Home Theatre requirement for around 50K Rupees

k_ajay

Hello members,

I'm currently researching for a good sounding Home Theatre package for a home I'll move into, by end of July... One of the electronic items I figured I don't have to wait the world for, is a HT package.... And I need help.

I have never purchased or used a HT package before, so kindly consider that before you gentlemen (or women) begin to pour great recommendations.

I do, though have had exposure to good car audio and have an alpine and jbl gto setup in my car in chennai... I'd wanted to actually go for Becker head unit, but turned back when i figured it costed my entire car audio budget...

Anyway, my requirements, as below. Price is set for Rs.50,000 now, but flexible by 10%, provided that 10% increase in budget is going to blow me with an additional 100% satisfaction...

1. There needs to be sound quality... I am aware that's a pretty wide open ended statement, but what I am asking for is the BEST SQ producing HT package, for that price...

2. I'm goin for a wall mountable lcd tv, so the system needs to complement it. In the sense, I'd prefer a HT package where the speakers are not too heavy to wall mount (rear speakers, if absolutely necessary, can be floor standing, unless wall mounting is not possible). Do not intend to sound funny but I don't know if I can use bookshelf speakers, as there won't be any book shelf ;)

3. I've read elsewhere on this forum that a HK 137 coupled with JBL HT 140 is one of the best setup. Is this the best available setup under 50K? How good is HK AVR 147 and SCS 200.5 a good setup for home theatre package?

Also got to see some HK 5.1 channel HT systems. Would they be good too and come under 50K rupees? Would they sound well if paired with HK 147?

4. How good are the Onkyo HT packages? There is a HT-S680 6.1 channel HT package available with them.. I think it might be available under 50K with discounts... Are there any other good Onkyo 5.1 or 6.1 HT packages, under 50K?

5. The space I am planning to install this to, is not a closed room. It's in a living space, bifuracted from the hall/dining room... The HT recommended, should be able to work well, in the open area (i may be wrong but I heard HTs work well in closed enclosures)

6. Someone in this forum suggested Marantz ER2500 as a self sustained good HT package.. Is this true, and how much does this cost? Is it available as a legal purchase in bangalore (with bill & warrangty = legal)

7. I saw some Kilpsch HT products, but I am very confused with which type of system to look at... How cheap do they come anyway? And how good is this brand?

Folks, I understand this is a lot to ask for, but that's that.. I sincerely hope you guys can help refer me to a good HT package, weather as a box package, or even IF i need to mix and match things....

Am fine with anything, as long as it's the best available sound I get to hear for that money.

Oh btw, the HT is for 70% movies and 30% music.... I'll be going for India made Norge speakers for my bedroom, exclusively for music, so no worries there....

Thanks, in advance....:)

Hi Ajay,

Hey have a similar requirement and have been looking out for a HT in that budget.
Heard JBL 260.5 + HK 137 (5.1 package is arnd 45K all cables and speaker stands included) quite ok and then also heard Denon1708 with Polk Audio (this would be appx 55K & cables extra), also Denon 1708 with Jamo speakers sounded pretty good (same price as polk audio combi), lemme know if you come across something really good in that price range and will surely keep you posted if i do.
I have a HT combi of Onkyo 705 with B&W speakers (603 series & matching surrounds and center) and tht sound quality is awesome so have limited budget for the second HT

Regards.........Sanjay

Buddies

IMO, in a budget of 50K, inclusive of a Reciever, you maynot get Package that is value for money...

An approx. budget amplifier costs you approx., Rs.25-35K, then where is the space to buy speakers...

If you are looking at something really good, then what i will suggest is,
Go for a budget amp, upto Rs.30K max...and then just go in for a pair of Bookshelf speakers, for some what 20K...

Then slowly and gradually you can go in adding speakers to complete your 5.1/7.1 HT Package...

Because once you will invest Rs.50-55K, and after couple of months you are satisfied with the performance, you may end up cursing your self...
Then probably doctors out here in forums, may need to help you...LOL... :p ...

Even though go on and have some demos, maybe you can get what you need...

Dear Ajay

If you are looking on for a Wall Mounted 5.1 Package...
Then i would suggest you to go for QAV...
They are on LCD mounted LCR (Left Center Right)...
And Two Roof Mounted Rear Speakers
And Subwoofer is also Wall Mounted...

You can even see there review in WhatHiFi this month...
They are excellent...
They sound too good...too...

