How to buy from US

preet27

Hi there folks if anyone could help me out here, i was hoping to buy a display from US, and since i have a few relatives in US i want to buy it from there and then they can send it to me here in INDIA, now what i wanted to ask is how should i go about it coz right now i am totally clueless about the taxes and everything, and if anyone else has some (bitter or good, both)experience regarding this please do shed some light, i am really hoping for a good response from here, also since my relatives aern't visitng INDIA in the near future it will probably be parceled to me here, How should i go about the entrie procedure.

Thanks !!

Hi,

If you want your relatives to sent it to you, ask them to contact a logistics company like ICC worldwide, DTDC, etc., who can transport the item from |US to India, in which case you will be paying 25-35% of its value as customs and around 10-15% for shipping.

Or you can simply use companies like 20north, global ebay, etc., who can take care of all of it, without bothering your relatives.

Happy Hifivisioning!

What are you trying to source from US? Is it a special purpose display or a normal TV for day-to-day use?

Apart from the shipping charges depending on the weight, dimensions of the package and mode of shipping (air/sea), you need to pay 30% customs duty (approximately) on the total value (TV price + US taxes + shipping charges).

You need to ensure that the TV/display is packed very carefully so that it will endure the transit and customs inspections, if any.

Having said that, I have to also say that sourcing a TV from USA for normal usage will be a near insane thing to do, given the PAL/NTSC issues, the 110v power requirements and more than anything else, the choices we have in India today at a decent price point.

Hi,

Yes, Skumar is very right! Sourcing a TV from US is the worst risk one could ever take.

You have lot of options available in Indian market, and also I dont see much price difference in displays comparing US and Indian market.

So, I would suggest that you think n number of times before sourcing displays.

Cheers!

Well i am going for a 54" panasonic plasma, i am mostly gonna watch HD content on it, also my main purpose is gaming,watching movies, since i have both ps3 and xbox360 and tons of games. Also one big reason is the upcoming Black friday sales in US where it's almost 50% off on that day.

Also in INDIA i find the prices way too exaggerated e.g. panny plasma 42G10 costs 70k in INDIA which is almost double compared to the listed price of teh same set in US.

Also my Chahcha g is a customs inspector so i think i can get the display out without paying the custom duty, i am trying to get the best out of my money and cutting down the middlemen.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Well i am going for a 54" panasonic plasma, i am mostly gonna watch HD content on it, also my main purpose is gaming,watching movies, since i have both ps3 and xbox360 and tons of games. Also one big reason is the upcoming Black friday sales in US where it's almost 50% off and in INDIA the price way too exaggerated a panny plasma 42G10 costs 70k in INDIA which almost double compared to the US price.

Thanks!!

Take 200% care mate!

Cheers!

What is compelling you to source this from US rather than buying it in India?

Even if you get it for 30 to 50% of Indian prices, you need to spend on shipping (the cost of which will go up because of the abnormal dimensions) and then there is a real risk of the panel breaking in transit.

You may also need to get it shipped to Delhi or other international airport where you can manage the customs transaction and then the shipping to CHD... Overall, I personally would not do this even if I am getting the TV at 25% of Indian pricing.

All the best! Keep us updated.

Last edited:
What is compelling you to source this from US rather than buying it in India?

Hmmm these are the reasons

Well i am going for a 54" panasonic plasma, i am mostly gonna watch HD content on it, also my main purpose is gaming,watching movies, since i have both ps3 and xbox360 and tons of games. Also one big reason is the upcoming Black friday sales in US where it's almost 50% off on that day.

Also in INDIA i find the prices way too exaggerated e.g. panny plasma 42G10 costs 70k in INDIA which is almost double compared to the listed price of teh same set in US.

Also my Chahcha g is a customs inspector so i think i can get the display out without paying the custom duty, i am trying to get the best out of my money and cutting down the middlemen.

Thanks!!

Well i am going for a 54" panasonic plasma, i am mostly gonna watch HD content on it, also my main purpose is gaming,watching movies, since i have both ps3 and xbox360 and tons of games. Also one big reason is the upcoming Black friday sales in US where it's almost 50% off and in INDIA the price way too exaggerated a panny plasma 42G10 costs 70k in INDIA which almost double compared to the US price.

Thanks!!

If at all you have deceided on Pano 54" It is worth buying from USA. Less than 50" is not worth buying from USA and it will be available cheaper by next summer in India:lol: Plasmas were cheaper only in USA comparing to Asia....It is best to buy during this christmas/New year....

Before going into it.. check the grey market prices here and go ahead... May be you will be lucky to get to the nearest price point here itself....

Good luck... May be I will take ur chacha help and reference if i bring heavily price goods sometime to put less duty:licklips:...

Last edited:
Hmmm these are the reasons

Thanks!!

:sad::confused::sos: Sorry to say this, I dont recommend your buying without paying customs!

Hi,

I think it is not fair on our part to source an item from overseas without paying customs! Not to sound patriotic, you must be knowing the ways it is giong to affect our nation.

But anyway it is just me! It is completely not wrong for anyone to choose the best option when available.

All the best on your purchase!

