How is Marantz 8003 pre power combo?

Ashish,
What happened to your money invested in 905? Are you able to recover it?

Why not buy 4 identical stereo power amps to power the front/ center and surround speakers. It may take a lot of space, but should be a better amplification option. Do you have a 7.x or 5.x system?
If you like power of sonodyne, and given that they are not that expensive, you can easily get a lot of power. Storing them would be a big problem though.

regards

From the earlier posts, I'm not sure, what you are expecting from a pre/pro - Power combo.

I have seen & heard the Marantz combo you mentioned, for audio , yes the pre-pro will compete with other top performers. personally I see the DSD decoding feature as a plus. But I feel the video upscaling section is only so so. I cant comment on the power amp much because it was a very brief listening session. I believe that all well designed amps sound good. Marantz makes pretty good products, so I dont think its a big concern.

If Video upscaling is as important to you as Audio, look elsewhere.

BTW, is this the price for Marantz combo in India? or you just converted the US price into INR?

Marantz is using the Anchor Bay technologies for Upscaling here so it has to be top notch. The price I have mentioned is Ex Delhi for new. The DSD feature you have mentioned is even there on 905.

Last edited:
I am not sure of the Marantz higher end models.I have never auditioned them. I see your point of long term investment. I suggest you ask the pro acoustics people to bring the marantz to your house and test it on your set-up. This shall give you a fairly good idea of the marantz.

However, I firmly believe in 'relativity'. You will be in a better position to judge the quality of Marantz if you have your 905 alongside for comparison. I suggest pressurize the Onkyo people to repair the same at the earliest and then call the Marantz guys.

Also, ask the pro acoustics people if they are willing to buy-back the onkyo for 8003 combo. I don't think they'll do, but its worth a try.

How much did you pay for the 905?

Sumit.

I paid 90K for 905 brand new. Also I am getting the deal for new 8003 combo from the dealer whom I purchased the 905 from but he wouln't adjust the 905 right now and would wait for its actual sale. So I would have to pay full price for my new setup.

Last edited:
Ashish,
What happened to your money invested in 905? Are you able to recover it?

Why not buy 4 identical stereo power amps to power the front/ center and surround speakers. It may take a lot of space, but should be a better amplification option. Do you have a 7.x or 5.x system?
If you like power of sonodyne, and given that they are not that expensive, you can easily get a lot of power. Storing them would be a big problem though.

regards

No man, I am highly disapponted here with the Onkyo's service, the AVR is not older than 8 months but being bought from Singapore so warranty is out of the question. I am thinking of buying another AVR here and would sell 905 after it gets reapired. I have a 7.1 setup. I had a spare 705 which I have sold so now I am left with my old Denon 1403 AVr which I am using at present with the RTIA3 bookshelves as the main and my tower speakers are lying idle, as the Denon doesn't have pre outs so I cannot use my poweramp too.

Last edited:
Today I have recieved a Phone Call from Onkyo Service Center for the approval of the estimate i.e An Insane amount of Rs 50K, in which they would replace the Eprom Chip and HDMI Board. I want the suggestion of you guys that what shoud I do?
Should I get it repaired at this insane cost?
Should I sell the same as it is?
Should I talk to these guys as the main Cost here is coming for HDMI Board, which was perfectly all right when I had given my set for repair to them, but now there is no audio through any of the HDMI sources.

Please help me here.

Ashish, this is actually insane.

Thing is, Onkyo doesn't encourage people to buy from abroad and hence they are doing this to you. I suggest, first take the AVR back from them.

Now, you have three choices:
a) Send the AVR back to singapore and get it repaired for free. You do pay for shipping but it will be cheaper than 50k. Or maybe you can keep it with you and whenever you plan to go to Singapore again....take it along and get it fixed.
b)try to get it fixed in the used market. I would request other members to help Ashish with addresses and contact details.
c) sell as it is. but, be ready to loose a lotttt of dough. I won't recommend this.

You have to be patient here.

Sumit

Ashish, this is actually insane.

Thing is, Onkyo doesn't encourage people to buy from abroad and hence they are doing this to you. I suggest, first take the AVR back from them.

Now, you have three choices:
a) Send the AVR back to singapore and get it repaired for free. You do pay for shipping but it will be cheaper than 50k. Or maybe you can keep it with you and whenever you plan to go to Singapore again....take it along and get it fixed.
b)try to get it fixed in the used market. I would request other members to help Ashish with addresses and contact details.
c) sell as it is. but, be ready to loose a lotttt of dough. I won't recommend this.

You have to be patient here.

Sumit

Sumit Thanks for your suggestions, I am open to all kinds of suggestions here and I am getting in touch with the dealer whom I bought it from, in the mean while I have also spoken to another dealer and he might work out a deal for me in which I might end up exchanging it with the newer model offcourse with a lot of price difference but he has given me an estimate exchange price of 50K for my 905 as it is. (Might even come down)

Exchannge for a newer model of what...Onkyo? But, you wanted a pre-power.

I suggest you show the AVR in Ghaffar or palika. It will be a bit heavy to carry but survey the area first and then carry after you get some positive feedbacks.

