Home Theather recommendations

sidsekhri

Hello friends,

I am a new timer to the world of Home Theater building as i have never done so in the past. My brother had purchased a Bose lifestyle system for his room and quite honestly i am not very impressed with BOSE.

Here is what i need your help with.

My Budget - 1.5 L - 1.75 L.
Room Size - 19 feet by 17 feet
Requirement - A traditional 5.1 setup which goes well with a LCD - screen 50" TV ( Not part of the budget)

A good AVR AMP - ( confused b/w Yamaha, Onkyo and Pioneer)

I have already gone for a demo for the B&W 685 speakers and was quite impressed. But since then i feel that there are much better bargains out in the market especially when it comes to companies like POLK Audio , KEF and Dali Ikon. I have been reading a few magazines like Whathifi etc but haven't gotten to make my mind out.

I can increase my budget a tad more if i can get a great deal out of it. Most importantly we live in India and a constantly bogged down with powercuts and power surges. I would like to secure my system with the best possible equipment there is to offer and am looking for a company which has a great after sales service network in india.

Please help!!!!!!

Warm Regards,

Sid

Welcome to the forum friend.

It would be quite essential to chalk out brands based upon your usage preferences. I mean how would you want to use the system: Primary for Movies or primary for Music. A simple example can be 70% Movies, 30% music.

So then based upon your preferences people here will be able to help you out in zeroing on certain brands and models..

Enjoy you stay here...and of course happy hunting.

-Ashish

Hello friends,

I am a new timer to the world of Home Theater building as i have never done so in the past. My brother had purchased a Bose lifestyle system for his room and quite honestly i am not very impressed with BOSE.

Here is what i need your help with.

My Budget - 1.5 L - 1.75 L.
Room Size - 19 feet by 17 feet
Requirement - A traditional 5.1 setup which goes well with a LCD - screen 50" TV ( Not part of the budget)

A good AVR AMP - ( confused b/w Yamaha, Onkyo and Pioneer)

I have already gone for a demo for the B&W 685 speakers and was quite impressed. But since then i feel that there are much better bargains out in the market especially when it comes to companies like POLK Audio , KEF and Dali Ikon. I have been reading a few magazines like Whathifi etc but haven't gotten to make my mind out.

I can increase my budget a tad more if i can get a great deal out of it. Most importantly we live in India and a constantly bogged down with powercuts and power surges. I would like to secure my system with the best possible equipment there is to offer and am looking for a company which has a great after sales service network in india.

Please help!!!!!!

Warm Regards,

Sid

:clapping: good budget.

1st step
Amp - audition Yamaha 863 (though service is bad - this hads always been my first preference for an AVR) and Onkyo 806. choice lies between two. You can also try 1909 and 606 (around 35-40k and bang for the buck)

2nd Step
Speaker - If you like Denon - then you can go for Polks TSI400 (30k pair) + center CS 20 (16k) + sourrounds TSI 200 (15 pair)+ sub PSW 125 (18k)

3rd Step
Wiring -Important and nothing less than DAC 14 AWG or Blue Jeans or Monster (if you wnat to spend a bomb here)
Interconnects - go for them - they make life convenient. Banana plugs (around 400-500 a pair bought online)

You will save some money here - invest in a nice 2 channel amp (if you go with polks - stay away from onkyo or Marantz) Get a nice warm sounding amp.

Spend the rest or save some more and get a projector (get a TV though - always needed)

PS: If music is your priority - i would suggest you build your system around an denon 1909 + Mordaun Short speaker combo + CA 2 channel amp (min 540 v2). You will like the sound.

Do audition denon + onkyo + MS speakers + Polk speakers + B&W (expensive and not VFM for my liking) before deciding.

Welcome to the forum friend.

It would be quite essential to chalk out brands based upon your usage preferences. I mean how would you want to use the system: Primary for Movies or primary for Music. A simple example can be 70% Movies, 30% music.

So then based upon your preferences people here will be able to help you out in zeroing on certain brands and models..

Enjoy you stay here...and of course happy hunting.

-Ashish

My requirement is predominately movies.....

i would say 90% movies and maybe 10 % music.... plus as i am installing this in my bed room so definitely i am going to be mostly using the system for maybe background music.

:clapping: good budget.

1st step
Amp - audition Yamaha 863 (though service is bad - this hads always been my first preference for an AVR) and Onkyo 806. choice lies between two. You can also try 1909 and 606 (around 35-40k and bang for the buck)

2nd Step
Speaker - If you like Denon - then you can go for Polks TSI400 (30k pair) + center CS 20 (16k) + sourrounds TSI 200 (15 pair)+ sub PSW 125 (18k)

3rd Step
Wiring -Important and nothing less than DAC 14 AWG or Blue Jeans or Monster (if you wnat to spend a bomb here)
Interconnects - go for them - they make life convenient. Banana plugs (around 400-500 a pair bought online)

You will save some money here - invest in a nice 2 channel amp (if you go with polks - stay away from onkyo or Marantz) Get a nice warm sounding amp.

Spend the rest or save some more and get a projector (get a TV though - always needed)

PS: If music is your priority - i would suggest you build your system around an denon 1909 + Mordaun Short speaker combo + CA 2 channel amp (min 540 v2). You will like the sound.

Do audition denon + onkyo + MS speakers + Polk speakers + B&W (expensive and not VFM for my liking) before deciding.

Firstly thanks for your thoughts.....

OK technical jargon here... what are interconnects??? what purpose do they solve???? pls explain ....

