Home theatre syetems

pksnathan

Dear friends,
I am planning to buy a home theater system for my home.The dimension of the room is 12'x18'.I solicit our forum members to please suggest a suitable system for my home.My budget is Rs.15000/.
Thanking you,
pksnathan

For that budget (rather a little bit more) you should get an entry level system from Onkyo, Philips. Yamaha too, but starting around 25K or so.

Dear friends,
I am planning to buy a home theater system for my home.The dimension of the room is 12'x18'.I solicit our forum members to please suggest a suitable system for my home.My budget is Rs.15000/.
Thanking you,
pksnathan

Dear Friend,

Your Budget is very low. So, can't go for a branded items (THX). Assembled system comes around your budget.

Regards,
J.S.Saravanan

My advice, stretch by 5k and get a Philips 4750 or 3569. They have DTS and Dolby and very good sound clarity. You will be happy for next 5 yrs.

Philips - DVD home theater system HTS3569/98 - 5.1 Home theater systems - Home theatre - Sound and vision

Dont spend 15k now and by a low end bcos you will feel bad in just 1 year. I bought the Philips 4750 3 yrs back thinking I will use for one year and then move it to my bedroom and then buy a very good system later. Now, I dont even have that thought as I am more than satisfied with the performance and the sound clarity (in my opinion even low end Onkyo doesnt match the VFM)

As my next house kid says "Earthquake comes only from my house " :cool:

Sir,
I thank you for your guidance and suggestion.I shall get in touch with Philips and have a demo on this system.
Sincerely,
pksnathan

Dear friends,
Thanking you,
pksnathan

Onkyo 3100 was for 19k with DVDp free.

My 2 cents on this would be to stretch your budget a bit and go for a component based system i.e. separates. When you have a separates based system i.e. AVR, DVD player & Speaker system are different entities connected to form the whole system then the path for upgradation in the future would be easy.
:)

My 2 cents on this would be to stretch your budget a bit and go for a component based system i.e. separates. When you have a separates based system i.e. AVR, DVD player & Speaker system are different entities connected to form the whole system then the path for upgradation in the future would be easy.
:)

Not really, Have been through that for last 9 years. When you buy a basic version of the receiver etc, up gradation is a joke as you can't get anything to make it better due to change in tech etc. For example, there is no point in going for a better speaker as your receiver is still the same old basic stuff. So if you upgrade your receiver then u have to change your speaker etc which means the entire system.

If one is looking for upgrades, then the more practical route is invest on a very good receiver which would at least give us 3-4 years in terms of technology (for now lets say a Tru HD compatible receiver) and a good pair of bookshelf speakers. Then slowly build the system in time.

Saying buy a low end setup and then later upgrade does not really make it practical as lot of newbies think that's the route (including me 9 yrs back) and they jump in without knowing what this upgrade means or the cost of it or what should be the ideal plan to upgrade (i aint being argumentative but talking from experience of having done it twice in past and ending changing the entire system )

I also suggest, people who are on budget and want a home theater system and aint looking at audiophile standards should go for a HTiB as its pure VFM and my personal experience and some our friends have clearly made Philips 4750 a winner when compared to Onkyo etc low end models at 60% the cost.

So my two paise, if you are in upgrade path forget the low end version, research well, understand your audio needs, put a plan in place and then invest in a good receiver which is the nucleus and then go on the upgrade path slowly rather then buying a low end system. Sometimes its frustrating though :)

Not really, Have been through that for last 9 years. When you buy a basic version of the receiver etc, up gradation is a joke as you can't get anything to make it better due to change in tech etc. For example, there is no point in going for a better speaker as your receiver is still the same old basic stuff. So if you upgrade your receiver then u have to change your speaker etc which means the entire system.

While I understand where you are coming from on this, what you state is not true. The so called "basic" receivers can be used for many many years if you buy decently priced ones even without support for HD audio or the fancy connector options. This is the reason there is still a large choice for such receivers. Otherwise they would be out of style many years ago.