Consider them, there Front LCR, stick below your LCD/Plasma size 37-50 inch...and are available in colors, and most of it you can even paint them...

Regards

Mridul

Hey Mridul,
How about the packages like HK+JBL or Denon + PolkAudio, (5.1 channel), am not sure how good they are bcoz when you hear them its like in an insulated room and they surely wont sound the same inside the house.

Since you suggest to look at book shelf with the amp and then progress onto adding the balance, seems like tht might be a better alternative istd of rushing into a HT and compromising on the quality.

Sanjay

Hey Mridul,
How about the packages like HK+JBL or Denon + PolkAudio, (5.1 channel), am not sure how good they are bcoz when you hear them its like in an insulated room and they surely wont sound the same inside the house.

Since you suggest to look at book shelf with the amp and then progress onto adding the balance, seems like tht might be a better alternative istd of rushing into a HT and compromising on the quality.

Sanjay

Sanjay

Going on with Denon 1508 and basic package of Polk Audio is as good as going in for a startup system...

Denon 1508, still sounds good, but, Monitor 50 + Monitor 20 with a basic subwoofer isnt really worth if you ask my personal suggestion...
Monitor 50 still can be considered when your main focus is only movies under your pocket...

But, starting up with a Stereo Setup with an AV Reciever, will open more options, obviously it will take some time for you to complete your package, but end of the day, you will be satisfied, on what you invested for...

Surely, the things are different in demo rooms, comparable to exact situation...
Even if you will listen to the Polk Package with AVR 1508, and if you will play light music, or some good strings, you will not find that good quality, or the original sound you are investing for...

So its better you go slowly and gradually...

Or invest about 60K, for a budget HT Package, and wait for an Reciever, but, still without amp, the things will not go smooth...

Regards

Mridul

Hey Mridul,

Thanks for your feedback, even i felt the same hearing the Denon or HK with the smaller speakers, also since i hv an onkyo 705 with B&W 603 series and matching surround nd center, the sound quality of the smaller HT packages pale in comparasion, infact am stretching the budget to 50K so i guess it would be better to go for an a/v receiver with 2 front speakers and then build on from there over a period of time.

Regards......Sanjay

My 2 cents:
ok, I have written a hugggeeee blog on my search for the same a year back:
SoundS in Music: Home Theatre Experience
Read it if you have time.

But , in short this is what I would recommend.
1. Do not expect anything great that you can sit and feel wow about in all aspects. looks, sound, cheap - you will get only two out of the three for 50k.
2. If you think in future you will be ready to spend more money definetly go for a 2 channel setup now. That way what you will end up later will be definetly better than the one now.
3. Be firm on some requirements , otherwise this can go on forever.
4. If you think it should complement your decor nicely and also fit in your living room, then Sub-Sat's will be good. But, the larger the room the tougher its an act for Sub-Sat's.

I have heard the HK+JBL combination, let me state simply they weren't good enough for shelling out the that money. You can stretch a little more and get far better product.
So, whats my suggestion, for an absolute 5.1 setup:
Sub-Sat :
1. Energy Take Classic - less than Rs.30k - Rated very highly and is priced reasonably in India
2. Diamond 9HCP - Rs.33k - Better than Energy I suppose, but needs a bigger receiver and looks aren't special. But has some upgradable path if required in future.
Bookshelves setup:
Polk Audio's Monitor 30 combo and Jamo's combo are there, but then I would definetly not call them decor friendly. Also, they are not anything special to take that leap from the above sub sat system.

Regd DVD Players:
I suppose atleast you need 6k for a Pioneer DV400. I suppose thats a good one. If you can have someone get an Oppo for you from US, thats the best you can do for around 8k.

Regd Receivers:
Its tough to get any receiver for less than 20k. Around 20-25k will be Marantz SR3001, Onkyo SR504, Denon AVR1508
So, in short it will cost you a bare minimum of = 30k + 6k + 24k = 60k.
If you strike a deal at these places you can get the package including wires for 55k I suppose.

Now, I have listened to Onkyo packages and also, Diamond 9HCP - let me say, there is simply no comparison.

I remember reading somewhere, even tin cans can do movies, its the music thats tough. Thats what I would say here, the Onkyo models I have seen will show all that sharp whiz-whooz sounds. The moment you pop a nice music track, you will not be able to continue after few mins. The best thing about JBL+HK was that the bass, it was simply very powerful and the rest just drowned. Jamo and Polk were good, but then I never felt wow and thats something that I want for 50k.

