How can I use surround headphones with a Denon?

krumbs

Hi folks,
Have been trying to figure this one for some time now.
1] I have the Sony MDR DS7000 surround headphones, which have optical input and process 7.1 signals. they work pretty good with games and DTS music.
2] i have a Denon 3310 outputting in 7.1 speaker config. Various media/ audio sources are connected to it through a combination of component+optical and hdmi inputs.
3] I am trying to figure out a way by which i can choose where to send the Denon's audio output. Either to the speakers or to the headphones. During the day, i could use the speakers. Late night, switch over to the surround headphones.
The limitations i am facing are:
- Audio inputted over HDMI is NOT routed to the Denon's optical output
- Audio inputted over optical connectors is NOT routed to the HDMI output.
So there is no SINGLE point where I can tap into the outgoing audio from all connected sources and redirect it the headphones.

The only common 'meeting point' seems to be the speaker posts.
- Is there some way I can put a passthrough/ splitter which takes the inputs from the 7.1 speaker bindings and passes it on untouched to the speakers, but also has a switch that can redirect the audio to an analog to digital audio converter?
- Or, can I use the preouts simultaneously with the speakers? So, without disturbing the existing speakers setup, i could take the preouts signal, feed it to an analog to optical converter and hook the headphones to it...

In a nutshell, I need a way to flip between the speakers output and a 7.1 digital output for the headphones. And it needs to work for all sources - HDMI audio plus optical/ spdif audio.
Thanks!

Back