How to choose audio CDs based on mastering quality?

I did not buy any audio CDs in recent days. During late 90s and early 2000s, when I use to buy I looked for the code "ADD" in audio CDs and preferred the same. I found them to be of better quality for my listening(no technical reason).

Many of the old songs will not be available in DDD as the recording was only analogue in those days.

Inspite of DDD some audio CDs were pathetic in quality, the one which I can recollect immediately is a tamil album "Minsara kanavu" by AR Rahman.

Hi People

Pls buy or pickup CD marked imported. The 2 lables are usually Virgin and universal records tht do alot of importing. you will find them at rhythm house or at Landmark in Andheri

legin

Most Indian cds have a little boost on the top. A lot of cd players are unable to resolve this resulting in the cds sounding a little bad. Otherwise i cannot really discern any major issues with Indian cds. While manufacturing quality is one aspect that can affect cd quality a more important aspect is the mastering. For English rock and pop titles try and avoid remastered cds.

Guys, Am I missing something here? The copyrights lies with a particular company. Lets say I want a particular CD in EMI/Sony quality but the copyright is with T-series (so called Rs 199/- brand). What are my options?

Ultimately we have to live with what album has copyrights with which company. I have not heard of CDs being offered in two different qualities. But may be I am wrong.

I did read this before obviously.

there is a nice option available for this. the recent eagles album, available in indian and original pressing, one red and the other brown jacket..... to compare.

Now I am 100% sure this option is not available for all the albums rather I would say for most of the albums/CDs. If few CDs are available in this format, then it can not be part of a general discussion. I dont find such options in most of music available. So, lets count it as exception since its only Eagle and for recent albums.

Its the producers who sell the music rights who decide which company CD I would be buying. Since I dont have options, I would better buy what I get. To tell you more "Aashiqui" and many other 90s songs would be on T-series, whether I like it or no. Try buying a CD/Cassette for "Kabhi Haan Kabhi Na". Whatever company it was, shut down. The product is unavailable, unless of late the rights have been resold.

This discussion is very much valid if I have FLACs/WAV/MP3 in my PC and I want to burn to my CDs. I may like to go for Rs 10/- CD than a Rs 2/- CD or whatever. This is also pertinent to point out that we must buy the original product rather than pirated stuff which does not have a mastered quality and its burnt on a cheap, low quality CD.

This question has been asked in what context, I am not sure. Because I and I am sure most of us, buy CDs for music which we like rather than any music on a CD of our choice.

Last edited:
my humble submission was in response to premji and your posts where it seemed differences between imported and indian pressings of the same album were not palpable, or possible to be evaluated owing to the lack of ready availability of such an option.

another example could be the 'meeting by the river' album, originally on WLA, also available on SaReGaMa.

i hav been a victim of the death of labels in india too. my 'gangster' CD seems like the umpteenth pressed edition. also, my search for the 'waisa bhi hota hai' OST still has come back empty. btw, 'aashiqui' is also one of my favs of the time in hindi OST.

My experience:
"Teri Sajani" - Indian compilation of sufi songs Rs.199- Excellent quality, soul stirring.

"Power Ballads" - Complilation of soft rock Rs.395 - Total crap and waste of money :mad: , can't enjoy the music at all.

Audiophile answer to the problem discussed in this thread:
"Get a $1000 CD Player" :p

Hi Sachin
Can you please provide a link to the above mentioned thread.
Thanks in anticipation.

I think it is the mastering that makes a difference. So I would look at the label before buying. Normally, SONY -BMG, EMI, Universal and Virgin are of good quality CD mastering. On other side, T-Series recordings are pathetic for a reasonably good HiFi setup. Then of course the price of mastering in a good studio will reflect in the price of the disc !!

Not to deny that the quality of the plastic disc has an appeal for the sound. Of course the optical scanner will accurately pick all the "1"s and "0"s from a good quality disc than a low quality disc that does not have good optical reflection characteristics.

Will there be an audible difference between the two (Rs. 199/- v.s Rs.399/-) ?
Other than the covering etc...
If every '1' is copied as a '1' and every '0' as a '0', i dont see any difference.
I'm also agree to this point. Bcoz i'm an audio editor.
Costlier CD's audio quality is not always better, their price difference may be dollar conversion, and royalty to the artist in their origin country.
For example if you're purchase Leonard Cohen song collection from abroad, its price may be 20 dollars. In India its price rs.399/- (world wide distribution and manufacturing through sony music, hence how can their quality better or bad?)
In India some pupils believe that all the items were good if it's manufacturing is outside India. Its not true. I've lot of experience, so i can frankly say this.

T-Series recordings are pathetic for a reasonably good HiFi setup. Then of course the price of mastering in a good studio will reflect in the price of the disc

I agree with you on T-series though they have some good recording. 1947 earth and Swades were not that bad. 1947 Earth/Jeans combo disc of mine started to flake off (more like the coating started to fade off).

The disc was a T-series cd-r. Rs.160 is pretty economic but recorded layer fading off isn't cool.

Costlier CD's audio quality is not always better, their price difference may be dollar conversion, and royalty to the artist in their origin country.

I came across a Enigma cross of changes CD at my local Music world with lil high price tag. I checked the manufacturer. It was made in Holland. I already had the Indian version, but I just bought it.

The recording was better (less loud and good high frequency) and I prefer the Holland CD over Indian. Same goes for Robert miles Dreamland album. I heard the imported one and the Indian cd and the difference can be heard.

MJ's OTW to BOTDF CDs from UK sounds pretty good. The 'epic' label sounds more robust I guess. Indian Enigma MCMXC a.D and MJ Invincible CD SQ is average. Polydor/Polygram CDs sounds good. EMI and Virgin CDs are good too.

I got Lossless 32bit/192khz Imported LP rip of MJ and Enigma albums and out of all the CDs, they sound very good.

Last edited:
Agree with that comment Sharad.I have a CD of A meeting by the river (waterlily records) and it is a really nice CD.

I have got one too. But I find waterlily CDs having very low volume, yet good recording. I have to crank up my preamp volume from 9 AM to 11 AM to get it to sound loud enough. What has been your experience?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back