Home Theatre for a small room - Pioneer VSX 832 or Marantz 1508 or Denon 1500H AVR and choice of speakers

Selvamani

Hi,
Even though I have read many threads silently, This is my first post in this forum.

Requirements:
Usage - 60: 40 (Movies: Music)
Movie Sources - Mostly Amazon Prime, Netflix, Bluray Rips. very occasionally Blurays.
Room Size - 10 x 11(ft)
Screen - Projecting on the wall where the door covers 2ft. So 120-inch upscaled projection is covered almost 7ft in the remaining 8ft wall.
Speakers Form Factor - Bcos pf the above reason, not sure whether I can accommodate the tower kind of speakers.
Budget - 50k- 60k can extend a little bit if it's really needed.

Bcos of the network facility Smart support, I have chosen Pioneer VSX 832 or Marantz 1508 or Denon 1500H models. Did some research on these models.
Apart from the common features, the models have specific pros and cons for my requirements

Pioneer 832 - 33k
Pros - Chromecast support, cheap price than Denon
Cons - Dolby support is for 3.1.2
My main question for this model is, I might extend my 5.1 to 5.1.2 after some time. So How well it can perform during that time.
Does it support Airplay?

Marantz 1508 - 34k in hifi mart
Even though Marantz generally soft and low output, I am ok with it, since the room size is small, this is more than enough.
Cons - Model suspended six months back. So not sure about the service quality. Not sure about Dolby Atmos

Denon - 1500H
I have chosen Denon 550BT earlier. But Lack of Network and Dolby Atmos made me go for this model. But this is personally too costly for my budget. So this is my last option.

I have Visited Audioholics for an audition. He has given the Demo with Marantz model with 5.1 Mission M3 + SE speakers (28k). I too haven't heard about it much, But its performance was not bad. The main thing I have liked is its form factor. Looks like, it's apt for my room size and requirements.
31Lsari1TVL.jpg

Can you guys help me to choose the correct AVR and Speakers?

Hi and welcome to HFV.
Your room size and sources are similar to mine. Any of these AVRs will do fine. I feel Marantz 1508 is a good choice even though it lacks Dolby Atmos. Model upgradation happens all the time but support for older model continues as usual.
In this small room, you won't miss much without Atmos. VSX 832 is either 3.1.2 (atmos) or 5.1 (non-atmos) depending on how you setup the speakers. Basically it is 5 channel and can't do 7.2 or 5.2.2 like 932 which is true 7 channel receiver. It does support airplay as mentioned in pioneer website.
if you wan't full dolby atmos 5.2.2 support for future proofing, you can go for 1608 or 1500 or Yamaha 585.
Wireless capability should not be a deal breaker as adding a chromecast allows wireless connections (except airplay).
For speakers, if you don't have the budget right now for bookshelves, you can start with 2 fronts and subwoofer and add the rest when budget permits. Final result will be better than satellites. However, for small room, the mission set will work fine.

Thanks for your reply.

I feel Marantz 1508 is a good choice even though it lacks Dolby Atmos. Model upgradation happens all the time but support for older model continues as usual.

Today I have visited a couple of Vendors. Most of them said Service of Marantz in Chennai is very poor. Even I too liked the Marantz model, But that's the only worrying point for me.

However, for a small room, the mission set will work fine.

Thank god. The first time, other than the Audioholics, someone else said a good thing about this piece. Most of the vendors neglected instanly.

I am yet to receive the quotes from them, as they are very busy, they might send it by today nite. But almost all vendors either increased the budget value to 1L or trying to sell their available speakers.

Volumate and Surround Swar were much better. They were at least trying to understand my requirements. But Others are not impressive.

Are u looking to invest only 60k for a HT or planning to upgrade in the future? If you have plans for upgrades in the future go for denon 1500 nd a pair of book shelf speakers along with a subwoofer. You can go for Taga harmony. The draw backs with these budget 5.1 packages is that the centre channel nd sub won’t be great which is way important for a good movie experience. If can’t stretch with ur budget you can go for Marantz nd the Taga speaker package nd sub. Getting the pioneer for Atmos is of no use cause 3.1.2 is really ain’t Atmos nd you are better off with 5.1. If Atmos is must for u then 1500 has to be the best pick among these 3.

Thanks for your Reply.

Are u looking to invest only 60k for a HT or planning to upgrade in the future?

I might upgrade to 5.1.2 after some time. But that too very least possibility. To be frank, I don't think, I will go to 7.1.2 kind in the future. All I need is a good 5.1 setup with the AVR that has the capability for controlling multi-room speakers.

Generally, I watch many Drama kind movies. So Vocals are very important for me. When I went to Audioholics I had the doubt about it's Center speaker performance. Even though it wasn't awesome, but it was not bad definitely.

