Home theatre pc

Eddierockks

hi guys..i need some help from you guys regarding a HTPC that i am planning to buy. Currently, i own a :

1. samsung 32" Bordeaux Art with 1080i

2. Sony PS3

3. Samsung HT X30 5.1

4. Tata Sky

I am really confused:eek: between 2 options which are as follows:-

1. Cambridge Audio Azur 340R 5.1 + Morduant Short Premiere 5.1 speakers
26000 + 32000 = 58K

2. HTPC

Now, my budget is 60k. About the second option, i dont know what exactly to look for as i want to connect the CPU with the LCD. It would be really kind of you guys to help me out regarding the same. P.s. also lemme know about the performance of Logitech Z5500 and also if it can connect with PS3,LCD,tata sky,ipod,xbox360 n pc at the same time??

Thanks in advance!:)

2. HTPC
Now, my budget is 60k. About the second option, i dont know what exactly to look for as i want to connect the CPU with the LCD. It would be really kind of you guys to help me out regarding the same.

What you should look for is a PC with a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) that can handle HDTV and support HDMI, and 5.1 audio. A suggested PC configuration is as follows:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 4.5k
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 3k
RAM: Gskill 2X1GB DDR2 800MHz 2.5k
GPU: Gecube HD3450 256MB GDDR2 HDMI 2.8k
HDD: Western Digital 640GB SATAII 3.6k
Cabinet: Zebronics Pro Cube mATX
TV Tuner: Hauppauge PVR 150 + MCE Remote
SMPS: Corsair VX 450W 3.2k
Optical Drive: L.G. H62N 20x IDE / Samsung 203B/D 20x SATA 1.2k
Speakers: AudioEngine AE2 2.0 9k
Keyboard: Logitech Bluetooth Dinovo Ultra Flat Keyboard 3.2k
Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution 5k

These are only suggested brands and models. This is based on the AMD CPU. if you are interested in Intel, there are comparable models of Motherboard, and of course Intel's Dual Core Processor. Motherboards from Asus are good.

You can look at the specs of each item and find other brands and models. The most important are the GPU and the TV Tuner. You can also use a high end sound card, but that might increase your price.

Including the AudioEngine speakers this will cost your roughly 45,000. If you add a high end sound card, add another 10,000 for that.

Cheers

What you should look for is a PC with a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) that can handle HDTV and support HDMI, and 5.1 audio. A suggested PC configuration is as follows:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 4.5k
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 3k
RAM: Gskill 2X1GB DDR2 800MHz 2.5k
GPU: Gecube HD3450 256MB GDDR2 HDMI 2.8k
HDD: Western Digital 640GB SATAII 3.6k
Cabinet: Zebronics Pro Cube mATX
TV Tuner: Hauppauge PVR 150 + MCE Remote
SMPS: Corsair VX 450W 3.2k
Optical Drive: L.G. H62N 20x IDE / Samsung 203B/D 20x SATA 1.2k
Speakers: AudioEngine AE2 2.0 9k
Keyboard: Logitech Bluetooth Dinovo Ultra Flat Keyboard 3.2k
Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution 5k

These are only suggested brands and models. This is based on the AMD CPU. if you are interested in Intel, there are comparable models of Motherboard, and of course Intel's Dual Core Processor. Motherboards from Asus are good.

You can look at the specs of each item and find other brands and models. The most important are the GPU and the TV Tuner. You can also use a high end sound card, but that might increase your price.

Including the AudioEngine speakers this will cost your roughly 45,000. If you add a high end sound card, add another 10,000 for that.

Cheers

To reduce cost on Sound you can opt for a motherboard which has spdif pass thru port available. Thus you can plug the cpu directly to your receiver and let it take care of the decoding without spending anything extra for the Sound Card !! There are certain usb devices available which provide optical pass thru in case your onboard sound card does not have a digi out. Hope this helps !

Hey venkat can you suggest a good HTPC case for around 2-3k max. i am not interested in Silverstone etc as they are just too expensive !! I was thinking of Zebronics slim series !

Hey venkat can you suggest a good HTPC case for around 2-3k max. i am not interested in Silverstone etc as they are just too expensive !! I was thinking of Zebronics slim series !

In addition to Zebronics, take a look at Antec's Performance, Solution, or Sonata series. They look very elegant and you can models within your price range.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey Eddie,
I would recommend you to put your best money in the GPU and the sound card,as these two will be the major players in ur HTPC.
Most of the today's mid range and high end cards are HDTV capable and can very well output 1080p.
Look for the 8800 gt or gtx series from nvidia(SLI ready),even thought they are slightly expensive,they provide immense experience for gaming and movies,you can also look for equivalent ATI cards.
The soundblaster series from creative are always good for gaming and movies else if you go for a SLI pc,you will get the 7.1 audio on board.

Have Fun
Vj

Hey Eddie!!

I think a media center like the Tvix or Mxix can be a an alternative to HTPC if you don't want to surf the web.
Just buy a TVIX or Mvix and add a Tera byte of HDD. Now add everything that you have- pictures, music, movies- anything with the help of any PC.
It can be the center of your HT. Just play anything anytime without getting up from your seat. It has HDMI 1.3 and can manage 1080p. Also, it is tiny compared to a HTPC. It is portable.

Look at the websites for more details. lakozy mumbai is selling TVIX for about 28k (MRP) without HDD.
This guy here is the distributor for India:
http://www.jaymm.co.in/main.html

Here are the links to the product websites:

MvixUSA : Revolutionizing Portable Entertainment

TVIX Box Multimedia Players

Please do understand that it is not a exact replacement of your HTPC. You have to decide what you need.

Hope this helps.

hi guys..i need some help from you guys regarding a HTPC that i am planning to buy. Currently, i own a :

1. samsung 32" Bordeaux Art with 1080i

2. Sony PS3

3. Samsung HT X30 5.1

4. Tata Sky

I am really confused:eek: between 2 options which are as follows:-

1. Cambridge Audio Azur 340R 5.1 + Morduant Short Premiere 5.1 speakers
26000 + 32000 = 58K

2. HTPC

Now, my budget is 60k. About the second option, i dont know what exactly to look for as i want to connect the CPU with the LCD. It would be really kind of you guys to help me out regarding the same. P.s. also lemme know about the performance of Logitech Z5500 and also if it can connect with PS3,LCD,tata sky,ipod,xbox360 n pc at the same time??

Thanks in advance!:)

Hey Eddie,
I would recommend you to put your best money in the GPU and the sound card,as these two will be the major players in ur HTPC.
Most of the today's mid range and high end cards are HDTV capable and can very well output 1080p.
Look for the 8800 gt or gtx series from nvidia(SLI ready),even thought they are slightly expensive,they provide immense experience for gaming and movies,you can also look for equivalent ATI cards.
The soundblaster series from creative are always good for gaming and movies else if you go for a SLI pc,you will get the 7.1 audio on board.

Have Fun
Vj

To add to what vj said , it really depends upon what your primary usage will be . If it is mainly for Gaming then go for a high end graphics card like the 8800's . However if your primary usage just HD Video then you can go for lower end HD 2600 ( inbuilt uvd ) which suffices the purpose !

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back