HOME THEATRE IN THE BUDGET OF 90k

rajivaryan1984

Hi,

I am planning for a HT setup for my home which will be installed in a mid size room. I have been using Yamaha Receiver so far along with 5.1 channel speakers from Boston Acoustics. I am music lover and have lot of collections and equally for movies. Can you please suggest me :-

1. The Best 5.1 HT speakers I should purchase both for movies and music.

2. Is Marantz SR series alone good for both music and movies ? If yes please share which model

3. Is Marantz SR only good for music, then for movies do we need a separate AV receiver ? If yes then please suggest the best 7.1 ones and how do that integrate with Marantz ?

4. Finally, if the 7.1 receiver can be used for 5.1 for the time being and can be upgraded in the future to 7.1 whenever desired or it has to be used as 7.1 from day 1 itself,

5. A Bluray / CD / DVD player which can well integrate with Marantz

Please guide me --

Hi,

I am planning for a HT setup for my home which will be installed in a mid size room. I have been using Yamaha Receiver so far along with 5.1 channel speakers from Boston Acoustics. I am music lover and have lot of collections and equally for movies. Can you please suggest me :-

1. The Best 5.1 HT speakers I should purchase both for movies and music.

2. Is Marantz SR series alone good for both music and movies ? If yes please share which model

3. Is Marantz SR only good for music, then for movies do we need a separate AV receiver ? If yes then please suggest the best 7.1 ones and how do that integrate with Marantz ?

4. Finally, if the 7.1 receiver can be used for 5.1 for the time being and can be upgraded in the future to 7.1 whenever desired or it has to be used as 7.1 from day 1 itself,

5. A Bluray / CD / DVD player which can well integrate with Marantz

Please guide me --

Marantz is a very good avr for music and movies both. Please Note that the main difference in any setup would be speakers. Must try and get the best speakers you can in your budget. Marantz basic SR Series AVR will cost atleast 65-75k if not more. That leaves you with hardly any options for speakers in your budget.
Please post more about your current setup. Give some model numbers of Yamaha AVR and Boston Acoustics Speakers. Also mention your room dimensions as medium room can have different interpretations by different people.
If you want to enjoy your music atleast bookshelf speakers need to be bought. If you are open to buying FloorStanders that would be Great.
In your current budget with no details i would recommend
This would be 5.1
Pioneer AJ-5325XT 5.1+Denon X520BT or Yamaha RX-V379 or Marantz NR1506
Pioneer BDP-180 for bluray player.

Once you tell the model of the speakers and avr i have another option as well.
Assuming you have Yamaha RX-v375 + BA Soundware XS 5.1
You can go in for only a speaker upgrade rather than entire setup.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. just got yo know that Marantz is any time better than Pioneer and Denon any day for music and movies both and I was recommended to use Marantz sr5010. Now if that is true then I will finalize on :--

1. Marantz SR5010
2. Pioneer BDP - 180

Please guide me on the speakers as I want excellent music and movies both(Dolby Atmos enabled - If u suggest). Budget no issues , room is small medium sized room.

Also, I am planning to sell my Yamaha amp and BS XS5.1. Please suggest...

Hi

AVRs will keep changing with new features every year or at least every two years....

You need to invest in good speakers as a one time deal and should last you 5 -10 years till you decide to change them....

If budget is not an object....why don't you go window shopping and audition speakers of various types with a Marantz AVR for testing to check the performance....accordingly make a list and then start shortlisting based on performance, appearance, connectivity and budget (including after sales service).....make sure you compare all specs and decide wholistically.....there are speakers which look simple but perform well above others...

All the best

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. just got yo know that Marantz is any time better than Pioneer and Denon any day for music and movies both and I was recommended to use Marantz sr5010. Now if that is true then I will finalize on :--

1. Marantz SR5010
2. Pioneer BDP - 180

Please guide me on the speakers as I want excellent music and movies both(Dolby Atmos enabled - If u suggest). Budget no issues , room is small medium sized room.

Also, I am planning to sell my Yamaha amp and BS XS5.1. Please suggest...

You need to do a little more research. Check this website out: htstore.in
Marantz SR5010 itslef will be out of your budget. Please Note you already own decent speakers and avr and it would be wise to only change your speakers and not avr. Instead i suggest you visit some places where you can actually audition home theaters correctly.
My suggestion is to do extensive research online and start auditioning after that based on shortlist.

Think if you reuse your current avr you can spend most of the cash on the speakers which will definitely improve your listening. We tend to go out for some products based just on what we hear from others. Instead we need to actually experience the product multiple times before we make a final decision.
Just for a start please try and audition these speakers.
1. Pioneer AJ-5235XT 5.1
2. Polk TSx and RTi Series
3. Wharfedale Diamond 200 Series
4. Boston A Series
5. Sonodyne
6. Taga Platinum Series
7. Q-Acoustics 2000 Series

If you can manage to audition some of these you will get a fair idea of what you should expect after plonking around 1Lakh
Note: This is just a basic list which must be auditioned at the start and then decide depending on your budget and final requirement.

If you have decided on marantz then i think you will have to shoot your budget to a min. of 1.2-1.3Lakh to get a good setup.
I guess the same speakers if bought keeping the yamaha would not really sound too different compared to marantz. However audition is important and so is the source(Bluray or FLAC or CD-Original) not mp3 or low quality youtube videos. Most of us do view such content but then investing in such high quality equipment makes no sense if all we do is play mp3's which does not do justice to our equipment.

Last edited:
Also you should add the following speakers in your list for audition .
1.KEF Q300
2.DALI ZENSOR Series
3.ELAC B6 /5series.

Friends,

Thanks for all your suggestions. After getting inputs from all of you I have finalised Marintz 5010 and Pioneer BDP-180 for bluray player but still confused on speakers and would like to finalize with your inputs/guidance on one of the following :-

1. Boston SoundWare XS Satellite Speaker 5.1 ( Already owned by me - Should I retain the same and add 2 more for 7.1)

2. Q Acoustics 2000i Series 5.1 Cinema Pack

3. Pioneer India - AJ-5235XT | 5.1 Channel speaker package

Please confirm as for me Music and Movies both are equally important.

Looking at your initial budget, I am not sure if you are doing the right thing. How much are you getting those for and how much are you looking to spend on the speakers?

Since budget is not a constraint you can then think of going for an all new package which may end up going upwards of 1.5-2Lakh.:D
Mention your city in which you are so we can guide you to the dealers in your city. Audition the list mentioned above to which many have added some more to your list and then tell us your experience

Apart from the usual suspects like Dali, KEF, PSB, Elac, do check out the Morel Soundspots and Morel Solan. Also Canton. But please do audition before buying, preferably with a similar amp and your music.

Cinebels, Profx, Vector Systems, USK Electronics, The AudioPeople are some dealers who i had suggested to a member in hyderabad when he was buying a home theater. He finally brought home theater from htstore.in Denon+Dali zensor+Velodyne impact 10. Try visiting these places for audition.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back