If can’t stretch with ur budget you can go for Marantz nd the Taga speaker package nd sub.

Do you mean Marantz 1509 with Taga Harmony 5.0 with the sub? can you give the exact models?

So If I said, Atmos is not the primary concern for me, I might have 2 choices here.

1.Marantz + Taga + Sub (As you said)
2.Pioneer+????? (speakers yet to decide)

Am I right?

Thanks for your Reply.

I might upgrade to 5.1.2 after some time. But that too very least possibility. To be frank, I don't think, I will go to 7.1.2 kind in the future. All I need is a good 5.1 setup with the AVR that has the capability for controlling multi-room speakers.

Generally, I watch many Drama kind movies. So Vocals are very important for me. When I went to Audioholics I had the doubt about it's Center speaker performance. Even though it wasn't awesome, but it was not bad definitely.

Do you mean Marantz 1509 with Taga Harmony 5.0 with the sub? can you give the exact models?

So If I said, Atmos is not the primary concern for me, I might have 2 choices here.

1.Marantz + Taga + Sub (As you said)
2.Pioneer+????? (speakers yet to decide)

Am I right?
Yeah Marantz with Taga will be economical for you. Atmos may not be the primary concern for now but if u ever want to upgrade it will be very expensive cause u have to sell ur avr which may go for a less price nd buy another expensive avr. So if you are 100% sure u won’t be upgrading to Atmos skip 1500 else you can go for 1500 or even 1400 if old stocks are available. You will get it for a lesser price then the 1500.

In my opinion, for that room size you should stick to a 5.1 setup. Going for the Chromecast support in a receiver would be very useful to stream stuff very easily compared to other means. However, this can be accomplished easily by adding a chromecast hdmi doggle. Said that Marantz receiver + Polk TL1600 should be a good setup for your room.

MaSh

Yeah Marantz with Taga will be economical for you. Atmos may not be the primary concern for now but if u ever want to upgrade it will be very expensive cause u have to sell ur avr which may go for a less price nd buy another expensive avr. So if you are 100% sure u won’t be upgrading to Atmos skip 1500 else you can go for 1500 or even 1400 if old stocks are available. You will get it for a lesser price then the 1500.

Understood your point. But I can firmly say, I won't go for Atmos. I will be happy with the 5.1 setups.

Regarding Marantz, my main concern is their service. Cressida AV zone directly said me, we have lost the reputation bcos of Marantz. He has high values on the product. But as per him, the service is very very poor. This is what the mindset of almost all the people like Volumate, Home Solutions, I have me yesterday.

Got the quote from Surround Swar for the Monoprice speakers just now.

Monoprice 8247 5.1 - 20,000
Monoprice 10565 5.1 - 30,000

Monoprice MP65TW FL, FR- 7500
Monoprice MPC65W Center - 3750
Monoprice MP65TW RL, RR - 7500
XTZ Sub 8.17, 200W - 38000

Monoprice MP65RT FL, FR- 12500
Monoprice MPC65RT Center - 7500
Monoprice MP65RT RL,RR - 12500
XTZ Sub 8.17, 200W - 38000

*Cable charges are extra which might cost around 3500*

Need to check with these models.

Understood your point. But I can firmly say, I won't go for Atmos. I will be happy with the 5.1 setups.

Regarding Marantz, my main concern is their service. Cressida AV zone directly said me, we have lost the reputation bcos of Marantz. He has high values on the product. But as per him, the service is very very poor. This is what the mindset of almost all the people like Volumate, Home Solutions, I have me yesterday.
If 5.1 is all you want if you invest wisely you can get an amazing package. Go for denon 250bt. A good centre channel and subwoofer is a must. Yamaha sw300 rated at 250rms nd goes low till 20hz. Go to Vipul audio Chennai he will give the sub for 27k. And the avr will cost u around 30k. Taga harmony speaker package 5.0 will cost you around 20-24 k. So initially u can get a 5.0 nd later go for a sub. After sales service is something you can’t expect from any avr brands. U get only one year warranty. And for any issue after the warranty period u will be charged heavy for any brand.

Last edited:
Screen - Projecting on the wall where the door covers 2ft. So 120-inch upscaled projection is covered almost 7ft in the remaining 8ft wall.
Speakers Form Factor - Bcos pf the above reason, not sure whether I can accommodate the tower kind of speakers.

If 7ft is covered by projected image of the 8ft wall, than you have 1ft left.. Which is too less.. Try to reduce the projected image.. Say 110 inch diagonal.. This will allow you to place speakers.. Be it FS (or) BS..

Can you guys help me to choose the correct AVR and Speakers?

