Home Theatre : Budget 2.5 Lakhs

sudindra

Hi,
I am a newbie to the audiophile world. Need your expert advice on buying a home theatre. Here is basic data you need to make the recommendation.

1) Room size : 10 ft x 12 ft (dedicated)
2) Mainly used for Movies & HD games (PS3)
3) Music : Rarely or never

What I need:

1) Receiver
2) LCD/Plasma Panel (37 to 42 inch)
3) Speaker package
4) The right cables
5) Budget for the above is 2.5 Lakhs

For the moment, I am not buying a DVD or Blu-ray Player (PS3 will act as one).

What I need from you experts:

1) Recommendation on the above (and if a HT In a box fits me) - please include price
2) Where can I buy your recommended products in Bangalore

Thank you,
Sudhee

Buddy

Welcome to the forum...

In your decent requirement for Rs.2.5L, you can get some pretty good options...

Video
Plasma - 42" - Panasonic/Hitachi - 82/86K...(MRP)

Dont go for LCD, as your only motive is movies...
And nothing better than Plasmas...

Amplifier
Denon - 2808 - Rs.76K MRP
Marantz - 7002 - Rs.75K MRP - Best for Music/Video Sync (DTS)...

Marantz - 7002, is a THX certified reciever, and is among the best for your setup...

Speakers
Q Acoustics - 75K - Best for Movies
Polk Audio - RTi Series - 87.5K
Mordaunt Short - Avant-i Series - 75K

I dont how many of the forum members have experienced the Q Acoustics, but as i have done that, i can say they are one among the best when movies are concerned...
I think thats the reason of it being awarded 4 Best Product Awards...

Cables
Monster Cables - Speaker - Rs.78 per mtr
QED - Speaker - Rs.150 per mtr...

Monster is VFM when the Speaker cables are concerned...
For your subwoofer cables, QED is better...

Do audition, the above, and others too, and make your choice...

The other factors

Sudhee,

Since you are having a dedicated entertainment room, which people rarely have in this country, as all of them end up making the home theatre in the living room, i congratulate you on this dedicated one.

Since your main aim is movies, i think one should forget the LCD, Plasma's, because the kind of movie presentation which a projector and screen can give, no tv, catch up to it by even 5%.

In your budget, please add the acoustic treatment cost too, as without this you will not be able to explore the full potential of your home theatre. In-fact there are other costs also there, like the sitting arrangement, etc.

Vinay.

Drop of Projector

Sudhee,

I just realized that your room length is quite small, so projector and screen will not do, so yes, you will have to go for the tv, and that reminds me that you should not go for the tower speakers, for the same reason, that your room size is small.

Indeed there will be many more good suggestions will come from other much better experienced members.

Vinay.

Last edited:
Sudhee,
i don't know much about which TV. But, allocating 1lac for TV, cables and some room treatment, I can recommend a HT for 1.5lakh
Receiver:
Mridul had recommended Marantz SR7002 but I would say Maratnz SR5002 itself is good enough. Given that you are saying almost nil music, Onkyo is said to have all bells and whistles and excels in movies. Looks like the latest series of their receivers are raved about a lot and so, I would recommend to go with an Onkyo TXSR606 for less than 40k. Other receivers : Denon AV1908, Marantz SR5002.
DVD players:
if you can import Oppo DV983H or 981H they will be the best. if not, Marantz DV6001 or Cambridge DV99 or Denon 1740
Your PS3 will be your Blu Ray player.
5.1 Packages:
vinay had correctly recommended that floor standers will be an overkill. You can go for a bookshelf 5.1's or you might consider decor friendly sub-sat combos. the bookshelf combo's will give a better quality.
For near a lakh, I would recommend:
Currently there is a 30% off deal on latest B&W if booked before July. B&W 685 A/V combo is priced for 1l instead if 1.36l by audiovision. This is a highly praised one and the price cut makes it lucrative. Probably the best currently on the touching 1lakh mark. Please note that B&W's might need a slightly beefier receiver. Monitor Audio has a bronze series BR2 which might cost around 80k.
This might be a better bet around the 75k mark. the other choices around this 75k mark are:
Epos ELS3 combo
Paradigm Atom v5 combo
PSB Alpha B1 combo
Polk Rti4 combo
As far as sub sat combo's around 1lakh here are the entries:
Quad L-ites for 80k
KEF 3005.2SE for 95k
B&W MT20 for 1l

