How important is driver size vs interior space.

hifitoaster

there are 2 cars at home a figo and an i20. We moved the same speakers from i20 (polk db 6501/651) to a figo, with proper dampening on both cars and the difference was day and night. While the wider interior of i20 sounded spacious, in figo it sounded very conjested and separation wasn't as good as the i20. In the i20, the speakers were powerd by stock, in figo a kenwood with 4v pre out and paramteric eq with a focal amp. Whatever settings tried, it isn't as smooth as the i20. This is the conclusion I came up with, the stocks on Ford was 5 x8 for a reason. When we added a larger speaker thr sound objects became larger which in that small space became conjested sounding. May be next time if someone is working on smaller cars consider smaller drivers like 5,25 instead of 6.5. If anybody has experienced similar, then comment here!

there are 2 cars at home a figo and an i20. We moved the same speakers from i20 (polk db 6501/651) to a figo, with proper dampening on both cars and the difference was day and night. While the wider interior of i20 sounded spacious, in figo it sounded very conjested and separation wasn't as good as the i20. In the i20, the speakers were powerd by stock, in figo a kenwood with 4v pre out and paramteric eq with a focal amp. Whatever settings tried, it isn't as smooth as the i20. This is the conclusion I came up with, the stocks on Ford was 5 x8 for a reason. When we added a larger speaker thr sound objects became larger which in that small space became conjested sounding. May be next time if someone is working on smaller cars consider smaller drivers like 5,25 instead of 6.5. If anybody has experienced similar, then comment here!
Not just size of the cabin, but lot other factors like the space beneath the drivers, the distance between your tweeter and mids (in case of components), the distance between the driver and the windshield, the distance between the floor of the car and your mid bass ..all of them matter.
The Figos operate a 5 x 7 size which is slightly below your knees (when you sit) whereas i20 employs traditional Round 6" slot which is near your ankles. Also the size of the basket matters since if you opt for a larger sized speakers, the surrounds tend to run against the door pads during excursion. This usually produces muddy and a sound far away from being called clear !

Not just size of the cabin, but lot other factors like the space beneath the drivers, the distance between your tweeter and mids (in case of components), the distance between the driver and the windshield, the distance between the floor of the car and your mid bass ..all of them matter.
The Figos operate a 5 x 7 size which is slightly below your knees (when you sit) whereas i20 employs traditional Round 6" slot which is near your ankles. Also the size of the basket matters since if you opt for a larger sized speakers, the surrounds tend to run against the door pads during excursion. This usually produces muddy and a sound far away from being called clear !
The figos system is installed at a professional place and they have done a amazing work on it though it is costed more than the price of the hu and the amp together!! There is 0 distortion. Nothing is rubbing on the panel with the largest excursion for sure. But the problem is the space itself. The i20 doesn't even have an amp and just has the damping done with entry level jbls. But it's the arrangement itself. 6.5 is far from the ears on i20 and the sound is relaviely not hot. But in the cae of figo 6.5s are relatively close to the ear level and they are shouty therefore. To day we exchaged thr speakers to see if was the speakers itself. But unfortunately not.

Also
Like you said: lot of factors. On a simple note i20 is more audio friendly by default due to everything you said.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back