I would choose Pioneer here as it gives the flexibility of 3.1.2 (or) standard 5.1 layout..

My main question for this model is, I might extend my 5.1 to 5.1.2 after some time. So How well it can perform during that time.

Pioneer 832 is a 5.1 AVR.. You don't have the provision to expand from 5.1 to 5.1.2.. For that you need to choose a 7.1 AVR, which will equal to your full budget..

With speakers, you can choose Taga TAV series 5.0 package (20k) with FS.. Should help for lows in-absence of sub (For a while)..

If 5.1 is all you want if you invest wisely you can get an amazing package. Go for denon 250bt. A good centre channel and subwoofer is a must. Yamaha sw300 rated at 250rms nd goes low till 20hz. Go to Vipul audio Chennai he will give the sub for 27k. And the avr will cost u around 30k. Taga harmony speaker package 5.0 will cost you around 20-24 k. So initially u can get a 5.0 nd later go for a sub. After sales service is something you can’t expect from any avr brands. U get only one year warranty. And for any issue after the warranty period u will be charged heavy for any brand.

Sorry for the delayed response.

So I take your advise as go for Taga Harmony 5.0 speakers with Denon AVR as a first choice and Marantz 1508 as a second choice. Later I might add a nice sub.

Can you suggest me a good Bookshelf rather than FS kind in Taga, as I told earlier, it might be tough to accommodate the FS in a small available space.

I would choose Pioneer here as it gives the flexibility of 3.1.2 (or) standard 5.1 layout..

Thank you Elangoas for your reply. So let me interpret it as, If I won't go for 5.1.2 in the future, I can go for pioneer 832 model isn't it?

Pioneer 832 is a 5.1 AVR.. You don't have the provision to expand from 5.1 to 5.1.2.. For that you need to choose a 7.1 AVR, which will equal to your full budget..

With speakers, you can choose Taga TAV series 5.0 package (20k) with FS.. Should help for lows in-absence of sub (For a while)..

Can you suggest me a good Bookshelf rather than FS kind in Taga, as I told earlier, it might be tough to accommodate the FS in a small available space.

Sorry for the delayed response.

So I take your advise as go for Taga Harmony 5.0 speakers with Denon AVR as a first choice and Marantz 1508 as a second choice. Later I might add a nice sub.

Yeah as I said u need a good centre Chanel and subwoofer for a good movie experience. Good bookshelf speakers will cost more then ur budget. Taga, Boston Acoustics nd mission has book shelf speakers and centre channel speakers in your budget. Try to get matching speakers for timber matching. For subwoofer check RMS rating. 200-250 will be good and frequency response should be 25hz and if the sub can go low as 20hz it’s the best option for a movie

So let me interpret it as, If I won't go for 5.1.2 in the future, I can go for pioneer 832 model isn't it?

Yes.. Pioneer has the capability of 3.1.2, just incase you wish to try heights instead of surrounds..

The suggestion for Taga 5.0 FS package was because, it is inexpensive and you can pick a sub in near future to complete 5.1..

How much space in inches do you have beside the projected image on either sides?..

//How much space in inches do you have beside the projected image on either sides?//

Worst case scenario 1ft on both sides. That too I have to place the FL speaker close to the door region. I have attached an image for your better idea.

thumb_IMG_3463_1024.jpg

If it's FS, I can either it has to be within 3 ft or I need to place it very close to the wall one side and the door another side.

//Taga, Boston Acoustics nd mission has book shelf speakers and centre channel speakers in your budget. Try to get matching speakers for timber matching. For subwoofer check RMS rating. 200-250 will be good and frequency response should be 25hz and if the sub can go low as 20hz it’s the best option for a movie//

Let me check the models Love4Sound.

Worst case scenario 1ft on both sides. That too I have to place the FL speaker close to the door region. I have attached an image for your better idea.

View attachment 33056

If it's FS, I can either it has to be within 3 ft or I need to place it very close to the wall one side and the door another side.

The Taga FS in the 5.0 package have width of 17cm approx.. In that scenario, you should be able to accommodate them besides the projector screen.. FS depth is usually more..

I have both the Marantz NR1509 and the Denon 1500H.
The Marantz is connected to a Polk Signature S50 + S35 3.0 setup.
The Denon is connected to a 5.2.2 setup with Elac Cinema 10 + Cinema 5, and 2 subs from Emotiva and Bic.

The Marantz can definitely not go as high as the Denon in terms of sheer volume, but honestly I've only reached the limit a couple of times. The 16-17k price difference between the two is for: a) Atmos upgradeability, b) more power for the 1500h but on the flip side, the Marantz is much slimmer than the Denon. I got the NR1509 for my hall to be more discreet.

Back