How important is the speaker power rating ?

argho

Guys,

Hope someone can explain this to me.

Say I am buying an AV receiver which is rated at 105 watts per channel, and I like a speaker package rated at 100 watts per channel, is it a problem ?

Does the power rating of the speaker always have to more than that of the amp ? Is there a possibiity of "blowing up" the speaker ?

And can someone pls explain the ohms part.

Apologies for these very basic questions.

Amp rating shld be little more than spk one.The reason is spk behavier,ie.
When amp sends signal to spk,it is said spk too sends opposite current towards amp & amp has to cancel it & send new signal.For that reason amp rating higher than spk is always better(when running in full load).
@lower vol there wont be any prob otherway.

Can I know the amp & speaker model n make
IMHO most of AVR ratings arev exaggerated -in fact vintage 30 W X 2 sometimes sound powerful than 100 x 5 AVR!!

Can I know the amp & speaker model n make
IMHO most of AVR ratings arev exaggerated -in fact vintage 30 W X 2 sometimes sound powerful than 100 x 5 AVR!!

The amp I was considering is the Denon 2310. Rated at 105 watts * 7.

Speakers :
Polk RTi A1 fronts (125 watt)
Polk RM 705 5.1 speaker set for Centre, surrounds, rear and sub (100 watt rating)

Concern is on whether the Polk RM705 can handle the output put from the Denon 2310.

Grateful for yr comments.

I strongly feel that this is overkill. Though the speakers will handle the AVR, such high AVR is not needed at all.

Looking at your choice of speakers, I would stick to Denon 1910. If you have the budget spend the extra to Upgrade the RM705 package which is very average. you could get the RTi series centre, PSW 110 sub and 4 OWM3 satellites for surrounds. Here the system will be well matched.

This package Package of Centre, 4 surrounds + Sub costs about 20k more than than RM705 package. You save 15k on buying 1910 instead of 2310. For 5k extra there will be day and night difference in the audio. Centre speaker is the most used when watching movies and here the RM705 falls way below RTi. Also the 10" PSW Sub is way better than RM705 (this is 6 or 8").

Regards,
Raghav

The amp I was considering is the Denon 2310. Rated at 105 watts * 7.

Speakers :
Polk RTi A1 fronts (125 watt)
Polk RM 705 5.1 speaker set for Centre, surrounds, rear and sub (100 watt rating)

Concern is on whether the Polk RM705 can handle the output put from the Denon 2310.

Grateful for yr comments.

I strongly feel that this is overkill. Though the speakers will handle the AVR, such high AVR is not needed at all.

Looking at your choice of speakers, I would stick to Denon 1910. If you have the budget spend the extra to Upgrade the RM705 package which is very average. you could get the RTi series centre, PSW 110 sub and 4 OWM3 satellites for surrounds. Here the system will be well matched.

This package Package of Centre, 4 surrounds + Sub costs about 20k more than than RM705 package. You save 15k on buying 1910 instead of 2310. For 5k extra there will be day and night difference in the audio. Centre speaker is the most used when watching movies and here the RM705 falls way below RTi. Also the 10" PSW Sub is way better than RM705 (this is 6 or 8").

Regards,
Raghav

Thanks Raghav.
However, have a limitation on the size of speakers I can put up in my living room (limitation set by wife). The centre speaker from the RTi or TSi series is huge. There is just no way that I could put it up.

Then take a look at Wharrfedale 9.1 + 9 Home Cinema Package (5.1). The 9HCP is superior to the RM705, again especially the centre and sub. Also the centre is quite small and wife friendly.

It would be around 5-7k more than Polks but you also get speaker wires with the Wharfies. If 9HCP is also big then stick to the Polks.

Raghav

Thanks Raghav.
However, have a limitation on the size of speakers I can put up in my living room (limitation set by wife). The centre speaker from the RTi or TSi series is huge. There is just no way that I could put it up.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back