I heard Diamond 9HCP and that was something of a different league to the rest. I am not saying thats the end all, but a different league.
I haven't heard Take Classic, but then I have heard other Energy speakers and read a lot about Take. You can read how great Take series has been considered. Infact, their latest series was cut down from $1000 to $600 making them even more awesome. So, assuming a 10% discount on that 30k, at around 28k thats simply the best entry point into a 5.1. Anything less than that would be better off spent on a nice 2 channel system rather than a 5.1

Regarding Marantz Soundbar - its very costly around a lach. Also, sound bars cannot replace a 5.1 system. Its there for more of style and convenience and gives decent surround. But, thats it.

These are purely my opinion and that too after roaming around 'n' shops in multiple cities and calling so many people and reading so many sites. Feel free to let me know your thoughts.

Hello Folks,

Firstly, thanks everyone for whatever recommendations you've made.. It helps understanding from several other individuals's experiences or observations, which is why I love forums.

Ok, I'd obviously, even before coming here, made up my mind that I'm not going in for any 15K rupees HTiB setup. And I'd decided that upping the price band to 50K would be ideal. But I'm surprised that this price itself will be a compromise for a good and professional HTiB setup... WOW

Anyway, I'm flexible to do so and I've decided to check out the 2 following brands HTiB, as I'm not too good in scouting for individual components [though I'd love to do it, am unfortunately not having enough time and knowledge at hand, to do this now].

Mridul and Gopi haven't raved about the JBL & HK combi, so the disappointed me is not going for it. [disappointed, since i really like the JBL/Harmon brands]

1. Onkyo
2. Wharfedale 9.0 [If I'm not wrong, gopi recommended a diamond 9hcp, but i guess the hcp is a UK version only, according to whaferdale's website].

Wharf cause they sell in bangalore and i can audition it. I'm not sure if this Diamond 9 is going to be around my price bracket, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Apart from these 2 HTiBs, are there any Denon or Marantz HTiB setup I can audition in Bangalore? I don't happen to see a Denon India website or find a bangalore branch.

I still have time, so you guys can still help me.. or atleast save me from making a mistake. 50K is not easy money, yeah!!! :)

Ajay,
Diamond 9HCP is nothing but 9.0's for front and rears and 9cc for centre and SW150 subwoofer. Since you can audition the Wharfedale and the Onkyo's, please go ahead and do so. I am sure you will enjoy the diamonds that the little extra cash will sound worthy. But, please take your CD's and DVD's to check these. A scene from kill bill with flying arrows or gun shots will if watched in the volumes they demo, will give you a headache in 15 mins. So, watch movies like the ones you watch and listen to songs like you listen and take around 30 mins to demo alteast. An initial impression of 1 min is easy to get, its the expereinece after the 15 mins that counts. Regarding other HTiB's, I don't think there is any known Denon or Marantz HTiBs. Yamaha has some , but Onkyo is more popular. For receivers, check what receiver the place demoing the Diamond's use and are qouting, then you can see if they are ok.

Bro

appologies for not commenting on for JBL & HK, but the truth is i have not heard them much...
and as what i have experienced in the forum, everyone, who comes, in talks about them, but later on the combi is not praised enough to be bought...

So it was a bit difficult to comment on that...

Regarding the pricing of Wharfedale, they will easily go in your budget...
But, as per what i have studied them, they dont have any bipole speakers...

Why not try Mordaunt Short for BiPole speakers...???

Mridul

unleash_me, I would also definetly recommend 9.1's over 9.0 , but didn't do so, coz 9HCP with a receiver was already over his budget. In fact if you go to 9.1 as fronts, I was told that the centre was also a weak link , so an upgrade from 9.CC to 9.CS for about 7k more might be required :)

mridul,
diamond 9dfs is there as well. but for entry level and a non dedicated room HT would be better off to go for a direct radiating speaker than a dipole in my opinion.

ajay,
sorry mate to disappoint you with JBL and HK. I really wanted to like HK, coz the look was so cool. Probably one of the best looking receivers for sure. Actually, HK is not the weak link. they are defiently good, but overpriced for what it is. Actually, they are quite a lot overpriced in india. As far as JBL goes, I would say they really produce some very nice bass. Most of the entry systems either go for thunderous bass or underplay safely, but have seen JBL to have a quite nice one in that way. but, thats about it. Infact, I did enquire about the subwoofer alone for buying , but then anyway, like most of the people here do, moved from HT to 2 channel.

unleash_me, I would also definetly recommend 9.1's over 9.0 , but didn't do so, coz 9HCP with a receiver was already over his budget. In fact if you go to 9.1 as fronts, I was told that the centre was also a weak link , so an upgrade from 9.CC to 9.CS for about 7k more might be required :)

On the spot! Gopi. Got carried away:rolleyes:

Gopi, Mridul

Plz don't be sorry for not commenting on HK+JBL. Don't worry about it.. It's not a must have for me, or anything of that sort. It's just a brand I fancy.. But not worth is not worth, whichever way you see it.