Are you telling me that component video will be gone in the next 3-5 yrs? I will take up a bet on that with you :)

Are you saying 1080P programming will be affordable and widely available in the next 3-5 yrs? Probably not. I will still take a bet with you on that :) :)

Also, you can change the receivers without even changing your speakers. As you know receivers are laid back or forward and there are options in either camp. I know of no receivers that are neutral unless you go very high end which most of us don't. Actually a bit of distortion is better sounding than not in most cases, anyway thats another conversation.

If one is looking for upgrades, then the more practical route is invest on a very good receiver which would at least give us 3-4 years in terms of technology (for now lets say a Tru HD compatible receiver) and a good pair of bookshelf speakers. Then slowly build the system in time.

I agree with stepwise development of a system but you could do that with mid priced components and get tons of enjoyment/satisfaction or whatever you are looking for.

Saying buy a low end setup and then later upgrade does not really make it practical as lot of newbies think that's the route (including me 9 yrs back) and they jump in without knowing what this upgrade means or the cost of it or what should be the ideal plan to upgrade (i aint being argumentative but talking from experience of having done it twice in past and ending changing the entire system )

I also suggest, people who are on budget and want a home theater system and aint looking at audiophile standards should go for a HTiB as its pure VFM and my personal experience and some our friends have clearly made Philips 4750 a winner when compared to Onkyo etc low end models at 60% the cost.

So my two paise, if you are in upgrade path forget the low end version, research well, understand your audio needs, put a plan in place and then invest in a good receiver which is the nucleus and then go on the upgrade path slowly rather then buying a low end system. Sometimes its frustrating though :)

Most often than not separates sound better than HTiB's even with satellite speakers. I still use my Athena satellites from 8 yrs ago with my PC driven by my original stereo receiver and they were not priced high even then. Bottom line, I agree with your direction of working with a budget but other comments need more facts.

Mars,
Absolutely I am agreement with what you stated. But understand something, what you stated comes from experience and learning it hand-in-hand and having failed and learn again right?

What I shared was purely from a practical perceptive of what I have seen. My straight point is this, just suggesting a low end one is not the right way. All I want is people to understand it aint a direct solution.

I have seen many of my friends jump at Onkyo deals and then later crib this is not what they want nor do they understand building a home theatre is not cheap.

Yes, your point of receiver changing with same speakers also work but involved good planning upfront. COmponent wont go away not is Tru HD a requirement its an option if you are future focused.

All I said if budget is low, my take is HTiB provides best VFM as it gives the wow sound factor for a low cost. If your budget is low now and you want to build slowly then I wouldn't stick to HTiB.

The main problem with HTiB in my opinion is the DVD player part. Couple of years back Divx and USB was not even an option for DVD player. If you buy a HTiB with Divx and USB and after 1 year when Blu-ray or any other format become more successful you wouldn't find yourself in a good position for an upgrade.
This again depends on whether HTiB allows connecting an external DVD player. Also, if you later buy a gaming console or anything similar, then again the HTiB connectivity would be a factor.

Probably should consider these before finalising on a HTiB.

Sankar

Sank,
This hold good for you receiver also.

Now I have a Philips 4750. I have a PS2 connected to the HTib Via Optical, a WD TV connected to it via Optical.

My friend who has a old HTiB bought a new DVD player, connected the HDMI to TV and digital audio out from the DVD player to his old HTiB and the setup is complete. So the DVDP sends the upscaled picture to the TV directly and send the Dolby Audio to the HTiB. Cost of upgrade was the Oppo DVDP.

So, I wont say upgrade is a problem BUT it is not that convinient.

For example, when I want my PS2 sound to come, I disconnect the WD TV optical and connect my PS2 optical so that is inconvenient.

I agree. As long as there is an option to plug in a new DVDP, it should be fine. But I have seen few HTiB specs where there are no external aduio input option. So I just wanted to bring that issue to notice.

But AVRs comes with multiple input option, so that should take care of any such upgrade or inconvenience in the future.

Sankar

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back