Home theatre setup placement and room acoustics

Neo,

I prefer a ceiling mount for the simple reason that it looks classy in it's hanging position and if one has a projector lift then what else can one ask for.

In-fact i have a rare and beautiful imported lights which are in hanging position as per video and photo's of my Mini Theatre.

V

Vinay, Aloklala, do you mind sharing reason why you suggest doing a wall mount or ceiling mount? wouldnt a glass stand suffice? is there any risk from heat dissipation or ventilation perspective?

thanks for inputs..

I had a technician visit my room for acoustics suggestions and he mentioned using planking or framed panels on 2 side walls with acoustics sheets. He even suggested treating the ceiling, to my extreme surprise !!!

The big blow came when he told me overall quotation - 1.5 to 2 lacs :sad:...unfortunately my budget is tight at this moment with my house furnishing in parallel. So i've asked him to provide some smaller suggestions which can help in improving acoustics as well as not make a hole in my bank balance :D ...

Vinay - ur Home theatre with the mechanism of projectors, is a dream theatre :)..wish I had the budget and time to achieve even half of what u've done..it def looks classy...

Hi folks,

I've decided to go with ceiling mount finally :) and cancel the glass shelf.....will get the mount kit and get it fixed sometime next week.

Selected the screen, going in for Liberty Grandview 7'X5' , around 110" diag.

Thanks Aloklala for sharing your inputs during our chat. It was really nice talking to you. :)

Due to budget contraints :sad:, I've decided to go in for acoustic foam on wooden panels. Atleast for two side walls. I was wanting to do it on ceiling too but its crossing budget. Just for two side walls panelling, totalling to roughly 148 sq. ft, I got an initial quote of around 45K from the carpenter. Let's see if I can find some other options for ceiling.

But biggest challenge is, for past 24 hrs, I've not been able to locate any contact in Pune that sells acoustic foams - those that have one side wavy/conical and other side flat.

If anyone knows any contact in Pune/Mumbai, would really appreciate if you could share the contact.

Will post updates soon.

The black acoustic foam is used in generator casings etc. and is not very good looking! i have not heard of any other kind of acoustic foam than the one side flat and other side conical or wavy. What are you expecting?

Cost of cloth paneling with glasswool:

Glasswool (32 density, 50 mm thick) + Tissue (48 gsm) + wood for frames + Nails, Fevicol etc. + Canvas + Foam (32 density, 25 mm thick) + Carpenter Cost + Contingency or extra cost = 17+1+20+5+2+9+8+90+48 = Rs 200/- per Sq ft.

Total area is about 150 sq ft and so the Cost should be around Rs 30,000/-! It will also look good.

Last edited:
Hi alok,

I've attached a pic of the foam I was referring to. I meant to say pyramid shape :) instead of conical. So one side pyramid and other side flat.

In the below calculations, is the cloth (covering the panel) also considered? these rates are too good,and I envy you getting at these rates :)...unfortunately alok, in Pune, prices have skyrocketed..i can never find a ply at 20 Rs/sq ft in Pune, as I understand from below rates...

Not getting any glass wool contact in Pune. Will try calling Twiga today.

Attachments

• Acoustic-PU-Foam.jpg
    Acoustic-PU-Foam.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 125
Neo,

I was referring to this foam only and I have seen it at a dealer in Noida. They have made a Car Noise testing chamber for GM in Greater Noida using this kind of foam.

You do not need to put ply on walls and so the cost of ply (Rs. 20 psft) is not what I meant. I was referring to the wood (Canadian Pine and/or Marandi) that you require to get the frames made. Low quality 4 or 6 mm ply can be purchased at Rs. 20-30 per sq ft also though.

Yes the cloth is considered. Cloth can be bought as low as Rs. 150/- per meter with a width of approx 52 inches. Appropriately good quality cloth can be purchased at 250-300 also.
Mine's is a designer cloth and costed approx Rs. 200/- per meter, but I got it from the factory as a relative of mine knew those guys. The one I used sells for Rs. 800-1000/- per meter in top end shops in Delhi/Mumbai.

Hi,

After much deliberation, research, etc, decided to go in for rockwool. Will be having frames on most portions of walls filled with rockwool. Couldnt find pinewood matching the size specifications required for the frame, so going in for salwood option.

One thing that didn't cross my mind earlier was, if I put carpet on the floor wall to wall, the entry door needs to be shortened.

Has anyone done the same while placing carpet on the floor.

Hi friends,

My home theatre room is nearly 90% setup. Tried setting up the projector and screen. When I connected the Epson 8350 projector directly to the mains, and it worked, I breathed a sigh of relief.:)

The image thrown with the bd disc, looked fantastic, only thing its not zooming out to fill up the screen. I need to figure how to zoom the image. Its currently showing around 50" size.

Next step is to setup the other components - speakers especially. Which I hope to complete by early next week.

Neo

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back