Vinay

Due to his room size and budget, i suggested him a Plasma 42", considering his seating arrangement, @ 10fts from the screen...
Even i am a die hard fan of HT Projector, i myself got a PJTX-300 with a 120" Diagonal Dalite screen, but unfortunately its in my home town Gwalior...:(

Gopi

The reason behind suggesting him the Marantz - 7002, is that, this model is the THX certified model, as he is considering one for a dedicated HT Room, and even his budget allows the same...
Secondly i dont understand why you people recommend Onkyo so much, but the fact is its no where compared to Marantz, Denon, Cambridge Audio, NAD & Odyssey...all these other 5 has some or the other plus points than each other, but many plus points compared to Onkyo...
Its good if some one needs a budget amp, for av purpose, but its not at all a dedicated amp...
I dont want to hurt anyone's feeling, but i never understand the hype of Onkyo...

And regarding B&W, are you offering them, as they are discounted or because they are more preffered for Movies/Concerts and are more dedicated on for Low Bass Drivers that is 25-500 KHz...

Yes your suggestion, for Polk Audio - RTi series is good, as they are more dedicated on Low Bass, Mid Range, and are more preffered for movies...

Q Acoustics, tops the list, when it comes to movies, they sound fantastic under Rs.1Lac..., thats the word i use for them...
That's the only reason they are being rewarded continuously...
And here i am talking about bookshelf speakers only not floor standars...

Buddies, i really dont want to put you guyz down, so please dont take my words otherwise...

Sudhee, what Vinay has suggested for Acoustics treatement, consult him, regarding the same, as he even has done the same, in his HT Room...

Buddy, when you are going on for movies, prefer a THX certified Amp...

Then look on for some good DTS enabled demo movie cds/dvds and start auditioning speakers with that media only...
After that shortlist some speakers, and then try playing those speakers with your selected Amp...

Then it will be easy to finalise the best suitable speaker package for you...

Do that buddy, and please do update all your experiences, out here in forum, so that even we can update ourself more...

And yes keep Rs.1Lac for Plasma, Cables & Acoustic Treatement...

mridul,
You recommended 75k receiver with 75k 5.1, while I went for 40k receiver with 1lakh speakers. So, thats why I said 7002 isn't needed. Also, I am not to much for THX certification. Honestly, I have some very bad THX certified systems systems. So, didn't give much to the certification. Regarding Onkyo, I have found their HTiB's not good. But, their new range is actually getting some very good reviews across multiple magazines and have seen quite some satisfied owners. When it comes to features, definitely they are ahead of most of the receivers. My suggestion for B&W's were based on their performances. Q-Acoustics are rated good definitely as well, but if somebody has to compare Q-Acoustics 1010i vs B&W D685 you are comparing a 100pounds costing speaker to a 380pounds speaker. So, definitely Q-Acoustics is good and rated highly everywhere , but thats for 100pounds. The package infact costs 500pounds and so, if it costs 75k like you have suggested, its way overpriced. Infact Q-Acoustics older version 1010, the 5.1 costs only 300 pounds in UK. Which means they cost Rs.24k in UK. Importing it might be cheaper with taxes :) in that case.

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your responses. I will audition all the devices you have mentioned and make a decision. Feel free to add more recommendations and choices as you think. Also, can you tell me where I can buy each of these brands Bangalore ? I know about Onkyo showrooms.

Also, are you aware of any consultant expert who can help though the entire process ? He should help me buy guinine equipment at great prices and help me with wiring & installation.

Thanks,
Sudhee

Last edited:
Home Theatre Consultant

Sudhee,

In the process of making my mini theatre i came across several consultants, my experience with them were real bad, i will name a few as following.

They want me to buy all items from the shops which they suggest. (You can imagine the kind of over billing, etc, will be done. and most importantly there will be brilliant chances that they will never make you buy the right combination of the entire gear, this could be mainly because of their less knoweldge, yes they have very good knoweldge who to get the over billing done and how to take their commission in advance, even if it is in a phased manner).

For acoustic consultancy they want 20,000 bucks. (As though it is some rocket technology)

They want 15% commission for the entire project. (Double money in making, one over invoicing, and than 15%)

They claim to be professionals in setting up a home theatre. (when you ask them to show documents towards this claim, they vanish)

They claim that they have done work for some leading celebrities. (the detailing of work etc, which they suggest, I was able to find several faults, so what kind of a celebrity would get job done from them)

Indeed it is to be understood that there will be good consultants in the market, it is just that i have shared my experience.