I was more thinking like the Onkyo 706 plus Polk Audio Rti series or maybe go for a KEF 5005.2 system as it add style to the room... also in consideration were the Dali Ikon and dali Lector series .... what do you thinkkkk??? my purpose is mostly for watching moviess - and maybe a bit music in a 90 / 10 ratio respectively. I haven't heard much in the forms about the Dali's..... have you heard them ???

would say 90% movies and maybe 10 % music.... plus as i am installing this in my bed room so definitely i am going to be mostly using the system for maybe background music.

If your preference is 90% for movies, the best bets would be Yamaha followed by Onkyo. Speakers are a personal choice. Once you finalise your amp, just ensure that the impedance and wattage are matched when you short-list speakers.

With regard to Interconnects please read my thread http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/2608-avr-connectivity.html where I have explained all the connections in detail.

Cheers

Last edited:
My requirement is predominately movies.....

i would say 90% movies and maybe 10 % music.... plus as i am installing this in my bed room so definitely i am going to be mostly using the system for maybe background music.

for 90% movies I would not recommend B&W. not that they are bad; you could get similar performance from many other speakers for a lesser price.

For music though its an entirely different story. Its very difficult to match their performance and they are worth every penny you pay, IMO.

Firstly thanks for your thoughts.....

OK technical jargon here... what are interconnects??? what purpose do they solve???? pls explain ....

I was more thinking like the Onkyo 706 plus Polk Audio Rti series or maybe go for a KEF 5005.2 system as it add style to the room... also in consideration were the Dali Ikon and dali Lector series .... what do you thinkkkk??? my purpose is mostly for watching moviess - and maybe a bit music in a 90 / 10 ratio respectively. I haven't heard much in the forms about the Dali's..... have you heard them ???

you are good with onkyo 706 + Polk audio rti series - good bang for the buck and keeping in mind movies to be your primary usage. While the yamaha 863 is fantastic it costs a bomb here and prices are around 70+k which is absurd.

Speaker wires are important - so spend on them.

Interconnects are something like RCA cables, HDMI cables, banana plugs and so on. Spend on them - they make a difference. Somethign like an bana plug is convenient because if you change your wires, move the hifi stuff around - the movement can put some stress on the speaker terminals if the wires are connected directly - a banana plug is purely for convenience - they do not increase SQ but make life a lot convenient.

Onkyo is 706 is a better buy than say a yamaha 663 - but thats a personal choice. the Onkyos are better in movies than yamaha which are more all round performers.

At 1.5 lac budget i would think the following would be two good options
for 5.1 system :
a) Mordaunt Short Mezzo series for floorstanders (6) and center and Mordaunt Short Aviano series sub and surrounds
b) Monitor Audios RS6 and RSLCCR for floorstanders and center resp, with bronze series for sub and surrounds

Both have v high clarity and sound reproduction without colouring in my view. Have come to this conclusion after auditioning atleast 10-12 speaker brands

cheers

for 5.1 system :
a) Mordaunt Short Mezzo series for floorstanders (6) and center and Mordaunt Short Aviano series sub and surrounds
b) Monitor Audios RS6 and RSLCCR for floorstanders and center resp, with bronze series for sub and surrounds

Both have v high clarity and sound reproduction without colouring in my view. Have come to this conclusion after auditioning atleast 10-12 speaker brands

cheers

For movie viewing
Monitor audio yes.
Mordaun Short - no

Then again why go for an overkill when you are into the 5.1/7.1 mould. Please understand that 1.5 lakhs maybe a good budget but why overspend.:p

for 5.1 system :

cheers

Firstly thanks... do you know any dealers for both these products in New Delhi... how is their after sales services... this is a crucial factor for me... how has your experience been so far? anyways regarding the Mordaunt Short speakers... well how are they priced???? Also what are diff ranges available....
what is the diff b/w the ranges in terms of premium to entry level

Firstly thanks... do you know any dealers for both these products in New Delhi... how is their after sales services... this is a crucial factor for me... how has your experience been so far? anyways regarding the Mordaunt Short speakers... well how are they priced???? Also what are diff ranges available....

well i knew the sales head for western india - i will pass on the coordinates to you - check with him for the dealers in delhi.

ms speakers are decent but are overpriced by 5k atleast for 906 and all. They go well with CA.

i will give you the info by this weekend.

Dear Sid,
In addition to all the other recommendations I request you to audition the Klipsch Reference series too.These are absolutely phenomenal speakers for movies and music alike.You can consider RF-62 and higher models for auditioning.If it's overshooting your budget you can consider the fronts(L,C,R) klipsch branded and for the rears other good brands.Klipsch surround speakers are somewhat overpriced I feel.
All Onkyo exclusive showrooms major Onkyo dealers have the Klipsch.
Onkyo India promotes Klipsch in India infact.
Klipsch speakers are extremely efficient and can be paired even with a low powered but clean AvR or stereo Integrated amps.Some people feel they are bright but they are also more detailed and clean sounding.
Most people prefer pairing the kipsch rig with a NAD ,Denon,H/K etc.
Kindly if possible do audition it and lets us know the feedback.
367x367.aspx

Happy AV hunting:)

Regards
Samuel

Mordaunt Short is available with Cambridge Audio and their distributer is in CR Park locality its FX Entertainment contact details you can find on the Cambridge audio website.Mezzo series in MS is very expensive in comparison to Polk Rti or any other Brand. When I went for speaker shopping for the Onkyo 705 Avr I did audition MS but they sounded bright to me and were also way beyond my budget if I had gone with their full 7.1 Setup which costs upwards of 200K. About the monitor audio they don't have any dealer and distributor in New delhi but their Distributor is located in Chennai i.e The Audio People but then it won't be fair to buy a product only on recommendations. For Polk you can audition their Rti line at Sound & Vision Okhla.
If possible do audition Klipch reference series which is avialable with Onkyo and their showroom is located at CR park so you can audition both MS and Klipch on the very same day.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back