I hadn't had the change to go check Wharferdale this weekend since my folks just returned yest evening, and didn't get much time. I won't be able to do it next weekend either, since am travelling. Maybe the 3rd week should be a good time to check wharfedale out. If its within 40-50K, and it sounds fantastic, then thats what i am getting.

I have a question, though. Does the Wharfedale 9chp [or whatever the kit is called], come with packaged DVD player [like Onkyo], or does it cost that much without it? :p

If not, then which DVD player should I go for, which I can buy in India. Please do not suggest 'Oppo' [haven't heard that name ever before] or anything else that [should be sourced from some cousin I haven't talked to in ages], from US or Singapore... Just a good DVD player, that plays DIVX and whatever other new formats it can, under 8-10K [i reckon that is a good enough budget for a standalone DVD player, so don't push me to scale up further] ;)

Alright guys. Your suggestions are much appreciated. Helps enormously. Before this, i'd never heard of Wharfedale, in my life... I did know Denon, Polk, Nakamichi, B&W and more though... It's cool to know..

Thank e
AK

Ajay,
Diamond 9hcp is just 5.1 speaker package. You need to buy a receiver and a DVD player seperately. For around 8-10k a player that does all would be the following 2 as per me:
1. Pioneer 600AV for 9k
2. Cambridge Audio DV 89 for 8k or DV99 for less than 12k. Internet forums unofficially suggest that these players share their board with Oppo. They get most of the things from Oppo and do the rest by themselves. They have been rated pretty good.

Gopi,

Where do you think I can get Pioneer 600AV [or] Cambridge Audio DV 89 in Bangalore? Is a purchase with B&W available here? If yes, I'd be interested to look at them, if they're available for 8-9k.

Gopi/Mridul/Others,

Alternatively, what are your comments on samsung and sony dvd players that are available in the market for price range 4k-8k? Are these good ones too? I need to consider them too if my HT package goes budget... Keeping a plan B, you see....

Also, who has used/heard or tried Yamaha HTiB YHT-195? Are Yamaha HTiBs available for purchase [with B&W] in B'lore? If yes, which Yamaha HT package is good, under 40K or 50K?

Please suggest/keep your recommendations pouring. Thanks again folks.

Ajay,
I am based out of Hyd and so, can't help you out on places in bangalore. But, just surfing on net should help you. Call the dealers and they will point you right people. Regarding B&W, I am not really sure why you are interested on them now, the reason simply because their current entry level A/V costs 1 lakh. So, I suppose they are way out of budget. Regarding DVD players, I had a Philips model which did really good and was better than a similar priced Sony. I suppose there are some good models in this price range. I was personally suggested Pioneer 400AV for 6k which will be a good entry point.

Gopi,

Where do you think I can get Pioneer 600AV [or] Cambridge Audio DV 89 in Bangalore? Is a purchase with B&W available here? If yes, I'd be interested to look at them, if they're available for 8-9k.

Gopi/Mridul/Others,

Alternatively, what are your comments on samsung and sony dvd players that are available in the market for price range 4k-8k? Are these good ones too? I need to consider them too if my HT package goes budget... Keeping a plan B, you see....

Also, who has used/heard or tried Yamaha HTiB YHT-195? Are Yamaha HTiBs available for purchase [with B&W] in B'lore? If yes, which Yamaha HT package is good, under 40K or 50K?

Please suggest/keep your recommendations pouring. Thanks again folks.

Ajay

when you are going for a HT setup, why you wanna pick something from startup range like Sony or something...
Go for Pioneer, best deal or Cambridge Audio, second best deal...

Gopi

Does Wharfedale 9chp a bookshelf 5.1 package, or it even have floor standers...

Ajay

Do you want to have only bookshelf speakers or even floor standers...
And what amp did you landup with...???

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back