Home theatre acoustics treatment setup

neo9999

Hello fellow hifivsion members,

Finally tried and tested my second home theatre set up experience.

I had posted my first setup here

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/28517-saga-my-home-theatre-build.html

which consisted of 7.1 setup and due to unavoidable circumstances I had to leave the place. It felt frustrating after spending so much time, effort and money, to think about redoing the same. But what to do, me being an ardent home setup fan I couldnt resist the temptation to set it up again. :) This time I also planned to overcome the shortcomings from previous setup.

Equipment - still the same. 7.1 speakers with fronts, center and sides from Martin Logan Motion 12 and 10 series. Surrounds - bipolar def tech. Epson 8350 projector. Grandview projector screen. Velodyne Impact 10 Sub. Denon 2112 CI AVR and finally Oppo bdp 93 as my blu ray player.

New room dimensions - 10'X11'. One window at screen end 5'X6'. Entry door opposite window at one corner.

I used banana clips for speaker connections and Audioquest Cinema series cables for speaker cables .

Biggest challenge in this setup has not been the room size limitations - this was bit smaller than previous one, but the fact was I had to redo with less budget (since I blew up a lot in first attempt).

I had to figure out way to procure material and fix it in such manner to be cost effective. Found a local acoustics dealer from whom I purchased square foam panels filled with acoustic material. If I took the wooden panels route, it would add to the budget hence I had to figure out how to fix to the wall. Finally found a solution to stick it on the walls and ceiling itself.

Now the issue with earlier place was the rockwool in the wooden panel was in contact with the cloth covering the panel, and hence was exposed to air in the room which did cause bit of irritation but diffused after sometime. So this time I took approach of using thin tissue papers, wrapped them around the panel and covered final panel with cotton cloth which has kind of satin feel to it.

I used a different color theme this time instead of the bold one which i used previously :) but overall I found this new one more sober and pleasing to the eyes.

I consulted the acoustics expert contact for placement of the foam panels but finally I used basic first reflection points using mirror technique and identifying points . Bought a good amount of the foam panels plus some amount of acoustic foams from bajaao.com. Since the foam panels were of fixed size I used the bajao.com panels at places or gaps where i could not fit the bigger panels. Also purchased bass traps from bajaao.com which I used behind two top corners opposite the fronts, plus one pair down below behind the front floor speakers. Another thing which was missed last time, was to cover the entry door (opposite my front speaker) with foam. This also adds to the absorption especially from front speakers.

Second challenge was I needed to make this a dual bedroom - one where I can use this room not only for home theatre but also in event of guests I can setup a bed for people to rest. :) I had to figure out option of seating arrangement accordingly. Finally found a foldable couch which can open up to accomodate 2-3 people . Plus this couch is made of foam so this added to the acoustics treatment.

I could not remove the window at the screen end, so I purchased thick curtains with folds to cover the window. This also would help in the absorption and diffusion process.

I reused the lights as well the floor carpet from my previous place. I plan to get a dimmer in near future for the lights.

I could also identify a spot for placing a mini book shelf which will add to the diffusion. So this would also meet my additional criteria of having a reading place. :)

I myself fixed all the panels - even ceiling too. :) The effort was indeed well worth it. When I demoed, I could feel the experience much better than previous attempt.

On some occassions the bass does feel like throbbing/vibrating a bit. I have to reduce the sub volume/crossover accordingly.

Thanks to hifivision forum and fellow members whose posts helped me also to take some decisions.

Ultimately I feel, there is no need to cover the entire room as it can sound dead. Everyone has different listening preferences. My movie/audio experience is split between 80%-20%. I have 7.1 blu rays and I wanted a setup that would utilize those mediums. Watching the opening sequence of Star Trek into darkness or the first 15 mins of Die Hard 5 is just so awesome.

Posted some pics from the new setup. Hope you like it :)

Neo

Attachments

• backside.jpg
    backside.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 82
  • ceiling.jpg
    ceiling.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 82
  • leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 80
  • rightside.jpg
    rightside.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 82
  • frontside.jpg
    frontside.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 82
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back