Even if you get it for 30 to 50% of Indian prices, you need to spend on shipping (the cost of which will go up because of the abnormal dimensions) and then there is a real risk of the panel breaking in transit.

You may also need to get it shipped to Delhi or other international airport where you can manage the customs transaction and then the shipping to CHD... Overall, I personally would not do this even if I am getting the TV at 25% of Indian pricing.

PS: I edited a previous post of mine in this thread and added the above text, then I saw that there are many responses and reposting the same.

Hi,

I think it is not fair on our part to source an item from overseas without paying customs! Not to sound patriotic, you must be knowing the ways it is giong to affect our nation.

But anyway it is just me! It is completely not wrong for anyone to choose the best option when available.

All the best on your purchase!

Ok well i have seen very closely what happens in INDIA regarding customs, do u think these people who r importing TV's from US are paying customs, NO sir they are not they get their shipment out by giving gifts to higher officials in customs dept. and i just don't wanna get robbed by robbers, when their crores of shipment can get in INDIA and then they literally rob us of our money here in INDIA, i am just trying to do the snesible thing and my few thousands won't make a difference when there are crores being smuggled by the so called dealers, and i don't think i am doing anything wrong by outwitting them, but i appreciate your opinion though.

Thanks!!

PS: I edited a previous post of mine in this thread and added the above text, then I saw that there are many responses and reposting the same.

Thanks, well that is the part i am most confused about how should i ship it, i am not afraid of what will happen to the customs duty, or the quality of the product since my relatives in US can pick it up and make sure that it is parcelled properly and even after the shipping cost being taken as 20% the price is still coming out to be half of what i will have to pay if i bought this item here in INDIA, my main gripe in this situation is how to go about the mailing process,which would be the best and the safest method to parcel a 54" diaplay from US, also Will i have to pay the customs duty in US only coz as far as my knowledge of customs go if the proudct reaches Indian shore and the customs duty is not paid in US they don't let the product go any further and then send u a notice to pay the duty + penalty. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
If at all you have deceided on Pano 54" It is worth buying from USA. Less than 50" is not worth buying from USA and it will be available cheaper by next summer in India:lol: Plasmas were cheaper only in USA comparing to Asia....It is best to buy during this christmas/New year....

Before going into it.. check the grey market prices here and go ahead... May be you will be lucky to get to the nearest price point here itself....

Good luck... May be I will take ur chacha help and reference if i bring heavily price goods sometime to put less duty:licklips:...

Well sure that wouldn't be a problem !

Thanks, well that is the part i am most confused about how should i ship it, i am not afraid of what will happen to the customs duty, or the quality of the product since my relatives in US can pick it up and make sure that it is parcelled properly and even after the shipping cost being taken as 20% the price is still coming out to be half of what i will have to pay if i bought this item here in INDIA, my main gripe in this situation is how to go about the mailing process,which would be the best and the safest method to parcel a 54" diaplay from US, also Will i have to pay the customs duty in US only coz as far as my knowledge of customs go if the proudct reaches Indian shore and the customs duty is not paid in US they don't let the product go any further and then send u a notice to pay the duty + penalty. Correct me if I am wrong.

You can't do much to repack the TV once bought in US, except for buying loads of thermocol sheets or other packing materials and carton sheets and then packing the TV box on the outside. You just have to hope/pray that the manufacturer's internal packing will withstand the transit.

What I have observed when I was in US is that retailers don't stock these (big LCD/Plasmas) in the showrooms but deliver them direct to home from their warehouses. I suspect one of the reasons is the risk of damage in transit and handling as the packing may only withstand careful stacking handling by people who are trained to do it, rather than the normal loaders/movers in the shops. Imagine a solitary panel being handled at multiple transit points on its journey from US to India...

The more I think about it, the more I find reasons not to do it. Your call, finally...

You don't need to pay any customs duty in US while shipping. You need to take care of it once it reached India only.

well it ain't worth buying from the US,one is issues with 110v and ntsc,sure u can buy some convertors,but it may effect the PQ.
the cost of 220v to 110v convertor to power a 54" plasma u will need to spend around 2k or more.
shipping charge would be high for a 50+inch plasma,also the chances of it getting damaged is high.
when my uncle brought is stuff from the usa via container ship,many items where damaged due to the scorching heat from the sun,the container is like oven ,is couch got damaged.also chances of water sweeping in his again high,if u have a leaking container.

You can't do much to repack the TV once bought in US, except for buying loads of thermocol sheets or other packing materials and carton sheets and then packing the TV box on the outside. You just have to hope/pray that the manufacturer's internal packing will withstand the transit.

What I have observed when I was in US is that retailers don't stock these (big LCD/Plasmas) in the showrooms but deliver them direct to home from their warehouses. I suspect one of the reasons is the risk of damage in transit and handling as the packing may only withstand careful stacking handling by people who are trained to do it, rather than the normal loaders/movers in the shops. Imagine a solitary panel being handled at multiple transit points on its journey from US to India...

The more I think about it, the more I find reasons not to do it. Your call, finally...

U r absolutely right about the part of packing...Better to take insurance for the item.. so it take cares a little of our worry...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back