Marantz PM 8006 as power amplifier

AP@1992

Hello folks,

To all marantz PM 8006 owners.

Have you guys tried using a quality preamp/tube pre amp with PM 8006 (power amplifier direct mode/using it as a power amplifier only). Any experience in this regard.

Thanks & Regards

I have used 8006 in past as a Pre and Power, but the Marantz house sound disappears once you disconnect the pre power sections.
I would use the marantz as is for its sound signature.

I have used 8006 in past as a Pre and Power, but the Marantz house sound disappears once you disconnect the pre power sections.
I would use the marantz as is for its sound signature.

You are right.

The house sound is due to proprietary HDAM, which is used in the preamp section. Bypassing that will definitely take away it's soul. I was wondering if anyone has installed a well builtl/HQ tube preamp and whether Marantz was able to faithfully scale up.

You are right.

The house sound is due to proprietary HDAM, which is used in the preamp section. Bypassing that will definitely take away it's soul. I was wondering if anyone has installed a well builtl/HQ tube preamp and whether Marantz was able to faithfully scale up.
I had lot of expectations before going for pm8006. While it is good pairing with Dali Opticon 6, something is still lacking. Not sure how to put in words. May be my room or the source (Eversolo ME). But I was expecting it to be wow out of the box, which it isn’t. I am still working on it 😊

G
I had lot of expectations before going for pm8006. While it is good pairing with Dali Opticon 6, something is still lacking. Not sure how to put in words. May be my room or the source (Eversolo ME). But I was expecting it to be wow out of the box, which it isn’t. I am still working on it 😊
Give it some time.

Before going *all tube all the time* this amp was my main stay and I had kept it after getting rid of all SS amp.

Although I don't use it anymore and plan to sell it, I still consider this as a amp tailor made for those who don't have a great collection of high quality files.

G
Give it some time.

Before going *all tube all the time* this amp was my main stay and I had kept it after getting rid of all SS amp.

Although I don't use it anymore and plan to sell it, I still consider this as a amp tailor made for those who don't have a great collection of high quality files.
Sure, may be all three relatively new, needs some so called burn-in time!

I have 8006 paired with Dali Rubicon 6 FS speakers. Like you, I also felt something is missing. I tried with some class D power amps, not impressed. Then I hooked it up to a borrowed Denon PMA 2500NE, with the Marantz working as a pre and the Denon working as a power. Boy oh Boy... what fun. All frequency range clarity improved. The little hint of brightness from the ribbon twitters were smoothened, low and mid bass became really fast and tight. It's not just the additional power, it's the high damping factor that totally changed the bottom end.
I'm planning to add a strong power amp in the line in future. Rotel, Anthem and Arcam are some brands that I'm considering.
TLDR.. there is no replacement for displacement, and 8006's pretty modest power amp section can always get by with a little help from its friends..

To further update, I got what I was looking for by pairing Marantz PM8006 with Indiq Diamond Achals, with slight modification in my streamer equalizer. It's a great combo and works perfect for me. I wouldn't change them moving forward. I am happy I don't have to sell my amp now :)
Curious to know what settings you applied. Also, how effective is the newly added eq to DMP A6

Curious to know what settings you applied. Also, how effective is the newly added eq to DMP A6​
Sure. First the streamer is WiiMpro. I selected eq "Rock" from Eq filter and from there made slight adjustments to my liking (close to V shape) and saved the custom EQ. The Marantz Bass and Tremble is set to 12'o clock position (adjustable according to the genre played), but kept the mid's to slightly above from '0' position. The output produced is to my liking (it may vary person to person) to hear my preferred music genre.

I did not try with A6 at present. Though it has equalizer options, it does not have preset filters like rock, pop, jazz etc., from where I can further customize. Also from it's default position, it is making me lot of effort to bring to the perfect shape I like to. This is still doable and I am sure it may add up from what Wiim pro is currently giving. I need some more free time to do that testing. However for now, I am more than satisfied with this setting paired with Diamond Achals.

I wish Eversolo in future updates, bring in preset filters as well so that people who aren't too technical can still play around with various filters.

Hope I answered your question.

Sure. First the streamer is WiiMpro. I selected eq "Rock" from Eq filter and from there made slight adjustments to my liking (close to V shape) and saved the custom EQ. The Marantz Bass and Tremble is set to 12'o clock position (adjustable according to the genre played), but kept the mid's to slightly above from '0' position. The output produced is to my liking (it may vary person to person) to hear my preferred music genre.

I did not try with A6 at present. Though it has equalizer options, it does not have preset filters like rock, pop, jazz etc., from where I can further customize. Also from it's default position, it is making me lot of effort to bring to the perfect shape I like to. This is still doable and I am sure it may add up from what Wiim pro is currently giving. I need some more free time to do that testing. However for now, I am more than satisfied with this setting paired with Diamond Achals.

I wish Eversolo in future updates, bring in preset filters as well so that people who aren't too technical can still play around with various filters.

Hope I answered your question.

As I understand, you are streaming from Wiim into A6 and using A6 for DAC?

I would strongly suggest you to stream and use DAC of A6 together. Also, use the Eversolo App and from there play from tial/Amazon/apple music (from the app itself). There is a big difference in sound quality as compared to external streamer and/or Spotify connect.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back