Home theatre wiring through false ceiling

W.r.t the final wiring, you may want to consider wall plates and connect the speakers via the wall plates, instead of having long runs all the way to the speakers.

I agree. I'll most probably buy a HTIB after doing some basic research. Assuming this, could you suggest what wires I should buy now? Specs like type, gauge, even brand, etc. I had a feeling that the wires that come with the HTIB would be the best to go with rest of the equipment, but if that doesn't matter and if I can buy something good right away, please suggest.

Also, is a normal HTIB (in the range of say 40 to 50K) considered good enough? I know this is subjective, but all I'm looking for is some crisp & clear sound with deep bass and something that goes well with both movies & music.

Thanks

If HTIB (or similar AVR + speakers) is all you are planning, you just need to wire for the speakers. If you are planning more than than (networking, streaming, projector etc), then cabling for that would be additional. Gauge would depend on how long the cable runs are, but for an 'average' place, 16 gauge will be quite sufficient, 14 if you wanna get real picky (but you really dont need 14 if you are talking about HTIB kind speakers). Don't know of brands available in India, so perhaps someone else can provide that info or search here for prior posts.

As others indicated, HTIB are great for folks who just want a single box purchase and cannot be bothered by listening to different speakers and trying to get (much) better sound that they will really enjoy at the same price. Nothing wrong with the approach if that's what you want. But you will (almost) never get a vote for an HTIB in forums such as this, as you can get much better sound from AVR + speakers in similar range.

Sarge is on the spot. You can easily get reasonably decent wire, all you need to do is to go to a couple of electrical shops and enquire.

I suspect that the HTIB solution is a reasonably decent starting point, and may suit many people who may not have the resources, time or space to go the AVR route. Upgrading later is always an option.

Whatever you plan for now, and even if you think that you are installing all you are ever going to install, include extra string/wire to pull-through new stuff in the future.

It is a simple and cheap insurance policy against change, even if you don't foresee change, and even if it doesn't happen.

I've only had a house re-wired for electricity once. If there ever is another time, I'll remember my mistakes. For a start, I'll be specifying over-size conduit, over-size cable, and inclusion of those strings. With cabling of any kind, it is easy to do stuff, or leave the possibility of doing stuff, at the beginning, and much harder to do so later.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back