How to burn a DVD-Audio from FLAC files

akhil7j

Hi,

Is it possible to burn an Audio DVD from FLAC files? Reason is just more capacity. An audio-dvd will have 4.3GB of data and CD has just 700mb. And, will i be able to play it on any DVD player?

Although i searched a little and came to know that I need a DVD authoring s/w which is not easily available for free. And DVD-A is usually for 96/24 recording. But I just wanted the same format of Audio CD to be written on DVD.

DVD Audio is a different standard.If you want flac on DVD then write it as a data dvd and use your computer to play it. You can play flac files on any dvd player if the player supports flac format.

If you have the Cue file, you can create audio CDs from most formats including FLAC using Nero. For burning on to a DVD, just choose DVD instead of CD in Nero, though why waste so much space? All DVD players can read a regular Audio CD.

Cheers

If you have the Cue file, you can create audio CDs from most formats including FLAC using Nero. For burning on to a DVD, just choose DVD instead of CD in Nero, though why waste so much space? All DVD players can read a regular Audio CD.
Cheers

That is what I do as of now. Burn the cue-image files with nero on a CD. But I was just thinking if I can burn 3-4 cue-image files on a single DVD instead of burning 3-4 CDs. In Nero, there is no option of DVD-Audio like CD-Audio thats why i was thinking if i can do so.

You can play flac files on any dvd player if the player supports flac format.

I dont think the normal cheap DVD players are capable of playing flac unlike high end like Oppo, Sony BD, Samsung BD.

But I was just thinking if I can burn 3-4 cue-image files on a single DVD instead of burning 3-4 CDs. In Nero, there is no option of DVD-Audio like CD-Audio thats why i was thinking if i can do so.

You may have to use DVD-RW, if there is such a creature. Once you close a write session, you cannot open the media again. Another option is to create a virtual drive, fill it up with as many Cue-File combinations as you wish, and then write the virtual drive to a DVD once. That is the theory. We have to see how to do that practically.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi,

Is it possible to burn an Audio DVD from FLAC files? Reason is just more capacity. An audio-dvd will have 4.3GB of data and CD has just 700mb. And, will i be able to play it on any DVD player?

Although i searched a little and came to know that I need a DVD authoring s/w which is not easily available for free. And DVD-A is usually for 96/24 recording. But I just wanted the same format of Audio CD to be written on DVD.

You can do this using Audio DVD Creator - not sure of the cost. You can write Wav files in their original format and fit in more songs. The end disc plays like any normal video DVD on any normal DVD player. You can even write high resolution audio files (like 96/24). You can write around 60 (on an average) normal audio files or around 25 wav files at 96/24 per DVD (single layer).

Regds / Shailender

You may have to use DVD-RW, if there is such a creature. Once you close a write session, you cannot open the media again. Another option is to create a virtual drive, fill it up with as many Cue-File combinations as you wish, and then write the virtual drive to a DVD once. That is the theory. We have to see how to do that practically.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

You didnt get my point. Instead of writing 12 songs on a CD, I want to write 40 songs on a DVD. The audio CD format is cddi i suppose, i want the same format in DVD. Or different format but lossless and DVD player should be able to play it. Reason is, I will require less space on my CD Rack because 1 DVD will have 4 albums. :)

And since there is a format called DVD-A, I was trying figure out how to burn a DVD-A.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

You can do this using Audio DVD Creator - not sure of the cost. You can write Wav files in their original format and fit in more songs. The end disc plays like any normal video DVD on any normal DVD player. You can even write high resolution audio files (like 96/24). You can write around 60 (on an average) normal audio files or around 25 wav files at 96/24 per DVD (single layer).

Regds / Shailender

Thanks a lot man. Now this i have to give a try. Hopefully Audio DVD Creator wont be much expensive. :)

I got it. I downloaded the trail version but the problem is, there is some driver issue with Win7. Moreover i tested that this s/w cannot import FLAC files. Though the website says it imports. So i think I have to convert my FLAC to WAV to burn the DVD.
Yes it wont be a DVD-A which requires DVD authoring s/w to burn it and requires special players to play that DVD. It will be a normal Video DVD but for the video part there will be just an image. But i am not sure the what will be yhe format of audio. It will be PCM but which extention, no idea. Anyway, who cares if it will be lossless. ;)

Thanks for the help guys. :)

Audio DVD creator does not accept Flac files. There are many free apps available to convert Flac to Wav.

Audio DVD is not to be confused with DVD-A.

Regds / Shailender

This is what their website says:

Import Windows Media Format(.wma, .wmv, .asf), Real Media(.rm), OGG, FLAC, AC3 and AVI files via DirectShow Filter

This is what FAQs says:

Which types of media files can be added to Audio DVD?

Audio DVD Creator supports:
MP3, WAV, Windows Media Format(.wma, .wmv, .asf), Real Media(.rm), OGG, FLAC, AC3 and AVI.

For FLAC it says i need directshow filter.

This website doesnt work but I have FLAC Dshow decoder and I pasted the .dll file in the plugins folder. Still didnt work.

Yeah, i have many tools to convert. dbpoweramp is good for converting audio i think. Infact Foobar also doest this job well.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back