How good or bad are plastic sleeves for disc storage

Naturelover

Staff member
I have a few CDs and DVDs, mostly home videos and pics burned on my PC, which I store in plastic sleeves, individual and CD wallet.

I have noticed that the discs have developed minor scratch like marks. These, I feel could be attributed to the sleeves, isn't it?
Now, can these marks render the discs unplayable at some point of time?

Is it inadvisable to use such storage for optical discs?

I prefer storing CDs in jewel cases. There's no contact of anything with the playing surface and this makes me feel comfortable.

Anything other than a jewel case is a compromise.

People fight wars over accessories, but forget the basics. That's treating 'the source' with respect.

Develop a good hifi lover's habit. Store your CDs in jewel cases. Pop them out carefully. Place them in carefully.

Plastic sleeves, even the ones lined with felt-like fabric, will scratch the CD surface. Jewel cases are designed to avoid scratches. They're really the best.

CD/DVD Wallets too are good... ensure they are of a high quality with soft surface. I have DVDs and backups dating a few years (7-8) stored in CD wallets that work fine even today.

If one is going to use the media quite often, its a good idea avoid any physical contact. I use Jewel cases for DVDs that contains family videos/photos and use Wallets for storing data back-up/softwares which i use rarely - may be once in a year or two.

Just a pointer ..... The Clear side of the CD which gets scratched does NOT carry the data.

The Data infact resides as a layer immediately Below the CD Label !

Hence more damage is caused by coorosive ink used in writing ....

As long as the scratches on the Clear face of the CD are minor, there is no reason for concern......

Hence more damage is caused by coorosive ink used in writing ....

OMG, is that so? Are all marker inks corrosive? I use a Camlin CD-OHP CD marker pen. Is that good? It says "SOC free" and "Complies with European standard EN71-3". SOC apparently would refer to Substance of Concern and 71-3 relates to safety of toys with respect to chemicals.
This is worrying.

I just want to point an occurrence, This was an incident 4-5 years ago, I used to store disc in jewel case, may be I tried to use it after a period of 6 months, I found that the inner platform (i.e. where the placed CD gets tucked) of the jewel case, was a discolored, when I tried to wipe it out, it was clear moisture, which I had to wipe by a cloth. AMOF, I was surprised how the moisture got accumulated. This happened in 3-4 cases. Also let me point out, that happened only a particular type of jewel case.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back