How a scratchy Angel LP's Plays better?

jmascreen

I am in a big dilemma, of late I picked a Angel LP (3AEX 5199 Various Marathi Film Songs). The physical condition was so bad wont even rate it as poor, however I tried to play it and found very less surface noise and some skips. It sounded much better than any of the later editions of LP.
So wanted to know what is the secret behind it?

From personal experience I have also come across this. Some LPs look scratched and play amazingly well with hardly any surface noise. Probably the scratches are just on the surface and the stylus glides below them (I use a very basic conical stylus, not a microline)

Scratchy looks but lesser surface noise indicate no deep damage in the groove. I also found a few vinyl with poor look, thus bargained to get at lower prices. My wrong impression proved to be wrong while I played them. The contra scenario had also occurred- a shiny vinyl played noisy. Later I heard about the chemical treatment as a make up to transform a poor look to bright shiny- resulting to ultimate styli damage at user's end. I was trained to look for any black colour smeared at the spindle to identify such vinyls.

Sourav

Later I heard about the chemical treatment as a make up to transform a poor look to bright shiny- resulting to ultimate styli damage at user's end. I was trained to look for any black colour smeared at the spindle to identify such vinyls.
Please post photos or description for guidance, thanks

Scratchy looks but lesser surface noise indicate no deep damage in the groove. I also found a few vinyl with poor look, thus bargained to get at lower prices. My wrong impression proved to be wrong while I played them. The contra scenario had also occurred- a shiny vinyl played noisy. Later I heard about the chemical treatment as a make up to transform a poor look to bright shiny- resulting to ultimate styli damage at user's end. I was trained to look for any black colour smeared at the spindle to identify such vinyls.

Sourav
Off the late even I heard the chemical treatment process, need some pointers on how to identify it.

There has been a case with a friend. He received a shiny LP which was emitting strong boot polish fumes.

Figures.

Also LPs are rubbed with fine grit sandpapers to shine them and remove the surface marks n finer hairline scratches, typically a practice in north specially by Meerut sellers.

One friend has a LP which is ligher and thinner compared to same LP and the SQ is also supressed, supposedly a sandpaper polished LP.

Dangerous tactics which can destroy a styli.

There has been a case with a friend. He received a shiny LP which was emitting strong boot polish fumes.

Figures.

Also LPs are rubbed with fine grit sandpapers to shine them and remove the surface marks n finer hairline scratches, typically a practice in north specially by Meerut sellers.

One friend has a LP which is ligher and thinner compared to same LP and the SQ is also supressed, supposedly a sandpaper polished LP.

Dangerous tactics which can destroy a styli.
Thats very true. Somebody in Noida warned me about sellers from Meerut. They are world famous for polishing/sanding the rare records from 60s. Buyers from abroad are their main target. Obviously, if someone can play and check, record plays like a cracker.

Friends, you can never judge a record by its looks. It's very deceiving. Some records which look worn-out and scratchy can sound better than another which looks mint. It will all depend on many factors like number of pressings, how it was previously used as well as the label. I play scratchy records on good ceramic cartridge with matching pre. You can hardly make out the difference and funnily, most records sound similar on ceramic irrespective of pressings or quality of records though you have to compromise on quality.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back