On the other hand i strongly feel that leading members at this forum can give you some very good suggestions how to go about, and please be assured that these members suggestions, etc, will be way better than the so called consultant at the making of a home theatre.

Thank you for hearing me out.

Vinay.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your responses. I will audition all the devices you have mentioned and make a decision. Feel free to add more recommendations and choices as you think. Also, can you tell me where I can buy each of these brands Bangalore ? I know about Onkyo showrooms.

Also, are you aware of any consultant expert who can help though the entire process ? He should help me buy guinine equipment at great prices and help me with wiring & installation.

Thanks,
Sudhee

Sudhee

Consultant...???

Bro, there are hardly any consultants, and most of them sell there own products...

If you want you can meet Mr.Palani, Audio Planet, the only person, in my knowledge, who has great knowledge, and suggests the best suitable products for your needs...and never push his products, when they are not suitable...
I always consult him, for the requirements...

Anyways, it would be better, if you first audition all the stuff by yourself, and then take some advice...
Because once you will be through from audition, you will know, what actually the thing, the consultant is talking about...

Gopi

In India, 1010i is Rs.12K approx...
And i am not comparing B&W with Q Acoustics...
If i have to, then i will suggest Dali...or Focal, or something high end...

But, the case here is, the model and budget of B&W package is more when it comes to Sudhee's budget...
And in that Q Acoustics & Polk Audio - RTi series suits best...

B&W, doesnt work hard for movies, as they are more of for strings then Bass...
There low frequency, 25-500 is not that good, as there frequency from 5000 and above is...
Hear them any strings in that, they will sound much better...

Thats the reason, i am arguing in matter of speakers...

Regarding Marantz 7002, bro i am not sure, where you faced problem, with this THX certified amp...But, when i compared others in lower segment, Marantz 7002, made a lot of difference, and it was impressive...

Onkyo, as i earlier said, is more of a budget amp, than to be a dedicated or DTS enabled amp...
It is DTS i know, but there is a difference...

No Hard Points, Just Discussions, and Personal Views...
Never take all these on heart or mind or soul...LOL...

This is just, what feels great...

See what i suggested him was...::

Plasma - 42" - Hitachi/Panasonic - Rs.75-80K...
Cables - Monster - S16 - Approx. 40 mtrs - Rs.78 * 40 = Rs.3120...
Cables - Subwoofer - 2mtrs - Rs.500
Speakers Package - Q Acoustics/Polk Audio - Rs.75-80K
Amplifier - Marantz-7002 - Rs.75K
Acoustics Treatment - That Vinay will let him know...

So Total Budget Rs.2.30L + Acoustics Treatment...

mridul,
No problems with the discussions mate:
1. Marantz SR7002 - I didn't say that this amp was bad. I was saying that THX certification on a product doesnt necessarily mean better. I am very sure SR7002 is a very good amp, as I find its less costlier brothers themselves perform very well. Infact thats why I recommended SR5002
2. Regarding Onkyo, your opinion that they are not great seems to be similar to mine. But, however they are not that bad and movies are its forte. So, if somebody is inclined on movies I am sure they will be more satisfied with Onkyo. Also, regarding the number of options they give they stay ahead of the game.
3. Regarding B&W 685 - I am not sure why you say that they are out of his budget. Your recommendation of Q-Acoustics for 75k with Marantz SR7002 for 75k costs him 150k. While my recommendation of Marantz SR5002 for around 40k and B&W for 1lakh, will cost him only 140k, less than yours. Also, Q-Acoustics 1010i costs 100pounds RRP while Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 costs 180pounds and they are both priced the same in India. Why is this the case.
Regarding B&W sounding not so good because of some bass issue you are talking about I would say that atleast this is not what all the internet forums seems to say. Given that I havent heard these I can't comment further.
But, one thing I am finding common is that Q-Acoustics are known to be midrange heavy - the 25-500Hz you are talking about. If I understand home theatre setups a bit, I would prefer a less midrange heavy something stronger in the highs as well for the setup. Primarily because the centre takes the most of the load in the midrange dialogues and the lower end goes to sub, so the highs are the main for the front and rears. Also, understand that there are more than mids and highs. We need to talk about how it can show details , ambience, imaging and soundstaging.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back