup is done.
Cheers.

Initially i also wanted to go with QSC speakers , but they don't provide any audition or Demo. Looking at their specifications i think they should sound Good also Most PVR cinemas equipped with QSC speakers i guess.

Looks like these are power hungry speakers , i hope u also considered adding Power Amplifiers in the package.

Pls Post your feedback once purchased and setup is done.
Cheers.
That 18" sub is massive, DCA 1644 (4 channel) power amplifier is added to the package.
In Chennai there are few places where you can experience QSC for demo.
It might take another 2 months for me to finish the setup, shall share feedback by then

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back