How much does it cost to build a high end htpc

Depends on what you need to do with it?

For streaming media there are Android TV boxes that will do the job for a fraction of the cost of a HTPC.

Different configurations are required for the end user application. For a gaming PC there can be different components, graphics high end workstations can also get expensive. Music and HTPC need not be very expensive as an average graphics card can do a decent job at rendering video, or provide HDMI output.

It may cost in crores if you go for pure gold diamond studded cabinet. All the components should be made out of pure gold with silver connectors and custom made.
Oh.. sounds really interesting..
Can't we go with gold connectors instead of silver connectors ?
Can carbon fiber be used to make the chassis stronger and lighter ?

I have built on in 2010. This is what it costed me

AMD Phenom II X4 965 black edition 3.4 Mhz Rs 9300
Cooler Master ATX Case HAF 932 (RC-932-KKN1) - 10504
Corsair TW3X4G1333C9DHX DDR3 4X2GB - 13000
PSU Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 460W - 2692
Motherboard MSI 790GX-G65 - 6900
IR Control Antec Multimedia Station Premier - 10000
LG GH22NS50 22X SATA DVD BURNER - 2100
GeForce GT 710 2GB DDR5 ZE - 8000
Hard disks 3TB - 8000
TP Link WL781ND (with ad-hoc/infrastructure mode) - 659
Xonar Essence ST card - around Rs 10000 (if i recall)
ESI Juli@ Soundcard Rs 14000
OS Fedora Core / openSUSE Tumbleweed - Rs 0
Total - 87155

Primary Usage : Listening to music using Clementine audio player
Secondary Usage: watching movies / TV Shows using Kodi

OS Fedora Core / openSUSE Tumblewee
Why Fedora or Open Suse? Any specific reason or audiophile related software tweak that's unique to this build?
Aren't the media consumption oriented forks of Ubuntu which claim audiophile user friendliness worth considering?

Why Fedora or Open Suse? Any specific reason or audiophile related software tweak that's unique to this build?
Aren't the media consumption oriented forks of Ubuntu which claim audiophile user friendliness worth considering?
There is nothing audiophile about Ubuntu, Fedora or openSUSE. These are just desktop environments. Ubuntu and Debian uses deb packages for package management while fedora and openSUSE uses RPM (Red Hat Package Manager) for package management. I am a programmer and write packages for Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Red Hat, Fedora, openSUSE, SUSE and hence know the intricacies of building packages. The RPM package management is much superior to debian package management. You just have to write one spec file. For writing debian package you have to create too many files (rules, preinst, postinst, changelog, compat, blah blah blah). It is so unproductive. Also with Fedora and openSUSE Tumbleweed you always get the latest updates, the latest kernel (unlike Ubuntu which is always few months behind). The only issue with Fedora and Tumbleweed is very short life cycles. Every fedora update gets obsolete in 6 months. Tumbleweed gets new snapshots almost every week. Both of them provide the latest hotfixes to any software/driver

audiophile depends on how to have the minimum latency. Use the proper kernel and alsa drivers and stay away from pulseaudio. Also you need a music player that supports ALSA driver. For me it is clementine because of the projectM visualizations and I have hacked the clementine music player to behave as per my liking. You can have audiophile setting with any linux distro. Among the distros, Ubuntu is probably the easiest. My son uses Ubuntu.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back