How to add a Actieve Subwoofer to a Bookshelf(Active) ?

Hi, Is it possible to add an active subwoofer to a active bookshelf speakers to get a nice 2.1 set up ?. I had these Active bookshelf speakers in mind
Swans M200A,Swans D1080MKll,Edifier R1750BT,Swans 1080IV or Mackie CR5BT ? My source will be PC. It has a sound card with digital out

Is it digital out only available in your sound card ?
Is it optical or coax out or hdmi
Share the model of your sound card.
Btw Ans for your questions,
Imo basic model Active bookshelf speakers will not have digital input.

Is it digital out only available in your sound card ?
Is it optical or coax out or hdmi
Share the model of your sound card.
Btw Ans for your questions,
Imo basic model Active bookshelf speakers will not have digital input.
My sound card is ASUS Xonar DG which has Optical and 3.5 jack out

As per the info given by you, if you are sure that ur pc is having the graphics card model for which manual is attached.
If it is possible to configure your computer audio for 2.1. with help of gpu settings ,
Then i would say it is possible to use for 2.1 setup with Active speakers you mentioned with dedicated active subwoofer.
You have to use the output connector port number 1 for Active speakers and connector number 3 with 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable as image attached.in that 3rd socket
one cable will be carrying your center channel mid freq signal other cable will be carrying low freq signal (sub).Find them out and connect it.

Attachments

• 91Oge46SeSL.pdf
    994.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20180523-052348.jpg
    Screenshot_20180523-052348.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 7
If the idea is to simply supplement the bass performance of the bookshelf speakers, then the analog audio can be given to the sub, and the satellite output from the sub given to the bookshelves.

Almost all subs will have a crossover with a high pass output for this purpose.

If the requirement is to just add a sub, then simply add a fiio d03k which will convert your sound cards digital out to analog. Feed the output to the Sub. Next get a sub that has low/line level out to connect your active speakers. You could use the crossover on sub or on the active speakers to fine tune the setup.

MaSh

Edifier got optical
If the requirement is to just add a sub, then simply add a fiio d03k which will convert your sound cards digital out to analog. Feed the output to the Sub. Next get a sub that has low/line level out to connect your active speakers. You could use the crossover on sub or on the active speakers to fine tune the setup.

MaSh
Hi, I like to listen mp3s(320kbps) from a 2.1 set up.If I buy a Swans M200A (2.0) can I hook up a Polk Audio PSW125 Sub later through this Fiio D03K DAC.(my idea is to connect swan through RCA out, and the 3.5 out/line out of the DAC can connect the Sub with the healp of 3.5 to RCA cable ? is it possible what is your thoughts ?

It is possible in principle, but since you are doing two separate connections, aligning the rollover frequency and the relative levels will take some work. It is better to route the entire audio via the sub and take the top end alone into the bookshelf. Please ensure the sub you buy has a satellite output preferably with an adjustable rollover frequency

It is possible in principle, but since you are doing two separate connections, aligning the rollover frequency and the relative levels will take some work. It is better to route the entire audio via the sub and take the top end alone into the bookshelf. Please ensure the sub you buy has a satellite output preferably with an adjustable rollover frequency
Sir I am trying to skip the amp. But I don’t know how it’s work ? hope someone can put some light on it!

Edifier got optical

Hi, I like to listen mp3s(320kbps) from a 2.1 set up.If I buy a Swans M200A (2.0) can I hook up a Polk Audio PSW125 Sub later through this Fiio D03K DAC.(my idea is to connect swan through RCA out, and the 3.5 out/line out of the DAC can connect the Sub with the healp of 3.5 to RCA cable ? is it possible what is your thoughts ?
No, I would not recommend two separate connections. You might encounter delays in one of the connections. Try to maintain a single chain of connection. Pc to fiio to sub to speaker. Fiio to sub to speaker would be RCA connection. Pc to fiio would be digital.

You can get any sub as long as it has a pair of line level inputs as well as outputs. Avoid using 3.5mm headphone out anywhere.

MaSh

No, I would not recommend two separate connections. You might encounter delays in one of the connections. Try to maintain a single chain of connection. Pc to fiio to sub to speaker. Fiio to sub to speaker would be RCA connection. Pc to fiio would be digital.

You can get any sub as long as it has a pair of line level inputs as well as outputs. Avoid using 3.5mm headphone out anywhere.

MaSh
00308C39-E693-4863-AFAB-D52415DE354A.jpeg

This is the sub’s back look like(Polk Audio PSW125). The speaker in and speaker out connections looks like they are for passive speakers. Am correct ?. How can I connect an active bookshelf to this setup?

With this sub there is no option to pass the audio via the sub since it does not have line level satellite out. Also I do not see any crossover frequency adjustment knob so maybe it is simply passing the entire signal out. The best thing to do is to not purchase this sub if that is an option.

If you cannot change the sub, you can only have two parallel connections and fiddle around till you get audio that sounds good to you. That's all that ultimately matters.

This is the sub’s back look like(Polk Audio PSW125). The speaker in and speaker out connections looks like they are for passive speakers. Am correct ?. How can I connect an active bookshelf to this setup?

Nope this will not work. To use this Sub you need the Signal coming from an amplifier. The Sub will not be powered by the amp, it will only taste the signal and pass on the signal to passive speakers.

An example sub:
51CxNZfU40L.jpg

Thonet & Vander Sw10

MaSh

I am again confused!.The sub that I posted was a Active sub-woofer!

Yes so is the one I gave as an example. What is important to notice is the Inputs on the Sub. What I meant is that the Inputs on the Sub need to be used with an Amplifier. The Sub will not use the amplification, only taste it and pass it on to its own built in amplifier, the rest of the amplified signal is sent to the Speakers.

MaSh

As per the info given by you, if you are sure that ur pc is having the graphics card model for which manual is attached.
If it is possible to configure your computer audio for 2.1. with help of gpu settings ,
Then i would say it is possible to use for 2.1 setup with Active speakers you mentioned with dedicated active subwoofer.
You have to use the output connector port number 1 for Active speakers and connector number 3 with 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable as image attached.in that 3rd socket
one cable will be carrying your center channel mid freq signal other cable will be carrying low freq signal (sub).Find them out and connect it.
@Manoj Madhavan since you are in a starting stage of the hf journey .imo above mentioned could be your better and cheaper option without spending additionally.
Did u checked 2.1 config on your sound card settings?

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back