Actually, I probably have to go to palika tomorrow and I shall look into it.

Also, I know these two great engnieers in Meerut who can practically repair anything. One of them installed a optical surge isolator for one of my testing instruments!! There hasn't been a surge since.

Sumit.

Exchannge for a newer model of what...Onkyo? But, you wanted a pre-power.

I suggest you show the AVR in Ghaffar or palika. It will be a bit heavy to carry but survey the area first and then carry after you get some positive feedbacks.

Actually, I probably have to go to palika tomorrow and I shall look into it.

Also, I know these two great engnieers in Meerut who can practically repair anything. One of them installed a optical surge isolator for one of my testing instruments!! There hasn't been a surge since.

Sumit.

Please let me know both about palika and also the engineer in Meerut as I have all the circuit diagrams for the 905 so this thing might help as they could even rectify the HDMI board rather than changing it completely.

My setup includes Polk RTiA series speakers. RTIA7, towers, CSIA6 Center, FXIA6 Surrounds, RtIA3 rear surrounds, Polk DSW Pro 600 Sub, Panasonic PT AE1000E Projector, Sony PS3, Nintendo Wii, Tata Sky+ set-top Box,Onkyo Ipod Dock with 60GB IPOD and 16GB Iphone (Contains apple lossless format music), Oppo BDP83 (Ordered with multi region hardware MOD), Onkyo Nr905 AVR. Sonodyne's Power Amp 2 Channel SPA202,APC 1.5 KVA UPS, Microtec 1KVA UPS for projector,QED 15m HDMI Cable, QED Power Cord, DAC Power Cord, DAC Spike guard, DAC 12AWG speaker cables,Monster Analog Interconnectors.
I will be using this setup in a dedicated theatre room size of 22x30. Recently I thought of upgrading my AVR with the PRE and Power Combo of Marantz mentioned in my question and I am getting the same for 180K in New Delhi.
As you see my setup is more for movies than Music but I do ocassionally listen to music through my ipod connected to my setup in pure direct mode.

Hi Ashish,
Just read every reply in the discussion hence i had to ask and hope that you could finally get rid of the problem?

Hi Ashish,
Just read every reply in the discussion hence i had to ask and hope that you could finally get rid of the problem?

Yes I got it repaired from Onkyo and it costed me 43.5K in which they replaced the HDMI board and E2Prom Chip in the reciever.
The Plus point is that I got a 6 months warranty from Onkyo for the repairs carried on to my AVR.

Yes I got it repaired from Onkyo and it costed me 43.5K in which they replaced the HDMI board and E2Prom Chip in the reciever.
The Plus point is that I got a 6 months warranty from Onkyo for the repairs carried on to my AVR.

hey ashish i'm scared yaar i already order onkyo 876 and after reading the problme with your 905 i'm worried

what's actually happen to your 905 please please reply :sad:

hey ashish i'm scared yaar i already order onkyo 876 and after reading the problme with your 905 i'm worried

what's actually happen to your 905 please please reply :sad:

I had performed a firmware upgrade on the AVR, the E2prom chip in the AVR was defective, which was causing memory loss in the AVR, and as it was out of warranty due to the fact that I had got it from Singapore the Onkyo people took me for a ride and might have replaced my HDMI board with a faulty one for which they charged me 40K and the rest they charged me for the E2prom IC.

I had no choice left as I had bought it just 6 months back so I had to get it repaired even at this insane price.

hey hey,

let me share my experience with you. I have had an audition in Dubai of this combo and the only thing came to my mind after is wow! its good. its not very good but its better then what we have. I would suggest you to wait and go for things like Anthem or arcam AVR6000 if I am correct. they are mind blowing in sound quality as well as for movies.

good luck for your search.

also, are you up for Friday premier then? if yes I would need 6 tickets excluding 2 little ones we have. Could you please let me know how to go forward.

take care bud,

swat

hey hey,

let me share my experience with you. I have had an audition in Dubai of this combo and the only thing came to my mind after is wow! its good. its not very good but its better then what we have. I would suggest you to wait and go for things like Anthem or arcam AVR6000 if I am correct. they are mind blowing in sound quality as well as for movies.

good luck for your search.

also, are you up for Friday premier then? if yes I would need 6 tickets excluding 2 little ones we have. Could you please let me know how to go forward.

take care bud,

swat
I have sent you a Pm so look at that. Also for the pre power combo I have prosponed my decision of further upgrade as of now, and the AVR model from Arcam is AVR 600 and not 6000 but it has lots of bugs and is heavly priced at 250K

I had performed a firmware upgrade on the AVR, the E2prom chip in the AVR was defective, which was causing memory loss in the AVR, and as it was out of warranty due to the fact that I had got it from Singapore the Onkyo people took me for a ride and might have replaced my HDMI board with a faulty one for which they charged me 40K and the rest they charged me for the E2prom IC.

I had no choice left as I had bought it just 6 months back so I had to get it repaired even at this insane price.

bro i don't want software upgrade so it means mine onkyo 876 will work fine :sad:

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back